Thoughts on a Glock 26/27

Sum Beach

Registered
I am wanting to carry a bit more while on the job and just needed some outside opinions. However, company policy is very much against employee's carrying any kind of weapons.
I know this policy and the risk I take to break this rule. But due to recent threats and various "activities" taking place on company property, I would much rather be a bit more prepared even if the managment would rather us be targets for violence.

While at my work I carry a Ruger LCP. It is extremely easy to conceal and cover anyway I wear it. I am wanting to carry something other than an 'absolute last resort' gun. The next size up gun I have is a Ruger P95. It does ok as an outside work carry gun but just a bit too big otherwise. And I am not even going to try with the Beretta M-9's.

I was looking at the Glock 26/27 for a few reasons.
1: Smaller and lighter than the Ruger (P95) I have now, and therefore maybe easier to conceal
2: Same amount of ammo to carry but have the option for the .40 cal for better stopping power
3: Aftermarket accesories readily available for various carry holsters and gun upgrades
4: Glocks history of reliability as a combat weapon

This will be my first time of owning a Glock but just wanted outside opinions about other pros and cons of carrying this particular pistol
Also if there may be some other guns on the market I might consider besides the Glock. Keep in mind, concealment is my first priority!!
Thanks!!!!

Can't go wrong with a glock as they RARELY don't go pop when you squeeze the trigger.
I carried a G27 for many yrs. kinda chunky though, not too thin. If the mags don't have them already on them get some of the lipped floor plates. This allowed me to get my pinky on grip as well which really made a diff in accuracy. With only two fingers on grip I would always draw and be pointing at the ground.

I have a large hand so I didnt care for the compact glock. Even with the +1. Mid frame is best for me. Its only maybe half inch difference in the barrel length. Its just the handle size I cant get past. Good luck with buy. A good suggestion would be to go to a indoor range where they rent different guns. "they may even sell there" and let you shoot a few clips thru and see which you like the best.

All good advice so far. I regularly carry a full size glock and can conceal it easily, but sometimes it can be uncomfortable. I missed a deal on a M&P9c the other day, great little pistol and felt good in my hand. My next one will be compact like the M&P or a Glock 19.

I have big hands and carry the model 27. Never failed to go pop, well except when the instructor loaded an orange round or two :laugh: Very light, not that that will matter, but great for clearing a large property. I've been in the mud, sand, water, and swamp. It's like this when you squeeze that trigger this gun will fire.

The only con, and I don't see it that way. No safety. It is designed to do business.

Magazines from big Glocks slide right in and chamber rounds.

A good suggestion would be to go to a indoor range where they rent different guns. "they may even sell there" and let you shoot a few clips thru and see which you like the best.

I am reserching this right now and finding ranges in my area!!

i carry the G27 and love it...not the thinnest CC gun in the bunch but neither am i so it works great for me :beerchug:

I am reserching this right now and finding ranges in my area!!
Comfort is cool, but you will never beat the Glock for reliability and they're the easiest weapons in the world to use. What ever you go with, practice , practice, and train. You need to be very proficient with it. In an event your body will do the strangest things to you and your ability to function. If you don't have prior training make sure you take a good course.

I've carried my 27 off duty now for the last 15 years. At times you may feel its a little chunky but if you're going to bother to carry, the chunkiness reminder your get every now and then is also a reminder that what you're carrying is capable. I've owned every major manufacture and my Glocks I'm always most comfortable with, my personal preference.

I am wanting to carry a bit more while on the job and just needed some outside opinions. However, company policy is very much against employee's carrying any kind of weapons.
I know this policy and the risk I take to break this rule. But due to recent threats and various "activities" taking place on company property, I would much rather be a bit more prepared even if the managment would rather us be targets for violence.

While at my work I carry a Ruger LCP. It is extremely easy to conceal and cover anyway I wear it. I am wanting to carry something other than an 'absolute last resort' gun. The next size up gun I have is a Ruger P95. It does ok as an outside work carry gun but just a bit too big otherwise. And I am not even going to try with the Beretta M-9's.

I was looking at the Glock 26/27 for a few reasons.
1: Smaller and lighter than the Ruger (P95) I have now, and therefore maybe easier to conceal
2: Same amount of ammo to carry but have the option for the .40 cal for better stopping power
3: Aftermarket accesories readily available for various carry holsters and gun upgrades
4: Glocks history of reliability as a combat weapon

This will be my first time of owning a Glock but just wanted outside opinions about other pros and cons of carrying this particular pistol
Also if there may be some other guns on the market I might consider besides the Glock. Keep in mind, concealment is my first priority!!
Thanks!!!!

Glock 30SF for me. Great gun for conceal-carry. 45 cal too.

I have the 26, a friend has the 27.
The .40 is not much heavier than the 9mm(ammo weight), I hadn't noticed til recently.
They are a little bulky and heavy to carry, but only in comparison as to having a gun you wanted to "hide" on yourself, not just conceal, or keep out of sight.
We've fired countless rounds through the 26 and 27 without any issues at all.
Great guns.

+1 on getting the extra finger grip on the bottom of the magazine too.

I carry a G 30 most of the time. The wife just bought herself a gen 4 G26. Plastic fantastic reliable pistols... Either one is a good buy for protection and CCW!

The 26 and 27 are nice, but I prefer the S&W M&P Compact models. That is just a personal preference on mine. The Glocks just seem to have a natural “point” that is a bit off for me compared to some of the others. It is hard to go wrong with the Glocks, M&P Series (although I’m not a fan of the safety on some models), or the Springfield XD series either in full-size or the compacts. The M&P Shield is a single stack magazin version and is thinner in the handle than the others.

Another one I would really like to get some time with is a Kahr PM9/40 or the more economical CM9/40. I’ve heard very good things about the PM but have had one in my hands for a few minutes without the opportunity to fire it.

I'm kind of looking for something between my full-size carry guns and my 642 Snubbie.

Glock 33 for me, 26 for the wife. The 26, 27, and 33 have the same exterior dimensions, just different calibers. They are a little more chunky than some other options, but are all excellent shooters and absolutely reliable. Same as Blanca, I do recommend a magazine extension to let you get one more finger on the gun. Other than that, they are good to go.

The 26 and 27 are nice, but I prefer the S&W M&P Compact models. That is just a personal preference on mine. The Glocks just seem to have a natural “point” that is a bit off for me compared to some of the others. It is hard to go wrong with the Glocks, M&P Series (although I’m not a fan of the safety on some models), or the Springfield XD series either in full-size or the compacts. The M&P Shield is a single stack magazin version and is thinner in the handle than the others.

Another one I would really like to get some time with is a Kahr PM9/40 or the more economical CM9/40. I’ve heard very good things about the PM but have had one in my hands for a few minutes without the opportunity to fire it.

I'm kind of looking for something between my full-size carry guns and my 642 Snubbie.

It's backwards for me Professor - I have a Shield and Glock(s); I guess it's because I had the Glock first, it seems to 'point' more naturally than the Shield. Both are striker fired; the Shield has a manual safety and single-stack makes it thinner than Glock. But If I had to trust one over the other, it would be the Glock. More important than anything is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE...

The Glocks just seem to have a natural “point” that is a bit off for me compared to some of the others.

You're correct about this. My last duty pistol was a Sig P226. We trained so much with them, that I had to really keep up with training on my personal carry Glocks as well to remain accurate. The difference is significant.

It's backwards for me Professor - I have a Shield and Glock(s); I guess it's because I had the Glock first, it seems to 'point' more naturally than the Shield. Both are striker fired; the Shield has a manual safety and single-stack makes it thinner than Glock. But If I had to trust one over the other, it would be the Glock. More important than anything is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE...

I understand very well. I’ve owned a few glocks and shot many more and the natural point just does not work from me. In the early years I owned Colt commanders and officers models, Hi Power, S&W 39 and 59, S&W 469, and a couple of Glocks when they came out. I moved to a Berretta 92 and 96 since the department I was commissioned with temporarily banned glocks right before I hired on. Then I pretty much consolidated to Sig Sauer P series with a 228, a 226-9, and a 226-40. As much as I tried, I could never develop a natural point with the Glocks as I could the Sigs and Berretta as I trained more extensively. Many other have their favorites for the same reasons so I don’t try to lead them away from the Glocks at all. I’m a big fan of the striker fired guns and that is what I always recommend. I have seriously thought about replacing all of my Sigs with M&Ps because I don’t train enough to keep my proficiency transfering from the DA first shot to the SA 2nd round. I can usually pick up the wife’s full size M&P and fire a better 3 round 1st string cold upon arriving at the range than I can my Sigs I have owned for almost 20 years. Over the years I’ve owned 2 digit and 3 digit S&W autos, and fired many 4 digit models. I was never really happy with them. I was reserved at first when some people I respected very well talked me into spending some time with a M&P. It was a welcome surprise. I was very impressed. However I just have too many magazines, leather, 22 conversion upper (that was custom threaded) etc to make a quick and easy change.

I wish the safety was an option on the Shield. I’ve been trying to find one regardless but supply has not met demand.

I agree on practice, practice, and more practice. After firing 200-300 rounds through a gun I should be able to close my eyes turn 90 degrees and point toward an object 25’ away. When I open my eyes the object should be in the sights without moving up or down. I can’t do that with a Glock. It may be all mental.

You might try a Karh PM/CM instead of the Shield for a single stack. I have no idea how they point compared to the Glock or Smith

Here is another thing to consider when looking at a glock in either 9mm or .40. Cost of rounds and availibity of either round. 9mm is cheaper and easier to get, at least in my area. You want to stay in practice with your ccw weapon too, again cost of the round adds up. I sold my M&P SW do to one of these reasons. 9mm is a Nato round so if by chance this place goes to crap, you know your gun will work easily if you are around any military personal. Also most local police departments use glocks in 9mm either the 17 as a duty weapon and 19 as backup. What that means if the world went to crap, your glock 26 can use there mags and still be useful. Just some little thoughts to think about!

Back