New Piece for Concealed Carry

CTA_Busa_LE

Donating Member
Registered
Well I wasn't happy with my Ruger LCP and wanted something with a bit more bang to it but didn't want to get into carrying a bigger, heavier gun especially with summer coming up. Don't get me wrong, I love the Ruger LCP and have had no problems with it, just wanted something bigger than a 380 ACP.

So I picked this up Saturday. It's a Kel-Tec PF-9 9mm. Just a bit bigger than the Ruger but will be very easy to carry and conceal. It's thin and lightweight feels good in my hand. Pinkie still won't fit on it but hey, can't have everything.

I've never owned a Kel-Tec and had always thought of them as a cheaper gun (until I priced them) and several guys I know that have had them have highly recommended this one.

I've still not range tested it yet. Was going to yesterday but got busy at work and didn't make it to the range and today I just didn't have enough interest to go do it. Will give a full report when I do go though, might even take some pics.

IMG_1209.jpg

nice piece.
i don't know anything about kel tek but now i am going to do my research

As I said, I'll post up range results when I get them. For the size it was a toss up between the Kel-Tec and a Kahr Arms 9mm. The Kahr that my dealer had in stock was stainless so the weight definitely ruled it out.

This one fits nicely in the inner chest pocket of my riding jacket.

you do know the .380 and 9mm is basically almost the same round? nice carry piece either way. i persoannly carry the smith and wesson Sw-99 .40 Compact

you do know the .380 and 9mm is basically almost the same round? nice carry piece either way. i persoannly carry the smith and wesson Sw-99 .40 Compact

different ballistics though not to mention you can go up to a heavier bullet with the 9mm. Same thing with a 38 SPL vs a 357 mag or a 40 S&W vs a 10mm. Very similar but far from being the same. :thumbsup:

Nice looking peice! Kel Tec makes a nice and reasonably priced little gun.

9mm will have nearly twice the knockdown power as the .380

Last edited:

Here is a pretty decent self defense load in .380, 9mm, and 9mm +P.

380.jpg

9mm.jpg

9mm_P.jpg

I've been thinking about picking up a LCP. I was able to play with one at the range a few weeks ago. It would be the first I've considered to substitute for my 38 snub in some time. The KelTec is not a bad looking gun at all.

That's a nice looking weapon. I have had my Kel-Tec P3AT for about 3 years now, and it's a good little weapon. If it's like mine, it'll have a bad attitude for the first 100 rounds or so, but then it'll get straightened out real nice. Congrats!
:beerchug:

Here is a pretty decent self defense load in .380, 9mm, and 9mm +P.

I carry the 124 grain +p in my Glock 17, best 9mm round on the market in my opinion. :thumbsup: Winchester Ranger SXT is also superb stuff. Same design as the old Black Talon except the bullet is bonded and they've made a few advancements on it.

I'm not sure if this Kel-Tec is designed to handle a +p round and if it is it may be a handful. Something I'll be researching.

I've been thinking about picking up a LCP. I was able to play with one at the range a few weeks ago. It would be the first I've considered to substitute for my 38 snub in some time. The KelTec is not a bad looking gun at all.

I bought the LCP due to size. For those times when you still want a gun on you but don't want or can't conceal a larger weapon. They make a pocket holster that is great for them and I still recommend them.

Well I wasn't happy with my Ruger LCP and wanted something with a bit more bang to it but didn't want to get into carrying a bigger, heavier gun especially with summer coming up. Don't get me wrong, I love the Ruger LCP and have had no problems with it, just wanted something bigger than a 380 ACP.

So I picked this up Saturday. It's a Kel-Tec PF-9 9mm. Just a bit bigger than the Ruger but will be very easy to carry and conceal. It's thin and lightweight feels good in my hand. Pinkie still won't fit on it but hey, can't have everything.

I've never owned a Kel-Tec and had always thought of them as a cheaper gun (until I priced them) and several guys I know that have had them have highly recommended this one.

I've still not range tested it yet. Was going to yesterday but got busy at work and didn't make it to the range and today I just didn't have enough interest to go do it. Will give a full report when I do go though, might even take some pics.
I was an armorer in the military and have a fairly extensive experience with different kinds of firerarms. The KEL-TEC is one of those weapons that should be left on the shelf and not purchased. I have rebuilt and customized several of them but I don't trust their relability or workmanship. The trigger takes a lot of getting used to so you can make the thing fire straight. Spend a little more money and by a Glock compact. Many will argue but the Glock is accurate and reliable right out of the box.

I was an armorer in the military and have a fairly extensive experience with different kinds of firerarms. The KEL-TEC is one of those weapons that should be left on the shelf and not purchased. I have rebuilt and customized several of them but I don't trust their relability or workmanship. The trigger takes a lot of getting used to so you can make the thing fire straight. Spend a little more money and by a Glock compact. Many will argue but the Glock is accurate and reliable right out of the box.

I've got plenty of Glocks, even the compacts are quite a bit more work to conceal and carry. This will never be a primary weapon for me and it will be thoroughly tested before I ever rely on it. My decision was based upon size and weight as well as opinions of several trusted gun savvy friends who have owned them. As for the Kel_Tecs I can't argue what you say as this is my first one. It may disappoint me and it may not, going into it with an open mind at this time but I will admit I do love the way it feels.

I have to agree with you on a couple of points here. The Kel-Tec trigger pull is about a mile long and it does have a slightly cheap feel to it. If any Glock meets your need, then definitely take it over the Kel-Tec. However, even the baby Glocks (26, 27, 33) cannot match smaller Kel-Tecs for concealability. I can't speak for all Kel-Tec weapons, but mine has served me well in situations where even my Glock 33 was too large.

A lot of 380's carried concealed. Never owned a Kel Tec just seized a butt load of them :laugh:

I love my Kel-Tec as an easy to conceal weapon... its not a Sig or Glock but I didn't buy it for that and that suites me just fine! I think your going to love it. Mine is very accurate at close range and not so small that it feels awkward in your hands. Keep us posted with your thoughts after you get a chance to become familiar with it...

Back