Brightest busa brake light

InfiniteReality

Registered
As soon as I came across the UFO tail light for my bike I knew that's the one I wanted just because I could modify it.  As soon as it came in I promptly took a Dremel and removed the backside of it and cut out 2 circuit boards to fit over those areas.  Then I spray painted them chome so it'd look 100% clear inside when they were off.  I next wired up 122 red 20000mcd LEDs (61 per side) according to my schematics I CADed and glued the boards to the backside of the UFO undertail. I changed the tail light setup a bit when the trailer converter didn't work so it's wired up a bit different than the pic.  I also took an extra step and broke up each tail light LED cluster so I could have seperate signals wired up on each set.  I also installed a TrickFlasher.Com flasher so I have 5 different signal patterns I can choose from on the fly.  You'll see it in the video below.

I tried a trailer converter and as it worked on the stock bulbs it doesn't work on my setup.  So I had to figure out how to get my signals to integrate in my brake light.  I was going to buy a Badlands LED Integrator but they wont' be available until mid June and at a cost of $100, I cancelled the order.  After racking my brain for an hour I figured out how to do it all solid state with 4 SPDT relays.  Everything works exactly how it should now.  

Some may know the ClearAlternatives or Libertek LED tail light.  Mine is 5.54 times brighter than CA's and 14.52 times as bright as the Libertek.  It will leave spots in front of your eyes if you look directly into it.  My LEDs are 20000mcd versus their 8000mcd LEDs.

The pics and video don't do the LEDs justice at all, digital stuff just sucks bad when it cames to darkness and bright light.

Total cost for everything needed to convert my UFO undertail to be the brightest was only $61 and a few hours of my time.  
biggrin.gif
 What do you think???

VIDEO
http://img.photobucket.com/albums....mg][/url]

TAIL LIGHT SETUP
[ATTACH=full]823797[/ATTACH]

RELAY INTEGRATOR SETUP
[ATTACH=full]823798[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=full]823799[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]823800[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]823801[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]823802[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]823803[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]823804[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]823805[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=full]823806[/ATTACH]

<!--EDIT|InfiniteReality
Reason for Edit: None given...|1148932433 -->

Attachments

• HayabusaIntegrator.jpg
    HayabusaIntegrator.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 119
  • HayabusaLEDRelayIntegrator.jpg
    HayabusaLEDRelayIntegrator.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 102
  • IMGP2078.jpg
    IMGP2078.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 87
  • IMGP2081.jpg
    IMGP2081.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMGP2160.jpg
    IMGP2160.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 102
  • IMGP2154.jpg
    IMGP2154.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMGP2150.jpg
    IMGP2150.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 101
  • IMGP2076.jpg
    IMGP2076.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMGP2082.jpg
    IMGP2082.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 92
  • IMGP2193.jpg
    IMGP2193.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 109
thats crazy! Looks good and very bright! Do your lights do the same thing as the video?

didn't mean anything against your set up Infinite, just suggesting might be easier for some people to do this.

Oh Man - I love the MOD!

Very sweet....OK, I want / Need this set-up for my UFO....so, how do I talk you into making me a set for mine
rock.gif
cool.gif

What would you charge, that is if you have the time to make a few more?

Thanks for the props!!!

I'm sorry, but I'm not going make any more of them. I just love the UFO undertail and like LEDs so I just combined the 2 together.
biggrin.gif
The hardest part how to figure out how to integrate the signals into the brake light with relays. I do know if I could get a circuit board etched, I could fit over 100 LEDs per side. might be something to think about, maybe if I got the pattern and etched my own I could just sell blank circuit boards and someone could just solder the LEDs, resistors and diodes to it and they'd have their own? Plus it'd be even brighter than my current setup. Ummm, something to think about...

In the video that is my bike and how my signals operate/look.
biggrin.gif

redkat05: No offense taken. I actually used that same LED setup to compare how bright mine was to it. 5.54x as bright is what I came up with.
biggrin.gif
I don't think someone could use one of those for the UFO undertail though since it's not the right shape. I think it'd be better for CA to use all red ones and integrate them to work with the signals. That would double the brightness of the brake light.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

actually it is, the same LED board and tail light housing is used for the busa as well as the 02+ katana

why wouldn't it work with the ufo undertail, if you cut out the back to make your LED boards and the undertail is made to conform to the space formerly taken up by the stock tail light then it could be done :-). Once i have my busa long enough to get brave(next year most likely) I'll try n prove it :p

Thanks for the props!!!

I'm sorry, but I'm not going make any more of them.  I just love the UFO undertail and like LEDs so I just combined the 2 together.
biggrin.gif
 The hardest part how to figure out how to integrate the signals into the brake light with relays.  I do know if I could get a circuit board etched, I could fit over 100 LEDs per side.  might be something to think about, maybe if I got the pattern and etched my own I could just sell blank circuit boards and someone could just solder the LEDs, resistors and diodes to it and they'd have their own? Plus it'd be even brighter than my current setup.  Ummm, something to think about...

In the video that is my bike and how my signals operate/look.
biggrin.gif

redkat05:  No offense taken.  I actually used that same LED setup to compare how bright mine was to it.  5.54x as bright is what I came up with.
biggrin.gif
 I don't think someone could use one of those for the UFO undertail though since it's not the right shape.  I think it'd be better for CA to use all red ones and integrate them to work with the signals.  That would double the brightness of the brake light.
biggrin.gif
Wish you could throw out this mod with the Mototeck undertail. I would love to do something like that on mine. Great job!!

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

Can you write up a more detailed explanation of how you did the tail? I have a UFO now as well, have had it awhile actually. But I just can't grasp the resistor concept in order to integrate it. And what size LED did you use for the tail 3,5, or 10 mm

nice bike and plate number, beer 30 and 420
I have a tee shirt it reads D.E.A.

DRINK EVERY AFTERNOON

This mod is sick
thumb_up.gif
we need to figure out a way to make an item like this accessible to all of us....I know it's above my pay grade
bowdown.gif

Dayum, infinite!!! either you r partially blind or have a high tolerance for Bright-A$$ lighting!! rofl-jes messin witcha, I love seein your posts with all the cool ideas for LED lighting u come up with-this one actually made me go out n check my bike tho-
I ordered the Rumble Concepts cyclops unertail because I saw they had the BIGGEST brake light with LEDs avail. at the time, so I figured that had ta be the brightest thing out there....until NOW, that it, lol
cool.gif

great job man, keep the imaginative ideas coming...if you ever have spare time, I see ALOT of money to be made here be YOU, homes
bowdown.gif
might pay for a few phat Busa mods...
beerchug.gif

Back