Questionable Shooting

I think he will have a hard time explaining the threat posed by the woman sitting in the car. He could have just as easily shot someone that wasn't even involved by mistake. He screwed up when he shot her. I'll be shocked if he doesn't get some time for her.

You don't have to prove up a threat to yourself in Texas. All you need to prove up is that you believed if you did not take deadly force you would not be able to recover your property.

I was a firearms instructor here in SoFla for approx 6yrs.
Current Fl state law does consider your vehicle or 'conveyance' your castle and the castle doctrine does apply.
You do not have to retreat and only need to be in fear of great bodily harm or death or be witness to that effect and have right to act in defense of others.
Taken to the exact letter and extreme 'conveyance' can even be a bicycle as many do carry on their bikes.

Next point is also if an assailant instigates a felony in which deadly force is justified and God forbid you miss the mark and kill an innocent bystander the perpetrator is the one who is charged with murder.
That is correct. You may have to live with the fact you killed an innocent person not involved but the perp will be charged because his/her actions instigated the action which resulted in the death.
There are a few case points here locally where that exact thing happened.
2 thugs go in to rob a store. Owner lets loose killing one injuring the other as well as killing an innocent woman directly in the line of fire getting gas in her car.
The surviving perp was charged with her death.

ps The woman was a direct threat to him because she was an accessory to the crime and the homeowner had no idea if she was sitting in the car with a gun or not. He believed his property was in jeopardy and that the folks stealing it may be dangerous.

I also just read the news story link for the first time and it seems his truck had been stolen two times already and we all know thieves like sharks circle the same waters so they got what they deserved and he got what he deserved........REVENGA !!!

Sorry bout the foot though. He needs more range time.
I bet it was his first round that went thru his foot.
He forgot the first rule of firearms.....

DO NOT PUT YOUR FINGER ON THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU ARE SURE OF YOUR TARGET ! :banghead:

LilTroy I lived in TN for many yrs. It's very east to get a CWP there and the laws are pretty liberal regarding the use of deadly force.

In fact over 30 states are reciprocative and recognize other states CWP permits. So one permit in one state is good in many others .

Last edited:
LilTroy I lived in TN for many yrs. It's very east to get a CWP there and the laws are pretty liberal regarding the use of deadly force.

In fact over 30 states are reciprocative and recognize other states CWP permits. So one permit in one state is good in many others .

Already known and taken care of bro, but thanks for the heads-up anyway.:thumbsup:
Just so happens my father was shot and killed by my uncle two years ago during a drunken stooper and case of mistaken identity so unfortunately I know about these situations all too well.:unhappy:

Love the Texas laws.......Here in Kalifornia, you must make the thief a Latte and discuss whether he really needs your property and then arbitrate on the spot. UGH, these bed wetting liberals.

Love the Texas laws.......Here in Kalifornia, you must make the thief a Latte and discuss whether he really needs your property and then arbitrate on the spot. UGH, these bed wetting liberals.

Ha, California, the land of fruits & nuts!!

Bottom line, Don't Mess With Texans ......................... or their stuff.

People are tired of being victims. I remember when I took my CHL class. I was amazed at the amount of women in the class. I think now there are more people here packing, than not.

While I realize this incident happened at a home, there are many more that happen when people are out & about. I think everyone (myself included) needs to get in some more range time in 2010.

:rulez:

I don't care how you phrase it, a vehicle is not worth somebody's life. Now I'm not saying that these people deserve sympathy, far from it. But as a person, we should value life above property, no matter what they choose to do with it. I will shoot you dead if you enter my home or my vehicle (while I'm in it.) But I will not kill someone for taking a material posession. However, I might brandish the weapon and provoke a confrontation, which may result in a shooting. There is a fine line, but the line exists.

How is somebody supposed to know - women or not - whether someone has a knife, gun, aids infected syringe etc. You can only err on the side of your own safety and you don't have to let anyone steal anything from you. A person who does not stand down and retreat - women or not -when confronted is definately to be considered a threat to life.

Police don't have to stand down when confronted with a non-compliant suspect when in the comission of a crime.

Criminal arrogance.

Somebody else may have acted differently but to make assumptions because the perp is a women is crazy!!!

You gotta love Reciprocity :)

As for valuing human life... meh... I value my life and the life of my family first...everyone else takes a number. You may have a high number, you may not. But if you come to me with the purpose of any harm...be prepared to meet resistance in a full spectrum.

And being a female I am FULLY aware of the treachery and dangerousness of my sex...we have no corner on the market but no one should ever be underestimated. Most cops know the importance of keeping an eye on the woman when they investigate a domestic dispute.

yep he is going to jail...last time i checked you cant shoot anybody for anything outside of your own residence unless your life is in jeopardy...

Some of those circumstances have changed in the last decade. I wouldn't personally shot at someone, much less kill them for stealing out of the yard.

You gotta love Reciprocity :)

As for valuing human life... meh... I value my life and the life of my family first...everyone else takes a number. You may have a high number, you may not. But if you come to me with the purpose of any harm...be prepared to meet resistance in a full spectrum.

And being a female I am FULLY aware of the treachery and dangerousness of my sex...we have no corner on the market but no one should ever be underestimated. Most cops know the importance of keeping an eye on the woman when they investigate a domestic dispute.

Yep a Deputy I know got stabbed with a meat fork. Them wenches will turn on ya.

Some of those circumstances have changed in the last decade. I wouldn't personally shot at someone, much less kill them for stealing out of the yard.

Like it was stated earlier, they're just one step away from home invasion robbery. Next time they might come back to take from inside putting your family at risk since they got away with it the first time. They wouldn't have to worry about it if they were out working a regular job rather than taking things that someone else worked for.

I'm all for the "Make my day" laws. At some point people have to be able to protect what's rightfully theirs from the lowlife scumbags of the earth without having to risk going to jail themselves. It's either that or we adopt some other countries laws regarding theft and other crimes. Crooks won't be so apt to steal if they have only have nubs to grab things with. :laugh:

I was a firearms instructor here in SoFla for approx 6yrs.
Current Fl state law does consider your vehicle or 'conveyance' your castle and the castle doctrine does apply.

There's a difference between being in your vehicle and defending yourself and running out to your vehicle and defending your property. The Castle Doctrine was designed to protect life, not property. If this case had occurred in Florida, he would be convicted of murder.

Also, for those of you that suggest I "keep it in my pants" until I am willing to fire, I want to know how you suggest I handle predators that are on my property, yet not invading my home? I don't live in Texas where I can just fire my weapon at anything that moves. While the law is pretty clear, it's also very clear that pointing a weapon at someone on my property is going to result in two outcomes, either he becomes aggressive and I shoot, or he leaves and problem solved.

Besides, it's going to be very difficult to conceal my Mossberg.

Last edited:
There's a difference between being in your vehicle and defending yourself and running out to your vehicle and defending your property. The Castle Doctrine was designed to protect life, not property. If this case had occurred in Florida, he would be convicted of murder.

Also, for those of you that suggest I "keep it in my pants" until I am willing to fire, I want to know how you suggest I handle predators that are on my property, yet not invading my home? I don't live in Texas where I can just fire my weapon at anything that moves. While the law is pretty clear, it's also very clear that pointing a weapon at someone on my property is going to result in two outcomes, either he becomes aggressive and I shoot, or he leaves and problem solved.

by predator, I'm assuming you mean animals???SHOOT THEM! If you mean people...are they trying to break into your home? Breaking into your truck? Vandalizing your property? SHOOT THEM TOO!If they're just wondering around your property and not causing any problems then they're not "predators", they are vagrants and you should just call the police.

Last edited:

That's easy, you shoot em outside with a small caliber, drag em inside, shoot em again with the Mossie for blood splatter, then call 911. :laugh:

While the law is pretty clear, it's also very clear that pointing a weapon at someone on my property is going to result in two outcomes, either he becomes aggressive and I shoot, or he leaves and problem solved.

so your gimmick is to run people away with your shotgun and if they get lippy afterr you pull a gun on them then go from there?

hope you dont have to defend those actions in court.

so your gimmick is to run people away with your shotgun and if they get lippy afterr you pull a gun on them then go from there?

hope you dont have to defend those actions in court.

Gimmick? It's more like pro-active defense. I don't like to lose my possessions any more than the next guy, so when I hear something outside, I tend to check it out. And I think it would be pretty stupid of me to go outside unarmed if there is a chance of running into a thief. And if I called the cops every time I heard a noise I suppose I would be labeled a nut job pretty quickly.

As for defending myself in court, I doubt it would come up unless I had to shoot him. In that event, I wouldn't need to defend much.

Gimmick? It's more like pro-active defense. I don't like to lose my possessions any more than the next guy, so when I hear something outside, I tend to check it out. And I think it would be pretty stupid of me to go outside unarmed if there is a chance of running into a thief. And if I called the cops every time I heard a noise I suppose I would be labeled a nut job pretty quickly.

As for defending myself in court, I doubt it would come up unless I had to shoot him. In that event, I wouldn't need to defend much.

if you run outside with a shotgun every time you hear a noise your a nut too:poke:

but you've stated a personal item isn't worth killing over. why the gun? you wouldn't use it to kill someone if they were stealing. but when they come back they'll have a gun and be waiting for you this time.

going outside with a gun to an unkown situation isnt defense its offense. staying in your house with a gun is defense.

Back