New teen '08 owner.  Q's on Mods:

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:
<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
- Sprockets: You said to change the sprocket, going up 1 or 2 teeth. Please explain the purpose and function, and why I would want to 'go up' teeth?[/quote]

going up teeth means swopping out the sprocket (rear in this case) gives you more torque, just like on a 10 speed bike. You will loose some top end speed but is worth the extra speed. at the strip it is a must. you wont go 190 mph in a 1/4 anyway. the oem is 40tooth mine is 43 but 42 is also pretty common. my .02 is go with a 43 tooth

side note: changing the sprocket will throw off speedo. will register ie.45 instead of 35. A speedohealer will correct it (99.95)[/quote]
Only problem is he has a 08 and you have a 99.

The Gen-II 08 BUSA comes with 18/43 gearing which is approximately the same ratio as the 17/40 of the Gen-I bikes. He's going to have to go bigger than a 43 on the rear or drop to a 17 in the front to get the same results....
winkold.gif

<div class="iF-Passage"><div class="QUOTEHEAD">Quote:
<div class="QUOTE clearfix"><span class="quoteBegin"> </span>
- Sprockets:  You said to change the sprocket, going up 1 or 2 teeth.  Please explain the purpose and function, and why I would want to 'go up' teeth?

going up teeth means swopping out the sprocket (rear in this case) gives you more torque, just like on a 10 speed bike. You will loose some top end speed but is worth the extra speed. at the strip it is a must. you wont go 190 mph in a 1/4 anyway. the oem is 40tooth mine is 43 but 42 is also pretty common. my .02 is go with a 43 tooth

side note: changing the sprocket will throw off speedo. will register ie.45 instead of 35. A speedohealer will correct it (99.95)[/quote]
Only problem is he has a 08 and you have a 99.

The Gen-II 08 BUSA comes with 18/43 gearing which is approximately the same ratio as the 17/40 of the Gen-I bikes.  He's going to have to go bigger than a 43 on the rear or drop to a 17 in the front to get the same results....  
winkold.gif
[/quote]
rock.gif
my bad didnt know they changed the sprockets. I would go dn. to a 17 in the frt. but no more. Week late though, sorry.

Back