Gen II Cam Chain Tensioner

Mythos

Registered
2000 miles. Just noticed a ticking noise coming from the bike at idle immediately after start up. I've read the threads on here and soundes like there is an issue with bolt tightness in the clutch on the gen II. I don't think that's it because I never noticed it until starting it in 40 degree F ambient temp. The bike is now in storage and I won't be starting it again for a few months.

Has the cam chain rattle that existed in the Gen I been fixed with the Gen II? I was thinking about ordering an APE manual CCT for my '08.

Last edited:
Yeah they all do it, its a cam chain tensioner issue, some guys head towards manual cam chain tensioners. I dont know much bout A.P.E sorry !

from what i have read the clicking is relatively normal until warm up.
Yeah but not something I want to listen too every Spring morn when the air temp is 35 F. These busas run pretty cool even with stock exhaust. It can take a long time to warm up. Noticed mine was not even running at the half way mark on the colder days. Perhaps it is something I will live with for another season. Didn't seem to be a problem when the weather was warm.

I have received several comments on the ZX-14 forum I participate on. One person who has owned a great number of bikes through the years suggests that the automatic CCTs are best. He likens the manual adjusters to ignition points---it's old technology and requires adjustment.

On the other hand, I have not come across a single post where an owner of a ZX-14 has not been happy with their A.P.E. CCT. I have not found anyone claiming that the A.P.E. requires adjustment very often. Must say they set it and it has not required adjustment in the year or two they had the A.P.E. on the bike.

As for CCts in general, manual and automatic-----I have never heard of failure of either kind. There are warnings about what would happen if---but I don't recall anyone in the 3 years I have been reading these forums post about valves jumping time and colliding with pistons. I recall Brock writing that he had concerns of his ZX-14 cam chain breaking if he chopped throttle at top speed--but it never happened.

Thanks, Schism. I have printed off a copy and I will keep for later in the winter when it warms up enough to work on the bikes. :-)

This engine is a solid lifter design. Its supposed to make a ticking noise on cold startup. If you want hydraulic lifters, drive your car. The noise you are hearing could be several things including the clutch, excessive valve clearance, a spit valve shim, or an exhaust leak, but its unlikely to be the cam chain tensioner on a gen II. The fact that the noise goes away on warmup means it is probably normal valve clearance noise. Manual tensioners are for drag racers only.

Yeah but not something I want to listen too every Spring morn when the air temp is 35 F. These busas run pretty cool even with stock exhaust. It can take a long time to warm up. Noticed mine was not even running at the half way mark on the colder days. Perhaps it is something I will live with for another season. Didn't seem to be a problem when the weather was warm.

I have received several comments on the ZX-14 forum I participate on. One person who has owned a great number of bikes through the years suggests that the automatic CCTs are best. He likens the manual adjusters to ignition points---it's old technology and requires adjustment.

On the other hand, I have not come across a single post where an owner of a ZX-14 has not been happy with their A.P.E. CCT. I have not found anyone claiming that the A.P.E. requires adjustment very often. Must say they set it and it has not required adjustment in the year or two they had the A.P.E. on the bike.

As for CCts in general, manual and automatic-----I have never heard of failure of either kind. There are warnings about what would happen if---but I don't recall anyone in the 3 years I have been reading these forums post about valves jumping time and colliding with pistons. I recall Brock writing that he had concerns of his ZX-14 cam chain breaking if he chopped throttle at top speed--but it never happened.

Thanks, Schism. I have printed off a copy and I will keep for later in the winter when it warms up enough to work on the bikes. :-)

no prob! stop letting those "14" guys poison your mind with nonsense,joking. :laugh::beerchug:

:laugh:Already been done. I have both a 08 14 and an 08 busa, b&o like yours. Can't pick between the two bikes. I think they're both awesome.

mine did.1999.weak cct spring.valves met pistons before recall came out. 1991?.new gpz1000rx. cam chain snapped.

Back