Thoughts on a Glock 26/27

You're correct about this. My last duty pistol was a Sig P226. We trained so much with them, that I had to really keep up with training on my personal carry Glocks as well to remain accurate. The difference is significant.

Going back and forth is what really got to me. That was the main reason I consolidated in about 1994. It has also made me hesitant about moving from an 870 to a Benelli or trying FN SCAR. I’m supposed to go pick up a SCAR 16s in a few weeks to try out for a month of so. I’ve had my eyes on a 17S for some time.

Here is another thing to consider when looking at a glock in either 9mm or .40. Cost of rounds and availibity of either round. 9mm is cheaper and easier to get, at least in my area. You want to stay in practice with your ccw weapon too, again cost of the round adds up. I sold my M&P SW do to one of these reasons. 9mm is a Nato round so if by chance this place goes to crap, you know your gun will work easily if you are around any military personal. Also most local police departments use glocks in 9mm either the 17 as a duty weapon and 19 as backup. What that means if the world went to crap, your glock 26 can use there mags and still be useful. Just some little thoughts to think about!

Also a 9mm is easier to master than a .40. It is not near the issue with full-size but most casual shooters will have much more difficulty with compact and sub-compacts in .357 and .40 calibers.

On edit: More so with full tilt +P duty and personal protection ammo than with bargain Walmart whitebox ammo.

Last edited:
I understand very well. I’ve owned a few glocks and shot many more and the natural point just does not work from me. In the early years I owned Colt commanders and officers models, Hi Power, S&W 39 and 59, S&W 469, and a couple of Glocks when they came out. I moved to a Berretta 92 and 96 since the department I was commissioned with temporarily banned glocks right before I hired on. Then I pretty much consolidated to Sig Sauer P series with a 228, a 226-9, and a 226-40. As much as I tried, I could never develop a natural point with the Glocks as I could the Sigs and Berretta as I trained more extensively. Many other have their favorites for the same reasons so I don’t try to lead them away from the Glocks at all. I’m a big fan of the striker fired guns and that is what I always recommend. I have seriously thought about replacing all of my Sigs with M&Ps because I don’t train enough to keep my proficiency transfering from the DA first shot to the SA 2nd round. I can usually pick up the wife’s full size M&P and fire a better 3 round 1st string cold upon arriving at the range than I can my Sigs I have owned for almost 20 years. Over the years I’ve owned 2 digit and 3 digit S&W autos, and fired many 4 digit models. I was never really happy with them. I was reserved at first when some people I respected very well talked me into spending some time with a M&P. It was a welcome surprise. I was very impressed. However I just have too many magazines, leather, 22 conversion upper (that was custom threaded) etc to make a quick and easy change.

I wish the safety was an option on the Shield. I’ve been trying to find one regardless but supply has not met demand.

I agree on practice, practice, and more practice. After firing 200-300 rounds through a gun I should be able to close my eyes turn 90 degrees and point toward an object 25’ away. When I open my eyes the object should be in the sights without moving up or down. I can’t do that with a Glock. It may be all mental.

You might try a Karh PM/CM instead of the Shield for a single stack. I have no idea how they point compared to the Glock or Smith

I will defer to your vastly greater experience :)

The only thing I DO like about DA first round pistol is you are less likely to have an accidental discharge uncovering/unholstering, and I think that's the one and only downside to a Glock (not that I would change it, but it is something you hve to be cognizant of). One of the reasons I think the Army picked up the Baretta. I normally carry the S&W Bodyguard. Easy to throw in a pocket, and DA EVERY shot (which takes a little getting used to).

The Glock grip angle doesn't work for me either. I'm in love with the M&P compact for that size pistol.

My EDC is a Ruger LC9 soon to be replaced with either an M&P shield or a Springfield XDs.. Leaning toward the XDs :beerchug:

All good advice so far. I regularly carry a full size glock and can conceal it easily, but sometimes it can be uncomfortable. I missed a deal on a M&P9c the other day, great little pistol and felt good in my hand. My next one will be compact like the M&P or a Glock 19.

I really enjoyed my M&P 9mm. I just traded it for the built glock I have now. M&P was alittle heavier but a damn good gun!!

I will defer to your vastly greater experience :)

The only thing I DO like about DA first round pistol is you are less likely to have an accidental discharge uncovering/unholstering, and I think that's the one and only downside to a Glock (not that I would change it, but it is something you hve to be cognizant of). One of the reasons I think the Army picked up the Baretta. I normally carry the S&W Bodyguard. Easy to throw in a pocket, and DA EVERY shot (which takes a little getting used to).

My experience may not be the same as others. Everyone is different, that is just what works for me. Your mileage may vary. I’ve just spend a bunch of money over the years. If I was starting from scratch, I know what I would do differently.

What I have noticed with DA/SA when helping new shooters is that they tend to pull or push the first round and then are surprised when the second round goes off. Then they are timid on the third round. After a few magazines (loaded with 5 rounds each) they get better. The next time out. It is a repeat, but not as bad. I find myself doing the same thing on a much less degree. I don’t see it as much at 10-15 yards but you do at 25-50 yards. Even more so if I shoot weak-handed. The striker fire seems to eliminate that since the shot is the same from start to finish.

I owned a P226 DAO for a short time that had a trigger job on it. Although very smooth, the trigger pull was just too long for me.
I never felt uncomfortable holstering or presenting any of them but I understand your concerns. That was the reason the department banned the Glocks, an officer had an AD holstering his getting ready to report for duty. (I still feel his finger was a factor) Some of the pocket holsters add some protection over carrying one loose in a pocket. (although I’ve done both myself)

It concerns me that some of the people are using competition triggers on carry/duty guns. Scary stuff right there!

I've had mine for a couple of years and love it. I bought the 26 because the ammo was so much cheaper than the 27.

I have a gen4 glock 26 and really like it. After I broke my hand this spring I bought a glock 36. My hand grips it better than the 26. Both are great guns.

Well I sure do appreciate all the input so far!!! :thumbsup:
From my research done yesterday, my list is the Glock26/27 followed by the Kahr PM9 and the Smith MP 40C.
However actual range time test firing each one will tell the truth this weekend.

And the range I am going to also has a used Sig 228, which if the price is right I would buy that above the others. Simply because, behind the Beretta 92's, it is one of the most comfortable guns I have shot. To bad the ex-wife would not let me take hers in the divorce!!!! :laugh:

Well I sure do appreciate all the input so far!!! :thumbsup:
From my research done yesterday, my list is the Glock26/27 followed by the Kahr PM9 and the Smith MP 40C.
However actual range time test firing each one will tell the truth this weekend.

And the range I am going to also has a used Sig 228, which if the price is right I would buy that above the others. Simply because, behind the Beretta 92's, it is one of the most comfortable guns I have shot. To bad the ex-wife would not let me take hers in the divorce!!!! :laugh:

P228s are hard to find and sought after. One of my favorites!

I am a big guy and carry a glock 27 with me everywhere i go...i carry a glock 22 on duty. I actually shoot the 27 better....

Unfortunatly I did not get to the range just yet, however I do have a friend who is letting me borrow her G19 to play with and carry at my own convinence.
It is a bit more comfy to carry around than my Ruger and I can only imagine that the 26 would be better. (and easier to conceal no doubt)

Carrying someone else's firearm is not necessarily a good idea....

I LOVE my Glock's and always recommend them. I like my Sig's better but for a budget weapon you can't go wrong carrying a Glock.

It all depends on your hand size/shape, etc. and what YOU like and feel comfortable with.

I'd also look at the new XD-S but you may not want a .45. Personally I wouldn't even consider a 9mm or less unless it's a backup gun. I'd carry a .40 or .45 as your primary before anything else... :beerchug:

Back