How would YOU feel about this?

Appreciate all the feedback.

Amazing the different opinions on this. I will agree that cell phones are abused by some but to demand a cell phone while it is shut off then review your calling history is taking the issue to far.

r8

If the company wants the phone off then it should be off or left at home. But in no way does it give them the right to go through my phone when I haven't even done anything wrong.

Let me guess... Some azzhole crashed a train while talking on the fone? :whistle:

Times like these call for drastic measures.
There was a time in the fairly recent past in which cell phones did not exist. Before that time, people still managed to contact family during emergencies. Cell phones have changed the concept of what constitutes an emergency. Personally, I am tired of people's perceived inability to go without a cell phone.

don't get me started with the who cell phones...:soapbox: we survived as a responsible society before them so I don't feel it's unreasonable for an employer to require them to be off unless the employee is on their scheduled break/lunch time.

more posts since I started typing... There's no such thing as privacy. If I suspect an emplyoee doing something wrong then I can take means to identify my suspicions. It's not a democracy. Show me the phone or quit

+1 with explanation.

The few always ruin it for the majority. I run a very large company as VP. I have never had to formally mandate that cell phones could not be used during company time until one derelict kept talking on it while he was supposed to be working. He would hang up as soon as he saw me coming, but like radar it was too late then. Legal Counsel would not let me fire the guy becasue we had no written policy prohibiting it (Did I mention I hate lawyers?:laugh:) So I wrote a policy prohibiting talking on cell phones during working hours. That was short lived because then I would see several employees phones ring. They would stop working, look to see who was calling and then all of a sudden would have the urge to use the restroom. Needless to say they always took their cell with them and were in there for quite some time. So the revised policy was written to prevent cell phones from being brought into the building.

As an employer it irks me that employees think they have the right to use the time I am paying them for to talk on their phones. Don't like it? Then quit.

Last edited:
Scar, my point is not using them on Company time.

My point is that I can walk up to you, demand to see your phone, turn it on and see who you called and when you used it.

r8

Whoops...sorry. I guess I got caught on another tangent. Maybe I should have another cup of coffee.

Yeah...over the top. Way over the top. IMO, then; it's one thing to say you can't use it on company time and enforce that; but it's quite another to go digging in the history on suspicion alone...

Shades of Police State still echoing...

What do you do for work? Are you willing to PM me the name of this company? For nothing else, of course, than to satisfy my curiosity...

Can't use them at my work. I still carry mine on vibrate. Just tell them that you don't have one....they can't search inside your pockets can they?

Times like these call for drastic measures.
There was a time in the fairly recent past in which cell phones did not exist. Before that time, people still managed to contact family during emergencies. Cell phones have changed the concept of what constitutes an emergency. Personally, I am tired of people's perceived inability to go without a cell phone.

Speaking of that, and I'm glad you brought it up. I have two entries in my cell address book for you, brother. If I PM them to you, would you identify which is the correct one?

Thanks in advance! :whistle:

If I had it in my car, and on my break I went outside, got it out of my car and used it, I would think that's getting close to an invasion of privacy issue.

yea, tell them to reach in your pocket to get it, then charge them with sexual harassment or lack of. :rofl:
they could ask to show the phone is off, any more than that is invasion of privacy

Just wondering how the oRg members would feel about this. I sent Sambusa an email I received and he was surprised to say the least.

There is a new policy where I work that has everyone up in arms. Basically it states that the Company Officials have the right to inspect your cell phone while on duty. If it is on...fired. If it is off they have the right to turn it on and browse your calling history. If calls were made within your tour of duty..fired. If you answer your phone while on duty..fired.

Invasion of privacy? Getting carried away?

At this time policy states while stopped you can use it but feel that will change soon. I told you that this was going to get bad in another thread and it has.

r8

Invasion of privacy & Getting carried away....
This is way to much ..... Way over the line...

No need to mention Company Scar. Irrelevant.

Yes, others are going the wrong direction. It's inspecting your phone at will to "see if you have been using it" not using it. We have had that directive concerning use for several years.

r8

ok, i have sort of a different opinion on this, everything on a cell phone is deleteable, the texts,the outgoing calls the incoming calls, so whats the problem here ? in your specific situation r8, where no one is around to prove that you are on the cell, you could just delete everything b4 you get to the station :poke: just my .02 $

ok, i have sort of a different opinion on this, everything on a cell phone is deleteable, the texts,the outgoing calls the incoming calls, so whats the problem here ? in your specific situation r8, where no one is around to prove that you are on the cell, you could just delete everything b4 you get to the station :poke: just my .02 $

You are correct.

Why should I have to feel like a "sneak"? It's degrading in nature.

r8

No need to mention Company Scar. Irrelevant.

Yes, others are going the wrong direction. It's inspecting your phone at will to "see if you have been using it" not using it. We have had that directive concerning use for several years.

r8

So it's been against the rules for several years to use it on company time ???

Sounds like people have NOT been obeying the rules and management has had
to take it to the next level.

Man, this is a tough one! I agree if safety, good order and welfare of others that may mandate such an order. But I have a problem with someone coming up to me and ordering me to turn over my phone to check if I called anyone during company hours.

When I worked in the jail I couldn't have a cell phone on me at all, which I understood! I guess I'm trying to say if it's policy then that's that!

I'm also believe that some @ caused this policy. There's always someone that says/does what they want and the rest of us have to suffer!!!JM2cents!!!

I guess I missed that point too :banghead:

That is over the top. Policy should allow them to state no cell phones during work hours. But they should not be able to go through your cell phone and search for information. There is no reason to. If they want no cell phones on you while working then there shouldn't be a cell phone. If they want them off, then a simple prove it's off is all that is needed. The only reason this should even be thought of is if they are investigating someone neglecting some portion of thier job to talk on the cell phone.

So it's been against the rules for several years to use it on company time ???

Sounds like people have NOT been obeying the rules and management has had
to take it to the next level.

It's OK to use while stopped. (at this time)

For years it was used as communication between parties. (management and others)

This is due to the fact of one individuals actions. My employer has been waiting for a tragedy to happen so as to force the issue at someone else's expense.

r8

Back