My new Kel-Tec SU16

thrasherfox

BUSA
Donating Member
Registered
Well, it is not quite the M-16 or the AR-15

But it is the best I can do in California.

Who knows, maybe in some ways it is better.

It weights 5.0 pounds

The M16 weighs 7.5 pounds

My new Kel-Tec holds either two 10 round clips in the stock or one 20 / 30 round clip in the stock

You can mount the same sight system on my Kel-Tec that is on the M16

My Kel-Tec takes the same magazines that the M16 / AR15 takes.

Here is a pic of it.

KIF_0647.JPG

if you love the kel tec (i have one and its fun as h e double toothpics to shoot ) you would love to shoot this one!!! one raged hole at 50 yards !!!!!!!! i did a trigger job on my kel tech and it really came out of its own with 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards i put a atm 2nd gen night scope on mine and a can. its great to shoot beaver and coyote with!!

IMGP0597.jpg

Schweeeeet....
biggrin.gif

I am really needing to move out of California.

They have their OWN assault rifle ban. They are trying to lead the way for tagged rounds.

Not allowed to carry around a loaded fire arm unless you have a CCW and it is impossible to get a CCW unless you know someone, and even then it is real difficult.

I don't understand why California is more screwed up in its laws than most other states.

No longer allowed to purchase ANY .50 cal weapon, so no rifles and you cannot get the .50 Desert Eagle any longer.

If I did not have such a kick a$$ job here in California I would be looking else where to work and move.

Oh yeah, did I mention to high capacity magazines? I think the largest magazine you can have is 10 round.

How many rounds does your rife in the picture hold? What caliber?

Any suggestions on how to mount my Bi-Pod?

In the picture it is a temp solution using a big Zip tie. It worked, but I am going to have to do some of my own fabrications, unless you know of anything on the market I can purchase that will adapt it to my rife.

My rifle has the rail under the grip, so I am thinking there might be something on the market that would allow me to attach the bipod to the rail.. Any ideas?

It looks like you know enough about guns where I probably don’t have to explain, but in case you are not sure what I am talking about. The fore end, on the bottom, has the same kind of rail that is on top with just enough of a V that I could clamp something to it as I did the scope on top of the rifle.

If you blow up the picture, the top rail where the scope is and the bottom rail on the fore end are identical.

I love shooting this thing. I really missed shooting my M16 when I was in the corps, so this is bringing back good memory's
smile.gif

Now I am focusing on getting my skills back up to par.. 1 shot 1 kill dontchya know
biggrin.gif

Oh dang, as long as I am asking you questions
biggrin.gif

Do you know where I can find information such as trajectory info for the .223 round? Looking for something along the lines as for every 100 yards the round drops XX amount of inches.

In the corps we shot 100 yard, 200 yard, 300 yard and 500 yard.

The range I go to only has 100 yard and less and I would like to get my 500 yard skills back to par, I used to be able to shoot 500 yards with an M16, no scope regular sights and keep the pattern with in about 3 inches (once I was sighted in and as long as the wind was not blowing REAL bad
smile.gif
)

Was figuring if I could find out the trajectory of the .223, I could use my 100 yard range and just practice placing the round however many inches above bulls eye for each 100 yards over 100 yards.

My 13 year old son is getting a kick out of shooting my .223 also. Once we get the sights and all dialed in, I am going to teach him the different positions (prone, sitting, kneeling and standing)

Hope you don’t mind all the questions. I just have been out of the shooting scene for awhile and it seems like you have some knowledge.

Not allowed to cary around a loaded fire arm unless you have a CCW and it is impossible to get a CCW unless you know someone, and even then it is real difficult.

I dont understand why California is more screwed up in its laws than most other states.
thumbs-up.gif

<!--EDIT|thrasherfox
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117481567 -->

biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

smile.gif

Forgot to mention, really brought more memory's taking it apart and cleaning it. It has the same type bolt as the M16, took it all apart, removed the firing pin, stripped it down to parade rest
biggrin.gif

Actually easier to disasemble than the M16, pretty much could use a .223 round to push pins out, everything else is grab and twist
smile.gif

Do you have the Kel-Tec SU16 also? or the sub 2000? The sub 2000 looks like an intersting rifle http://www.kel-tec.com/prod03.htm

Especially the .40 cal option

Sweet weapon.

1) Is you bipod a Harris. If it is they have an adaptor to fit on the pickitinny (sp) rail. It has a sling stud on the bottom that the bipod clips onto.

2) You need to move the F out of California. Insane gun laws. Makes no sense at all to ban the weapons they are banning. I think it is more of a "feel good" measure on their part. I haven't heard of many gang bangers robbing people with a $8000 .50 caliber rifle. So logically, banning them will will solve a problem?

3) About the trajectory of the .223. Well it really depends on several factors. Bullet weight (ie 55gr, 62gr, etc), balistic coefficient, length of barrel, and velocity of the round. You should be able to obtain the info from remmington.com or by any of the reloading sites (RCBS is a good one). Most reloading manuals have the data you need. Try your local gun shop.

4) If you decide to switch coasts and move to NC, I'll hook you up with the CCW training (Hey you know someone now
smile.gif
)

Have a great time with your new "toy". Chris

Sweet weapon.

1) Is you bipod a Harris. If it is they have an adaptor to fit on the pickitinny (sp) rail. It has a sling stud on the bottom that the bipod clips onto.

2) You need to move the F out of California. Insane gun laws. Makes no sense at all to ban the weapons they are banning. I think it is more of a "feel good" measure on their part. I haven't heard of many gang bangers robbing people with a $8000 .50 caliber rifle. So logically, banning them will will solve a problem?

3) About the trajectory of the .223. Well it really depends on several factors. Bullet weight (ie 55gr, 62gr, etc), balistic coefficient, length of barrel, and velocity of the round. You should be able to obtain the info from remmington.com or by any of the reloading sites (RCBS is a good one). Most reloading manuals have the data you need. Try your local gun shop.

4) If you decide to switch coasts and move to NC, I'll hook you up with the CCW training (Hey you know someone now
smile.gif
)

Have a great time with your new "toy". Chris
Cool.. thanks Chris...

Yeah I dont EVEN get the fricken CCW laws here.

I hold a Top Secret Federal government clearance

43 years old, dont even have a ticket on my driving record.

About as stable as anyone can be these days, and I have been turned down 3 times for a CCW.

Each department has a "just cause" clause. And the way it is written NO ONE would be allowed to carry a weapon.

I have a friend who is a District Attorney, and HE has been turned down for a CCW.

Once I heard HE was turned down and HE cannot even carry a weapon, I pretty much just threw my hands in the air and said forget it. If he cannot get one, not a chance in "you know where" that I can get one.

The Bipod is a..... not sure, it says Shooters Ridge on the package, it also says Rock Mount on the package, and it reads Rock Steady in smaller lettering.

I bought it at wallmart, however nwo that I looked at the package they have a web site so I guess I will start there.

Another choice I reccomend highly in .223 is the Olympic Arms OA-98. I got one last year and have "built" it to my satisfaction. It may get around some of the laws as it is marketed as a "pistol". Check it out at "olyarms.com" They are not cheap but well worth the price if you want a choped down AR-15 with a 4" barrel. I have sunk about 2K into it including all the goodies (laser sight, c-more holosight, surefire light, birdcage, oversized handgaurd, and combat sling). Gives an instant "woody" when you fire it. The total weapon is about 15" long and is totally bad ass.

Just ask Warbaby as he saw the completed piece at the last busa bash.

Chris

I use the built in folding bipod on mine I think the part you need is harris pipod adapter #5 as it will give you a sling stud needed to attach the bipod havent looked at the pipod type you have but from the pic it looks like the harris . I do alot of reloading but i dont use reloads in the kel tech I have tried several factory rounds in her but the winchester 45 grain varmint high velocity 3600 fps stuff shoots best in mine . (bought at walmart) I buy the 40 round value pac as far as bullet trajectory any good reloading manual will have that info. the rifle in my pic is a ruger 10/22 with a 30 round mag i put a match grade hammer and sear in it 16 inch bull barrel and good scope !

I checked out the Keltec rifles at the SHOT Show but never actaully shot one. I'm a .308 nut myself. If they are as reliable as my 3AT you should be all set ;)

I checked out the Keltec rifles at the SHOT Show but never actaully shot one. I'm a .308 nut myself. If they are as reliable as my 3AT you should be all set ;)
The rounds I have been using are Remington .223 55 grain

I get them at Walmart. $3.97 for 20 rounds

I have fired about 200 rounds so far through the rifle and have not had any jams yet.

So far so good..... it has been fun to shoot
biggrin.gif

you need to move out of the people's republic of california.....if you come to oklahoma (no redneck jokes please) we can shoot some full auto H&Ks......

Very cool tharsher! very cool.

Get outa that goofy state! C'mon up to the great NW!
smile.gif

Schweeeeet....
biggrin.gif

I am really needing to move out of California.

They have their OWN assault rifle ban. They are trying to lead the way for tagged rounds.

Not allowed to carry around a loaded fire arm unless you have a CCW and it is impossible to get a CCW unless you know someone, and even then it is real difficult.

I don't understand why California is more screwed up in its laws than most other states.
heh i know what ure talking about
In canada, u must first take a course and obtain a PAL (possesion and acquision license) all rifles are registered, and u are not allowed to walk around with a gun unless u are hunting, as for hand guns they are for recreation use only, u have to join a club, when transported it has to be in a locked case with a trigger lock, with the ammunition in a seperate locked case,

so i suggest to fight any new laws u can, and dont sit back like the rest of Canada did, before we know it we wont be able to own a gun

The rounds I have been using are Remington .223 55 grain

I get them at Walmart. $3.97 for 20 rounds

I have fired about 200 rounds so far through the rifle and have not had any jams yet.

So far so good..... it has been fun to shoot
biggrin.gif
Have you checked out the online ammo sources?? I get 90% of my stuff from :

http://ammoman.com/

Back