Report your GEN II Busa Issues here.

Dear NeoBusa

My advice to you is to ride your new 'Busa in Drive Mode C until you get used to it. I'm new to the 'Busa, too, and find the bike ridiculously powerful. In careless hands the 'Busa is a death machine.

My previous bikes include a bunch of motocrossers, an '88 Ninja 600, and a '93 Nighthawk 750.

Good luck and enjoy!

--Jaddie

Dear Friends

After putting about 620 miles on my new 'Busa, I've found few quibbles to share here.

There's a little bit of difficulty in shifting from first to second gear, and sometimes from fourth to fifth and fifth to sixth. Occasionally it's difficult to get the transmission into first gear when sitting at a stop. Rolling forward or backward seems to help.

Also, my 'Busa requires too much shifter travel to change gears. I believe shifting should be smoother and require much less travel of the shifter. This is really annoying and is my biggest quibble. When accelerating quickly from a stop, I find it necessary to preload the shifter prior to making the shift. I raced motocross bikes when I was a teen and learned to shift quickly. I guess I'll get used to the 'Busa's long shifter travel, but I shouldn't have to.

I've always considered clutchless shifting to be careless and detrimental to a bike's transmission, but after reading your suggestions elsewhere on this site, I tried it when upshifting from second and higher gears. Oddly to me, but just as some of you claimed, the bike actually shifted more smoothly without the clutch or with very little clutch.

I find the 'Busa's windscreen too low. When I get into a race tuck, my chin is nearly on the tank and my helmet is still getting pummeled by wind. Maybe an aftermarket windscreen would solve this problem.

I find my reach to the bars too long and my reach to the pegs too short, but maybe this is part of why the 'Busa handles so well in the twisties.

This bike is much more nimble than my '88 Ninja 600, and that's a huge surprise to me. I figured that a bike as big as the 'Busa wouldn't handle too well, especially when compared to a bike half its size, but the 'Busa handles so much better than my Ninja 600! The 'Busa's handling inspires me to have confidence in my riding abilities--perhaps more confidence than I should have or deserve.

I love the 'Busa's hardcore adrenalized acceleration and the snarl of her exhaust that begins around 3000 rpm and lasts until 4000. (That snarl may not be present with aftermarket exhausts.)

The 'Busa is definitely the best streetbike of the three I've owned. (The '88 Ninja 600 and '93 Nighthawk 750 are the other two.) Also, the '08 'Busa is the second-best-looking bike I've seen in person. The only bike I've seen in person that features superior aesthetics is the new Ducati 1098. Of course, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

So I'm thoroughly enjoying ownership of the world's fastest production motorcycle, and my enjoyment is heightened considerably by this forum. I'm really looking forward to sharing this experience and meeting many of you at the Bash next month.

--Jaddie

Just to share a little with the group. I have encountered the same problem shifting into first, but as someone suggested in this forum, simply letting out the clutch and quickly pulling it back in and shifting, seems to be a great and simple fix. No rolling the bike around or anything. But neutral to first, just let out the clutch, pull it back in and go. Easy as that.

The best part is the handling of my 08 Busa. I swear it handles better than the 07 Gixxer 1000 I traded in for it. I'm a big guy (6'2", 265) so the big bike works WELL for me. In fact, I rode with some road racers the other day, and in the line of 12 bikes, I was second. And the guy who races on tracks all the time on his R1, never got too far ahead of me that I wasn't able to brake when he braked. We left the pack behind, and when we stopped, all he could say was "DAMN! I NEVER expected a big ol' Busa to hang through those curves like that." In mind fellas.....ENOUGH SAID!!!

NeoBusa has to do at least 100mph just to keep up with the flow of traffic there,I was in Qatar in 2005, you have balls to ride a bike there lol,beautiful country,I was just not use to everyone driving so fast all the time..be careful....mike

Thanks Mike. yeah people do drive like nutts here. my first rule is NO DRIVING WITHOUT THE LEATHER. i'm hoping that would keep some skin on.

I should get my busa sometime next week. I'll keep you all posted.

if any recommendations please keep them comin'!

I have just over 100 miles on my new Busa and hava been babying it so far. Today I let the clutch out hard to get a little scratch and it makes a very pronounced engagement noise. With the stock pipes on yet keeping it pretty quiet this is very noticable.

Considering all the horsepower this has to hook up it may be normal but I have never heard such a harch engagement.

Is this normal?

A snipit from this artical on the new 08 Busa

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufac....54.html

" The clutch also has the Suzuki Clutch Assist System that increases the amount of force on the clutch plates without using stiffer clutch springs. The clutch also features a new friction material for better feedback at the engagement point.

Better feedback my ass.... It sounds like your smacking the engine case with a 32oz. ball peen hammer when it engages.

Just to share a little with the group.  I have encountered the same problem shifting into first, but as someone suggested in this forum, simply letting out the clutch and quickly pulling it back in and shifting, seems to be a great and simple fix.  No rolling the bike around or anything.  But neutral to first, just let out the clutch, pull it back in and go.  Easy as that.  
Almost all the Gen 1 busas do that. Its normal.

The only other issue I've had is a slow weave on a right hand corner at about 120mph.  Like a very slow tankslapper.  It has only happened once so far.  Managed to keep it shiny side up but it was a scary moment.  No idea what caused it.  I am running standard suspension settings and I don't weigh that much - about 160 pounds I think (11 stone 4 lbs in UK measurements)...  I found hanging on like grim death seemed to do the trick - though I do know holding the bars too tight can induce speed wobbles and tankslappers.  Hanging on tight was my reaction rather than the cause though.  Anyone had a similar experience?
There are many things that can cause what you are describing that have nothing to do with the design of the bike.
Death grip, never good. Light hands, light hands
Tires. Worn, low psi, abnormal wear.
Road surface.
Not enough weight on the front, ie light front(not quite a wheelie).
Suspension adjustment. Use the adjusters to find what is best for you.

super.gif
PM -->
Charlesbusa @ Mar. 24 2008 said:
1347574[/ATTACH] PM]
Almost all the Gen 1 busas do that.  Its normal.
Damn...

I have never had a bike engage that hard.. I hesitate even using the word engage as it's as loud as if you shifted without the clutch. This has to be hell on the drive train. There is no slippage what so ever, it is just a loud smack and the wheel is spinning.
That doesn't sound normal.

I was referring to minor difficulty on shifting the bike into 1st. Having to either rock the bike or let the clutch out and pull it back in to shift into 1st.  Thats normal.

Loud nosies are not.  The normal noise would just be a clunk that all Suzuki sportbikes make.

My 750 clunks as loud as my Busa.

super.gif

Could your clutch be dragging a bit? say the handle adjustment needs taken out some? (just not enough application of clutch occurring?)

Just wanted to say hello, been reading up on this Busa board and it has done a few things
1) Made me check out the size of the ZX14 vs. the Hayabusa
2) Let me know just how big a following this motorcycle has
3) At times actually has me crying from laughing so hard.

So I will pick up my new Busa this weekend I expect, blue '08 and I am glad to see the company will be funny if nothing else.
Of course any suggestions for the first out of box changes will be appreciated, coming from a HD RoadKing and on that I changed everything.

Regardless nice to meet you.

The only other issue I've had is a slow weave on a right hand corner at about 120mph.  Like a very slow tankslapper.  It has only happened once so far.  Managed to keep it shiny side up but it was a scary moment.  No idea what caused it.  I am running standard suspension settings and I don't weigh that much - about 160 pounds I think (11 stone 4 lbs in UK measurements)...  I found hanging on like grim death seemed to do the trick - though I do know holding the bars too tight can induce speed wobbles and tankslappers.  Hanging on tight was my reaction rather than the cause though.  Anyone had a similar experience?
Sounds like your fork preloads or compression settings are not matching on both sides. I've had one fork with a single turn more of preload do a similar dance.

Picked My Busa up three weeks ago and done 500 miles so far. The gear change is very slick (eve better than my '05 Busa). No faults at all. Performnce was a bit tight at first but after 200 miles the mid range wallop started to appear. Wonderful piece of kit this thing is. A pure pleasure to ride
thumb_up.gif

Love my '08. Don't have many miles on it yet (high today in the 50s with misting rain on and off). The torque is amazing compared to my liter bike. And the handling is much better than I expected. The only glitch is the above-mentioned first gear issue if you wait too long to put it in first gear after you pull the clutch lever in. If that happens, you just let the clutch lever out and pull it back in, then put it in gear.

016b.jpg

Back