"No Busa for You"

I don't think a Busa is a good first bike. Too heavy. Too much $ WHEN it gets dropped. Too easy for the power to scare a beginner.

New 600's also make about 100 hp. A little shy on low end torque, and probably way too cramped for a guy of PastorJeff's size.

You probably won't like my suggestion, but I recommend a dual purpose bike. Something like an xl500, or klr650. Enough power to deal with the freeway, light enough to deal with, and built to be punished. Trade your way up to a big bike, even 600's are not meant for beginners.

Just my .02

Ok, since everyone else has put thier .02 in i'm gonna throw mine in, I know the issue of a busa as a first bike has been hashed from every standpoint possible and i do agree that for most people it is way too much bike to learn on. However, I do have a problem with folks that look to smaller or bikes with less performance thinking that will make it safer to learn on. Do not kid yourself you can get into just as much trouble just as quick on a rebel 250 as you can a busa, some of you may disagree but I think I have a valid point.As we all know no bike will go any faster or slower than you make it go or not go.SO, having said that my suggestion would be to go busa, even myself I do have riding exp but I havent ridden in over 10 years I have no doubt in my mind that I can go buy my busa which I will do and "learn" all over again, afterall whatever bike you start out on the next one is gonna be an entirely different animal anyway.SO, again you hafta ask yourself if you are confident enough in your riding skills and most importantly in control of your right wrist and then make your decision on your bike.
MAN!! I fell better now
smile.gif

JC

Buy a 'busa and ride it like you stole it. Either you'll kill yourself in the process or you'll pick it up and get comfortable.

Fine, no bike will go faster than the throttle is twisted, agreed, but if a mistake is made, it is more likley to be severe if you launch with 150 hp than 30 or 40.

Buy a smaller bike, and trade up. Take the MSF course.

And if you don't agree, buy your 18 year old child a fast car as their first car.

I am about your weight...I always rode my brother's 600's...The 1st bike I purchased was a 00 750. I bought the bike in Oct 02 and took the MSF Basic Course (Learn on 250 cc Bike provided by School) 2 weeks later. I did not ride the bike until I finished the course and got my licence. I started out slow...got familiar with the bike. I rode back and forth to work and after 3K miles, I went the the Advanced Rider Course (On your own bike)

After I put about 9K miles...and I started dragracing..I bought an 02 1K motor and put that in the 750 frame...I rode it for a few months (Still have it) and bought an 04 Puple and Black Busa.

I would say the 750 is a good place to start for your size..you could find a 00-02 750 between 3 and 5K. The 00-02, unlike the 03-04, is larger and fits us XL bros....This bike is pretty tame if you keep it out of the powerbank (Shifting between 7-9 Grand and up) you will be fine.

I have to admit that I am really enjoying the differences in the opinioins in this thread. I am going to be buying a seperate bike to start out with for two reasons...

1. My memories of riding are all encompassed from my highschool days...16-18 and most of it was on a Nighthawk and a moped (Shhhhh....don't tell anyone!) I want to know that the $$$ that I invest in a Busa is going to be something that I WANT to do for a long time. What if I get on, and now that I am older (35 years old) riding scares the pee out of me. What if I am constantly paranoid about getting hit? I was not like this before...I loved riding. Only had the bike slide out from under me once (stupid peat rock!). I would rather be out $5000.00 compared to $10,000.00

2. I want to get my feet wet on something that will be good for a guy my size and something that I can learn to control that is more forgiving than the Busa. From what I am told, the Busa can bite you in the butt if you don't respect the bike. I want to make my mistakes on a bike that is more forgiving.

3. My little brother is a former drug addict...heroin. He is doinig well and has been clean for almost 5 years. He used to ride all the time...but lost everything. I want to have a second bike so that when I get back into riding, I have something so he can go with me. Other than my wife and kids, he is my world. I found that no matter what...you cannot shut off the older brother gene. My little brother is the same size as me. My Dr. said I am built like a silverback gorilla...could of slapped him.

So I guess it comes down to what bike to get. I really do appreciate all the comments and links to bikes so I can see them and take note of them. Before I get a bike, I will definately post them on here to get opinions from you guys.

Rev - Was it you that said the Katana was not a good one to begin on? Why was that? Is it just a bad bike or is it just the wuss factor? Don't want that either! Hehehe!

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the links!

Jeffrey

I agree that the Busa is not the bike to start on, so I have been pounding the dealerships looking for a bike to start on to learn the ropes before I get the bike of my dreams.

I am a heavy rider...280-290#'s, I have little bike experience...not since High School.  I really don't want to spend alot of $$$ on a learner bike as I would rather save the $$$ for the Busa.

So here are my questions...

What is the best bike to learn on?

How much should I look to spend?

Do I buy from a dealer or look for a private party?

Do I take the MSC before I get the bike or after?

Thanks...I did a search and did not find the answers to these questions.  Sorry if they are repeats.

Jeffrey
i wouldn't waste money on a 'starter' bike.  you're a big enough guy, get the busa or do the msf course then get the busa.  if you have patience and is able to handle the bike i.e., pick it off the side stand, plant your feet, etc., you'll be find.  just take your time and ride at your skill level. at least that's how i did it when i started riding 10 yrs. ago and my first bike was a 1100cc.  i also have friends that went that route instead of starter bikes or msf course a couple of years ago.  the bikes they bought were r1, gxsr1k, cbr929 and zx12r. they all did fine.  in my case, it's never the machine, it's the rider so i can't emphasize enough, take your time and ride at your level.  practice, practice, practice on large open areas like college campus parking lots on the weekend when there's no car. however, if you are still not comfortable about the idea of getting a new busa as a first bike, choose what ever makes you most comfortable.

<!--EDIT|willgetbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1097908969 -->

Oh No No, I think a Katana 750 is a perfect lead in to the Busa, I just think that over all the VFR 750/800 is a better built, better handling, more durable machine. And it has a whoop butt V-4 sound... Pure auditory heaven with the right can on it...
smile.gif

My argument is MSF 1st. You can do without sure, but I really do think it's a critical step. I also fully disagree with the 250cc thing. You gotta have a bike that can get out of it's own way and is at least SOMEHOW related to what kind of riding you intend to do. When I get off the Busa and onto my Bro's HD, I feel completely dissoriented for awhile. So if your after having a Big Bike, get a big bike to learn on that is kinda similar, The VFRs or Katanas are comfy and about the exact same size as the Busa without the price tag or extra 60HP. Nice and forgiving and are REAL bikes, not some two wheeled weirdness that might end up getting you hurt simply because they are dangerously under powered. Too little power is just as or MORE hazardous than too much IMNSHO...

Be patient, go to the bookstore, Get some books, do some reading. Then take your time and sit on a lot of bikes, and really decide if you even WANT to get back onto two wheels.

Don't start too big IMO because I believe that folks that start on the Big liter bikes are almost NEVER able to truly get comfortable and understand where their limits or the bike's limits really are. A smaller less intimidating less $$$ will allow you to get comfortable faster, and eventually trully exploit them. Really able to squeeze everything out of them in the corners and in a straight line. Once you are hitting the edges of your tires, and find yourself twisting the Nuts off the 750? Then you move up and start from where you left off, otherwise you'll be the wobbling geek in the parking lot staring 2' in front of the bike avoiding u-turns cause they are spooky...

smile.gif

smile.gif

I agree with BusaBrother the older gsxr 1100's are the way to go for someone your age and size to start out on. That old school gixxer that PastorJeff posted is awsome and a very clean looking bike, I wouldn't mind having that bike myself to park beside the busa.
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|Blue Streak
Reason for Edit: None given...|1097912286 -->

Take the Course Pastor Jeff First, it will make for a smoother transition to street riding with fewer mistakes. As for the bike Rev hit the nail on the head and as for starting on the Busa, fellas everyone knows the bike goes only as fast as you twist the wrist, however it's when we make mistakes that the less forgiving street bikes (ie 750, 1000, Busa, zx12r) put us on our rears, in a ditch or down an imbankment or through the front door of Bank of America. Honestly today's 600cc are so built for racing, they're not necessarly good starter bikes either. Anyway PJ, go with the VFR or Kat buy one used for less than $4000, because you'll be wanting to upgrade soon. Don't buy new, buy used with decent mileage and one that can be traded or sold when you ready to upgrade. Blessed shopping brotha and may Christ lead you in your search.

BD

I had a Suzuki Katana 750 before I got the 'Busa.  It is about the same weight, but has less power than the 'Busa (no surprise there).  I liked it because it let me get comfortable without spending too much.  And you certainly won't look like a gorilla on it.  If you go used you can probably get a fairly new one for around $5k.  Getting from a dealer or private party depends on how comfortable you are with the bike.  If it's just something to help you learn before the 'Busa then I wouldn't worry and get the best and cheapest thing you can get.  That way when/if you drop it it won't matter and you can still get ready for the big step!
couldn't have said it any better myself.

Any bike can kill you if you let it. I started on a Bandit 600 and was able to scare the crap out of myself on some "dumber" days. Point is, look for a bike that feels comfortable to you both fit and finance. Take the MSF course (either before or after). Gear up, gear up, gear up! Take your time learning how to ride. I spent alot of time in parking lots with low speed turning, emergency manuevers like braking, swerveing, and getting over objects (2"X4"s, etc.). Most importantly, get out and ride as much as you can.

That is one of the nice things about working for a big church...the parking lot is huge and a couple of football fields in length.

Definately the place that I am goinig to practise.

Jeffrey

I say you should buy a Treadmill first. After you get down to about 215, 220 get a GSx-R 750. Ride that for 2 years then join us again on the forum.

Ok, well I already through my .02 in and now you say the real reason for considering a "starter" bike is so ur bro can ride along with you when you do purchase your busa, this all makes much more sence now.In this case I would definatley agree with everyone one elses's suggestions on appropriate bikes.Someone in another post said better than what I was trying to say when they said the new 600cc bikes are setup for racing and that's kinda the point I was trying to make in my earlier post.I mean heck there are 600's running high 10's in the 1/4 bone stock.But a use kat would be nice so would a gixxer 750 or 1k, any of those bike should fit you just fine, i'm pretty close to your size and have ridden those 3 at least anyway.
JC

Lots of good advice...Take the MSC first...At your size I would look at an older ZX11 or a Suz 1100...Those bikes are inline with the current sport tourer and offer pretty good performance but they don't over do it...Great beginners and pass on bikes...Your full size and you need something that will tote you...You should be able to find either one of these bikes at a reasonable price...Lower insurance rates and almost no maintenance...
evil.gif

Back