Busa at a trackday

WWJD

Donating Member
Registered
Buddy and I hit the Heatland Park road course as seen below.Drove down in a Hummer pulling a large aluminum trailor. Weather threatened the Monday trackday for a week before hand : rain, isolated showers, tornados, hail, meteors, you name it, but we got NOTHING but 75 degrees, some wind, and a lot of cloud cover. Sun poked out enough that I still got burned, and it keep the temp even. I still have Diablo Strada sport/tour tires on - which, although stick well enough, I don't recomend for sportier riding because the side walls flex too much and the overall carcus seems softer - too soft for great control. Also with more/ deeper tread pattern, the "Squiggle" around a lot.

One thing I noticed at the track, is that the Michelin Pilot Powers are the thing to use. I've chatted with many good riders from club to pro and they all think the Powers got it goin on: no warm up time, great grip, very good wear, great feel and control. not many have tried Pirelli but the ones that did liked them a lot, but give the edge to the Michelins for being a little more track oriented and robust for that. They all laugh at Dunlop. And I rarely see many Bridgestones out there.

The video rider got TONS of cool footage of my busa's tail, and they are sending me most of that later. I'll post us some stills from it at a later date - needless to say [ as usual] trackday has made my technique and skill at handling this beast better and better. It's still a handful, but a handfull of fun!
smile.gif

Club_Course_Map.jpg

Preloading the bikes, cleaned and ready to roll. 2003 Hayabusa, 2005 Ducati 749 - No, I haven't ridden it.
I spent more time riding, less time taking pics this go round - gotta focus on what you are there for sometimes ;)

bikes.JPG

I hope to try THESE tires on the Busa for my next track day. The sidewalls are stiff and the tread pattern unique and functional. Gonna have to make some mods so they fit under the tail

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147184720 -->

newtires.JPG

morning of the Trackday - Monday the 8th. cloudy, cloudy, cloudy, ended up partly cloudy and about 74 degrees. beautiful

morning.JPG

After a day of riding, I realized I had never scuffed THIS FAR onto the edges of my front tires! Back tires? Fuggetaboutit. Picture not even needed. It was a great track, lots of hills, turns, straits. Although I could use 1st and 3rd on the front stretch, I stayed in 2nd gear almost ALL DAY simple because I wanted to concentrate on smoothing out rather than getting there quicker. I saw 160 on teh speedo on front strait and 20 on some corners, but stayed in 2nd and just bounced the limited and never worried about shifting. a few people went thru the dirt including a guy I was following close on purpose - he missed the corner, I saw him and backed off, he road the dirt for about 20 feet, checked behind him and popped back on right in front of me since I had slowed a lot, and took right off again. I wish I had my camera for that.

All in all, probably the best day at teh track for me yet, and I will be goming back to this track often. It's only a 4-5 hour drive for me. WAY worth it.

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147184812 -->

tire.JPG

packed up and ready for the return trip. can't wait for the next one!

"AH'LL BE BAAAAACH!"

packed.JPG

Nice pics, Greg! I wish I could have joined ya - HPT is practically in my backyard!

Let me know when the next one is - I'll try and make it!

if you need to try a track day, there's one here next week, but I doubt I'll be down for that one... I am considering it though

crap. just remembered my tires are shot and I cant get them changed before then. I will definitely let you know when I come down next. If you like riding, track days are awesome!

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147186490 -->

Guys and gals, I cant tell you how much track days have improved my smoothness.

I have been told many times to give one a try and I finally did last November. In 2 track days, I learned more on how to be quicker than in 16+ years of street riding.

Give it a try, you will not be disapointed.

Sorry for the threadjack WWJD, it just seems to fit in any trackday thread.

NICE WWJD!!! Do you know if there was a photographer that took pics and posts on the net?

Back