Donations are open for awhile

Done and done, thanks for trying to keep this a free of charge place. I feel like a small donation is such a drop in the bucket compared to all of what you people to make this a 2nd home.

Done. Thanks for keeping this place alive. That goes for Captain and everyone else that contributes. :beerchug: :beerchug: :beerchug:

Captain,

How should I word this... maybe some advice.

From a whois of your domain, if you are paying for dedicated servers to a colo company, you are wasting your money. That can run upwards of 400-700 a month if not more.

I see a lot of forums like this fall into the category of dedicated server hosting. In short, it is not needed. Most of the companies out there, like blue host, offer unlimited bandwidth, unlimited mysql databases, unlimited email addresses, etc. for under 50 bucks a month. They have MPLS backbones, redundancy, etc.

Vbulletin is around 300 bucks a year if I am not mistaken (I own it), that is if you want to keep with updates, which I am sure you do.

I hope you don't take the post the wrong way, just trying to help. Depending on what it is taking you to run the site, you could probably cut that by at least 75%. With the amount of sponsors you have on this board, you should be WAY in the positive.

Captain,

How should I word this... maybe some advice.

From a whois of your domain, if you are paying for dedicated servers to a colo company, you are wasting your money. That can run upwards of 400-700 a month if not more.

I see a lot of forums like this fall into the category of dedicated server hosting. In short, it is not needed. Most of the companies out there, like blue host, offer unlimited bandwidth, unlimited mysql databases, unlimited email addresses, etc. for under 50 bucks a month. They have MPLS backbones, redundancy, etc.

Vbulletin is around 300 bucks a year if I am not mistaken (I own it), that is if you want to keep with updates, which I am sure you do.

I hope you don't take the post the wrong way, just trying to help. Depending on what it is taking you to run the site, you could probably cut that by at least 75%. With the amount of sponsors you have on this board, you should be WAY in the positive.

Your smoking crack if you think a hosting company will let us host for 50.00 a month on a shared server... I have worked in the IT hosting field for 15 years for some major ISP's across the country...

No ISP is going to let a site with as much traffic as the ORG run on a shared server, we used to have that and we were kicked off two of them in the early years...

Thanks for the advice but trust me when I say that having a dedicated server is the only way...

cap...

Your smoking crack if you think a hosting company will let us host for 50.00 a month on a shared server... I have worked in the IT hosting field for 15 years for some major ISP's across the country...

No ISP is going to let a site with as much traffic as the ORG run on a shared server, we used to have that and we were kicked off two of them in the early years...

Thanks for the advice but trust me when I say that having a dedicated server is the only way...

cap...

I wanted to apologise to jpowell490 here, while we appreciate folks making suggestions and offering ideas my post may have been a little harsh.

I have been on both sides of the hosting platform, I know all the tricks and catches... It doesn't take long to get on the Internet to find the evidence to show what I was referring to. I found this page in about 30 seconds. If you have a static page or a website that doesnt use a lot of CPU then Bluehost may be an option for you but for all the things the org does, a dedicated server is a must.....

Excessive CPU Usage with Bluehost - One of the Reasons Bluehost Sucks

Cap if you would stop tracking satellites that move at 17000 mph you could probably get away with using a Virtual Server (maybe using VMWare Vsphere 4 and clustering if you would really like some high availability) with dedicated resources connected to a high availability SAN's. Low end hosting companies that incorporate solutions that don't guarantee or limit system resources have failed to enter this century. Those folks are really only useful in hosting low volume static content web sites. Anyhow your site does rock and performance is great!:beerchug:

Geosynchronous orbit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
:cheerleader:

Cap if you would stop tracking satellites that move at 17000 mph you could probably get away with using a Virtual Server (maybe using VMWare Vsphere 4 and clustering if you would really like some high availability) with dedicated resources connected to a high availability SAN's. Low end hosting companies that incorporate solutions that don't guarantee or limit system resources have failed to enter this century. Those folks are really only useful in hosting low volume static content web sites. Anyhow your site does rock and performance is great!:beerchug:

Geosynchronous orbit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
:cheerleader:

yeah, but the cost of the vSphere licenses is far too prohibitive... I know - I'm buying more for work. LOL

Your smoking crack if....
cap...

Well, not this weekend, at least not for me. The donate button got my crack budget for the weekend. Luckily, I didn't tap into the beer, gambling and women of ill repute budget so I'll still be able to have a little fun.

:moon::whistle::laugh::beerchug:

cheers
ken

Cap,

Before I respond, if you wouldn't mind telling me, how much bandwidth on average are you pulling through here a month?

Cap,

Before I respond, if you wouldn't mind telling me, how much bandwidth on average are you pulling through here a month?

There is no need to respond... there isnt really any need for discussion... You just need to realize that we get millions of hits a month and there is no way we are going back to a shared server..

I would have to ask you that if for 3.95 cents per month had unlimited everything then why are all the busineses in the US using that service instead of hosting their own data centers all over the world.....

Your not going to sway my mind so I would just drop it....

cap

I've seen the results of forums smaller than this getting on shared servers. Everyone gripes about slow search results, slow page loads, etc etc. I can't even imagine the bandwidth the org consumes what with all the HUGE pics and sigs alone found on just about every page. I'm more than happy to throw a few bucks in to help with costs, beats a slow bogged down site any day! :thumbsup:

Back