back from first day at drag strip...

jch364

Registered
Kilkare opened first two wheel tuesday. weather was great. Me on the other hand, not so much....:laugh:. Try as i might i spent all day run after run and never getting under 10 untill the last run finally getting a 9.91. Not happy considering the additions from last year i did to the bike. track was hooking up nicely but man i just could not get it. I did figure a few things out though. My friend who owns a shop and did the work on the bike took her down the strip and got a 9.67 out of her. So I know she can do it... got some adjustments i need to do to the quick shifter. got to raise the gear shift up a bit. kept hitting it cutting out the motor. wheelied a cple of times because of it. Course it was the first day of the season. I expect before long i should be in the 9.7 range. after a few changes i should be doing better. Still it really is all about the rider when it comes to this sort of thing. It really isnt as easy as it looks:laugh:. After the frustration i reflected on it and more practice practice practice.......... still a great day. a few mishaps down the track but no one hurt bad so thats the most important thing.

It was a lot of fun for sure. I did discover something interesting though. this spring i put a muzzy fan blade on and put the lower temp switch on the radiator. last year the temp gauge did go above half way several times. once it was kinda high. of course i didnt let it cool any and did several runs back to back. this year i made run after run, back to back and not once did it even get to the half way mark much less go over it. i was very impressed with it. clearly it has made all the difference in the world...pretty amazing differnce really

From your signature, it soulds like you're not doing too bad. Stock wheelbase? 9.60's is a good number for a swb bike. My best all motor pass, with a piss-poor tuneup was a 9.70 in the low 140's. Seat time Seat time seat time!!! My best pass, stock after almost a year of riding the busa was a 9.92, so to get it out for the first time and be going low .90's is not bad at all. :beerchug::thumbsup:

well like i said the 9.67 was not me but my friend. of course he does this all the time and he only weighs 150lbs..lol It will get better for me im sure. its just frustrating when you know the bike can do it....at least its good to know that the bike can do it.lol....

well the second day at the drag strip has come and gone and im still working on my times. i did manage to get a 9.91 out of it but my 60ft time is awful. around 1.7 to 1.8 something lmost of the time. i really got to work on this. I have a feeling one of the problems im having other that seat time is the sprocket change i did. i had a 42 rear running last year and did consistantly better. i changed to a 39 tooth after reading brocks suggestions on slamming and prepping. im going to change it before next tuesday and give an update. i have a feeling the performance will be better... for me anyways. we shall see. its a learning process thats for sure...

Where does Brock recommend a 39 rear sprocket...? ???

On the Gen-I he normally recommends the stock 40 with a 16 on the front (17 is stock). A 39 on the rear from your 42 is KILLING you...

its in the slamming and prep of the busa section 2. last paragraph.....as i recall. and i agree it is prob killing me... no worries though thats about to get fixed:laugh:

congrats on the 9sec,,,,Ive rode for better than 30p yrs,,but I still dont feel comfortable launching the bike off the line like Id like to,,thats where I lose my time,,guess im getting old and scaredLOl or cautous,,,what mods did you do to it last yr other than the sprocket swap ?

You went the wrong way on the article. It says drop 1-tooth from the OEM front sprocket not 1-tooth from the OEM rear... ;)

No worries, try the 16/40 setup and you'll be happy if you can keep the front wheel down... :laugh:

congrats on the 9sec,,,,Ive rode for better than 30p yrs,,but I still dont feel comfortable launching the bike off the line like Id like to,,thats where I lose my time,,guess im getting old and scaredLOl or cautous,,,what mods did you do to it last yr other than the sprocket swap ?

i added a quick shifter for this year and put a shinko 003 on the rear. already lowered 2 inches.

You went the wrong way on the article. It says drop 1-tooth from the OEM front sprocket not 1-tooth from the OEM rear... ;)

No worries, try the 16/40 setup and you'll be happy if you can keep the front wheel down... :laugh:

Well, there it is. If you noticed, we only had to break the factory seal of the engine to install the clutch conversion. I like the completely stock aspect of this package. Worry and hassle-free performance on pump gas. We have made numerous 9.3 passes at nearly 150 mph with this configuration. 9.20’s or even teens at over 150 are possible on a good track with great air and an exceptional rider (a 39 tooth rear usually comes in handy for these conditions). Some go-fasters would opt for a lengthened swingarm in addition to the noted mods. There is no doubt that a lengthened arm will help your quarter mile times, especially if you can’t ride. I like the stock arm because I can raise the bike in less than 10 minutes and I’m ready to ride anywhere, curves included. Of course, I know some guys just can’t live without a built engine…we will address this also.

this is the article i was refering to.

I live out in N.M..the roads are ok,,2 months ago I bought a [1 1/2-3 inch] lowering links for the rear and 1 inch lowering bushings from pingel,,The front lowering kit is still in the oringinal sealed cellophane and Only had the rear links on the back for 2 miles,,,,Too many cattle guards where I live,,Anyone interested,I have the oringinal receipt and box, $80.00 will buy both the front and rear lowering its[pingel] {look them up on line thier about 130.00 . I bought them hopeing to allow my wife to ride it,,she rides but shes 5ft....she also has a 01 vlx chromed honda 600 shadow looking to trade it on a sport bike,,anyone interested 575-494-7280

i have the 42 tooth sprocket i had on it last year. im going to put it back on and see how it works this year. is anyone running a rear tooth count like this or even more? im down one in the front.

in another part of brocks forum the discussion on sprockets was brought up and the theme was to go with what works for you since everyone is different. so its all in what you are comfy with...... i think that the 39 tooth is hurting me in the 60 foot time. plus im just not that good at it yet. ive only been to a total of maybe 5 times since last year. all of my passes the 2 times this year have been 1.7 to 1.9 or so. obviously not good.

Well, there it is. If you noticed, we only had to break the factory seal of the engine to install the clutch conversion. I like the completely stock aspect of this package. Worry and hassle-free performance on pump gas. We have made numerous 9.3 passes at nearly 150 mph with this configuration. 9.20’s or even teens at over 150 are possible on a good track with great air and an exceptional rider (a 39 tooth rear usually comes in handy for these conditions). Some go-fasters would opt for a lengthened swingarm in addition to the noted mods. There is no doubt that a lengthened arm will help your quarter mile times, especially if you can’t ride. I like the stock arm because I can raise the bike in less than 10 minutes and I’m ready to ride anywhere, curves included. Of course, I know some guys just can’t live without a built engine…we will address this also.

this is the article i was refering to.

You forgot the most important part in "How to Slam and Prep BUSA Part 1"

The final mod in this series is the addition of a 16-tooth front sprocket to replace the stock 17-tooth unit. This may sound a bit strange after all of the effort we have gone through to prevent wheelies, but there are several reasons for making this change. The first of which being the bike actually becomes EASIER to launch if the other mods are in place. With this sprocket installed, a rider can leave the line just above idle (around 2000 rpm) and gently release the clutch, while progressively screwing on the gas at the same time. This technique requires far less rider talent than a higher rpm launch and it helps prevent expensive burned up clutch plates as a result. The bike will accelerate harder down the track and cross the traps in fourth gear closer to red line. The only real disadvantage is that the speedometer will indicate about 10 mph faster than the bike is actually traveling. This additional “cushionâ€￾ is not necessarily a bad thing on the street!

I see where you got that but I never liked the 39 rear. The smaller front combined with the 39 gives you a longer wheelbase with the stock arm. Only doing the rear makes the bike HARDER to launch and makes you work the clutch even more. Figure 1 front = 2 teeth on the rear... ;)

i did drop the tooth in the front. going back to the 42 tooth. i think it will be better but ill have to see. its just a learning process thats all.....

Back