'09 Busa-How much Horsepower should it have ?

Isnt it fun to spend all that time and money (I did it too) and then get back out on the road and not really notice that 6% HP gain (that you spent 2 grand for) because you cant go 180MPH anywhere.
Shoot, I scarcely noticed it at the track since none of the straights were all that long.

Changing the gearing (for 50 bux) made a bigger diff than anything else I ever did....

I'd do it again tho, guess thats part of the fever:beerchug:

hehe, not entirely accurate...

Many of you are posting that the GEN II can't make 200 HP. I was doubfull before I started tuning one. But I think that LSR results can prove this wrong. Bullet Bob (Sellers), Bill Hosler, Got Busa, Brock, and many others have gone over 200 mph on a stock 1340 block with a good tune. Sellers went 214!! at loring on motor and a Johnny Cheese tune. Great conditions, but still amazing number. What I am getting at is that the power required to push a hole in the air is well known.

'Drag Force is calculated as : Fd = .5 Cd*A*p*V^2, and the Gen II Busa has a measured Cd of about 3.48 slightly dependent on rider size and technique.. If you back calculate drag force into driven wheel torque, figure in the total corrected gear ratio of primary, secondary and final drive, and then calculate back into engine power (BHP = T*RPM/5252), you will find that to break 200 mph (293 ft/sec), you need about 190 HP to break the wind, and another 10 to 15 hp for rolling resistance. This is physics, and not subjective dyno numbers

Don't keep telling those of us doing it, why it can't be done. Better yet, figure out why yours doesn't make the power or speed.:poke: Hey Got Busa, you didn't really run 204.5. Thats not possible.:laugh:

Calculate horsepower from your trap speed in the quarter mile. Trap speed doesn't lie.

Horsepower = total weight (bike plus rider) x (speed/234)^3

This is a very dirty equation, but its remarkably accurate.

On motor with pump gas and a good tune I ran 155.3 mph in quarter and weighed in at 698 lbs. Thats 204 HP with ram air at full boogie and -50 ft DA. This number comes out almost exactly to what was measured on dyno and what was calculated from terminal velocity calculation.

Tuning for the dyno, and the numbers that they give you are misleading. And yes, a well tuned GenII with good fuel can make 200 hp with all the right tricks.

+1

Figure out what it's doing at the track and that will give you the truth.

If you aren't racing it or competing then why do you even care what the dyno or sheet of paper says...?

That's why I always ask other questions when people start debating numbers. There is a lot more to it than just the dyno graph... :thumbsup:

Go study which bikes/riders are laying down the times/speeds.... :beerchug:

Many of you are posting that the GEN II can't make 200 HP. I was doubfull before I started tuning one. But I think that LSR results can prove this wrong. Bullet Bob (Sellers), Bill Hosler, Got Busa, Brock, and many others have gone over 200 mph on a stock 1340 block with a good tune. Sellers went 214!! at loring on motor and a Johnny Cheese tune. Great conditions, but still amazing number. What I am getting at is that the power required to push a hole in the air is well known.

'Drag Force is calculated as : Fd = .5 Cd*A*p*V^2, and the Gen II Busa has a measured Cd of about 3.48 slightly dependent on rider size and technique.. If you back calculate drag force into driven wheel torque, figure in the total corrected gear ratio of primary, secondary and final drive, and then calculate back into engine power (BHP = T*RPM/5252), you will find that to break 200 mph (293 ft/sec), you need about 190 HP to break the wind, and another 10 to 15 hp for rolling resistance. This is physics, and not subjective dyno numbers

Don't keep telling those of us doing it, why it can't be done. Better yet, figure out why yours doesn't make the power or speed.:poke: Hey Got Busa, you didn't really run 204.5. Thats not possible. :laugh:

(I just missed your second post)

+1

This is great info.... :thumbsup:

It's great when people track side running nitrous and 10X the money in there machine (or a customers) tell you that you are doing it ALL wrong. Then you go run the number and they say what you've done is impossible. I'm sure Bob told you the stories... :rofl:

I don't BS and I'm not here to make money. This is a fun sport/hobby for me and I'm about helping others learn and GO FASTER.....PERIOD! I'm not going to make you waste a bunch of money on parts/stuff that doesn't work. If it works I'll be sure to pass it on... :beerchug:

Last edited:
Ok so I took today off to do some seat-o-the-pants judgin'.
Rode out to Lake Okeechobee on SR80. The bike like I said no matter what the dyno said HP wise is now like a diff animal. It revs and runs so much quicker it feels like a 600. You can notice the weight savings a bit but the power and the way it acts thru the first 3 are very different. It screams
from get go ! As far as not being able to feel the difference after spending the money, it was worth every penny. I am fine and like crack......addicted !
Before where she was simply if allowed skimming the tire thru second now same position from same light she will stand up. Of course if you tuck in and sit the way your supposed to it doesnt rise much at all, it just goes. The full throttle difference is VERY noticeable. I can't complain and am not in any way just pickin' brains is all .

As far as the XTRE hurting you ,Got-Busa, just about everything I have seen
,read and felt goes to the contrary so please explain your opinion ?:bowdown:
And by the way I'm jealous of your LSR exp. only on late night highways in TN did me and my 97 zx11 get anywhere near full throttle in top gear for a while. Now on the new bike if I pin it thru third I am already in the next county and shot by thirty mounties ! :laugh:

The reason I care about the dyno is like I said just to get a good tune on it and make sure after putting the pipe and other parts on it was running right.
I cared more about just hearing it scream to redline safely and knowing that if and when I do she will be good to go !

Last edited:
SHE'S AN ANIMAL ! AIN'T NEW LOVE SWEET ?!::lol:

ASS END.JPG

Last edited:
I don't believe anyone gets an earnest 200 rwhp without boost. The only way they do is on an optimistic dyno. Look at the spread between stock and mods and how the bike feels/performs. That's all that matters.

Big Bore, or NOS, or cams and pistons :whistle:

But no, I agree no one is just putting a pipe on a current Busa and getting 200 ..........

Last edited:
Many of you are posting that the GEN II can't make 200 HP. I was doubfull before I started tuning one. But I think that LSR results can prove this wrong. Bullet Bob (Sellers), Bill Hosler, Got Busa, Brock, and many others have gone over 200 mph on a stock 1340 block with a good tune.

I'm not doubting 200 MPH with a TRE and a light weight rider. Especially if you're talking the stock class where you can change all those internals.

200 RWHP with nothing but a tune is beyond my comprehension, but then again I'm a dummy :laugh:

try to take the tre off and see if the #s change any , the tre will though off the air fuel mix , so see if that will make a diff , other wise i see the #s you have as good gains, and you wanted to fix the surgeing you felt after the slip on and filter swap yes?

well if it fixed the surgeing - then you have met your gole, and the +hp is a bones ! :whistle:

looks good

ride safe

Big Bore, or NOS, or cams and pistons :whistle:

But no, I agree no one is just putting a pipe on a current Busa and getting 200 ..........

I got 199rwhp STD (with supporting bolt-on mods), is that close enough for you... :laugh:

I'm not doubting 200 MPH with a TRE and a light weight rider. Especially if you're talking the stock class where you can change all those internals.

200 RWHP with nothing but a tune is beyond my comprehension, but then again I'm a dummy :laugh:

Have you clicked/read my build thread....?

I'm 220lbs. (far from a jockey rider) and did it as well as several others.

We aren't talking about running 5-miles+ with the bike wide open using a crap TRE. We are talking about accelerating from a stop -1mile and reaching 200mph. Even if you don't believe the dyno, surely the math and physics of what it takes will click.

These bikes are 100% STOCK UNOPENED MOTORS!

As far as the XTRE hurting you ,Got-Busa, just about everything I have seen
,read and felt goes to the contrary so please explain your opinion ?:bowdown:
And by the way I'm jealous of your LSR exp. only on late night highways in TN did me and my 97 zx11 get anywhere near full throttle in top gear for a while. Now on the new bike if I pin it thru third I am already in the next county and shot by thirty mounties ! :laugh:

The reason I care about the dyno is like I said just to get a good tune on it and make sure after putting the pipe and other parts on it was running right.
I cared more about just hearing it scream to redline safely and knowing that if and when I do she will be good to go !

Look in a few of the LSR threads or discussion threads that people got upset about. The TRE has been proven JUNK on a Gen-II bike.

Whenever you are ready, come on down to TEXAS! I'd be happy to help you get setup to make a few runs at a 1-mile event... :thumbsup:

If the bike runs great and the A/F numbers are inline, don't worry about the peak numbers. Just because a bike makes more PEAK power on a dyno doesn't mean it's going to be faster on the track. :beerchug:

Are we talk power to ground or what.

Hard to believe your gaining 20hp with exhaust and tune.

Dyno uses physics and you discredit it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Are we talk power to ground or what.

Hard to believe your gaining 20hp with exhaust and tune.

Dyno uses physics and you discredit it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Did you read my build thread....?

14rwhp gain with the mods listed. Another 6rwhp was gained using MR9 race gas...

If you understand the variables then you will understand why ALL dynos do NOT read the same. I don't discredit a dyno but it's only a tool. I guess since some tuners can't make 200rwhp on a stock motor Gen-II then it's impossible.

The point and FACT is that it takes right at 200rwhp to run 200mph in 1-mile! That's what Draco was getting at. So even though you don't want to believe the dyno numbers, the physics and FACTS for what it takes to run that speed in 1-mile agrees that the bike makes 200rhwp...

I won't BS you and I won't tell you crap to sell a product. These are tried and true mods that have been proven over and over again. Believe what you want but I've done it and speak from experience....

How many bikes have you built? How many physics classes have you taken? How fast was the tail wind when you went 204? No I haven't read or seen your build. And your math problem doesn't account for gearing, enviro factors, or a lot of numerous other things. So your bike only has a 5-6 percent loss through drivetrain?

which puts you at 180. Then your saying you gained another 20 with the same loss that would really mean you gained more than 20hp.
Posted via Mobile Device

Btw I can make a dyno show 2000rwhp I know the devils in the details and every one esp diff brands read very differently.

No need to reply to my previous post. I quit you. You'll just bable on and on. Have a nice existence.
Posted via Mobile Device

MATTSTANG I did a baseline run with the slip ons and filter > Then 2.5hrs later we did dyno runs with SS header,pwr cmdr and xtre. Same dyno ,same day I gained almost 18hp.
Which doesn't really matter because the seat of the pants feel tells me I got my monies worth.

The shop that did the work had numerous trophies on the walls for roadracing that the owner and the guy who worked on my bike won. Along with 20 yrs worth of pics with them racing things way back when we used to wear full face bell helmets with snap on faceshields to modern bikes.

It's a strange world we live in.
Got-Busa stock numbers are higher, final numbers higher but power gained after mods is less than mine. Go figure. From above you say 14hp gained, then more with race gas whereas I gained almost 18hp ?

Anyway..........watchout...........:rofl:

That's awesome glad your happy with it. Good way to do a comparo is same dyno same day.

Did you just get one base pull. Its usually best to get more than a few and avg out your numbers. Most people don't for time and money reasons.

At the end of the day as long as your happy doesn't matter what anyone else has to say right?
Posted via Mobile Device

How many bikes have you built? How many physics classes have you taken? How fast was the tail wind when you went 204? No I haven't read or seen your build. And your math problem doesn't account for gearing, enviro factors, or a lot of numerous other things. So your bike only has a 5-6 percent loss through drivetrain?

which puts you at 180. Then your saying you gained another 20 with the same loss that would really mean you gained more than 20hp.
Posted via Mobile Device

Clearly you don't understand....

Btw I can make a dyno show 2000rwhp I know the devils in the details and every one esp diff brands read very differently.

No need to reply to my previous post. I quit you. You'll just bable on and on. Have a nice existence.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm not going to waste time explaining it to you since you didn't even take the time read the build and possibly learn something......GOOD DAY! :beerchug:

MATTSTANG I did a baseline run with the slip ons and filter > Then 2.5hrs later we did dyno runs with SS header,pwr cmdr and xtre. Same dyno ,same day I gained almost 18hp.
Which doesn't really matter because the seat of the pants feel tells me I got my monies worth.

The shop that did the work had numerous trophies on the walls for roadracing that the owner and the guy who worked on my bike won. Along with 20 yrs worth of pics with them racing things way back when we used to wear full face bell helmets with snap on faceshields to modern bikes.

It's a strange world we live in.
Got-Busa stock numbers are higher, final numbers higher but power gained after mods is less than mine. Go figure. From above you say 14hp gained, then more with race gas whereas I gained almost 18hp ?

Anyway..........watchout...........:rofl:

Congrats! You had good gains and you are happy, that's all that matters... :thumbsup:

Back