before the zx11 fastest bike?

But Aaaaaaaaaaaah boys you forgot the one that started the fast machines in the 80's if I remember right was the first production bike considered the fastest and that was the Honda V65 Magna......I owned one...
cool.gif

But Aaaaaaaaaaaah boys you forgot the one that started the fast machines in the 80's if I remember right was the first production bike considered the fastest and that was the Honda V65 Magna......I owned one...
cool.gif
Me too, senior year of high school/first year of college, that bike was a monster. I also had its main rival a couple years later, a very used and abused Vmax, the VMAX felt a bit quicker but the magna was honestly one of the best cruising bikes I have owned, it was damn comfortable..and wicked fast for what it was. The vmax really needs taller gearing.

<!--EDIT|wickedsprint
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126978911 -->

I will leave the crack to you but I was thinking incorrectly, I was thinking of the ZX-11. I have a cycle world magazine, quickest and fastest issue, dated September 1991 sitting on my lap. In it the results are:

ZX-11 176 mph 10.36@135.54 1/4 mile with 118 RWHP
FZR1000 168 mph 10.50@134.12 1/4 mile with 117.7 RWHP
GSXR-1100 161 mph 10.64@130.05 1/4 mile with 109.2 RWHP
CBR1000 153 mph 10.71@127.47 1/4 mile with 107.9 RWHP
V-Max 145 mph 10.66@127.47 1/4 mile with 110.6 RWHP

Don't ya just love technoligy.
Ding...ding...ding...we have a winna here!!!

Actually that was the pecking order in the early 90's...I kinda think that the tested ZX11 was a "ringer"...because my 90 FZR1K never lost a topend race to one...and I raced MANY BIKES topend and 1/4 back then....

I did get beat (once) by an 11 at the 1/4....both bikes were stock pipes/etc....he went 10.90@129...and I went 10.95@130...He out 60' me......

Dave

But Aaaaaaaaaaaah  boys you forgot the one that started the fast machines in the 80's if I remember right was the first production bike considered the fastest and that was the Honda V65 Magna......I owned one...  
cool.gif
Thanks. Here you go straight from the Guinness Book of World Records. Link

I still have two of these bikes.

Okay, there is NO FUGGING WAY a Magna will go 173 mph. I call bullshit. Also, the ZX10 came out in 88, so there's another error.

Okay, there is NO FUGGING WAY a Magna will go 173 mph. I call bullshit. Also, the ZX10 came out in 88, so there's another error.
Ok, well if you read, it says it has the profile to do 173, Not that it will, and actually in 1988 it was the zx1000, not the zx10 0f 1989 and 1990, But any ways I dont know what it was before 1989, but it definitly went 1989 zx10, 1990 zx10, and then late 1990 the zx11 came out and took over, and then was the zx 11 until the cbr1100xx blackbird then The Busa, and now most likely the ZX14 will take over untill the new Busa emerges in 2007.
eek2.gif
Like others said above the ZX12R held nothing, nor did the cbr1000 hurricane, the bikes mentioned above all held the fastest TOP SPEED not 1/4 mile times, there is a difference between quick and fast. quick is how you get there, fast is what your doin when you get there LOL

<!--EDIT|zx10rider4life
Reason for Edit: None given...|1144575249 -->

'84 Honda VF1000 broke in 10s with a 10.9sec at 125mph.

I owned and drag raced one for a few years...heavy as hell but really strong running, and modded for nitro too. Went 32k miles on it and beat the hell out of it the whole way. That's what you do when your 18.

Went up to a ZX10 then a ZX11 in '93...man that was like a whole new class of speed (after typical mods for draggin'). Then I sold my ZX to my buddy and got a 'Busa. The key to recognizing how fast it was is by comparison...at any time anywhere any road I could walk away from my old ZX11 just by twisting the wrist. My buddy had to downshift to try to keep up, and couldn't of course. That's how fast a 'Busa is...

lest not forget for the old timers there was GPZ900 and VFR1000 of the 83-85 era at the time they were pretty damn fast....

(zx10rider4life @ Apr. 09 2006,05:30) then The Busa, and now most likely the ZX14 will take over untill the new Busa emerges in 2007. :23: Like others said above the ZX12R held nothing, nor did the cbr1000 hurricane, the bikes mentioned above all held the fastest TOP SPEED not 1/4 mile times, there is a difference between quick and fast. quick is how you get there, fast is what your doin when you get there LOL
So how can you say the 14 will take over until the new Busa is released if this discussion is about "fastest" not "quickest".

The Busa will forever hold the "fastest" title since all production bikes are now limited to 186mph. Even so, SportRider derestricted both bikes and got 188.3 out of the 14 and 188.9 out of the Busa. 3/5th of a mile per hour isn't much, but it is what it is ... the Busa is still the "fastest".

You know I have to agree that the FZR 1000 has to be up there.I have a 94 and have topped it out at 170mph(it's only a 5 speed) and it felt very solid and stable at that speed.Honestly I haven't ever been "smoked" on it in(buy a stock bike)on a short run either.I am in the process of deciding if the .5sec. differance between the two is worth the extra $700 in insurance/year I pay for the busa.I also had a 1000 interceptor and it was no slouch either.In all honestly I think the "top speed wars" are a way to mask that 1/4 mile times haven't improved by more than 1 sec. in the past 10+ years.It sure has sold a lot of bikes though!!! Just my 2cents..enjoy.
cool.gif

FZR 1000 topped out at 158 mph, the newer ones with mods might see 170. Still not even close. Not flaming ya, but if you've never been smoked on it, you've never raced against someone that knew how to ride. Good bubby of mine had a 95 FZR 1k, back in the day, I had a ZX-10. I loved his bike, looked good and sounded mean with a D&D on it. FYI, 1 second in drag racing terms is a huge amount........

OK, here's one bike nobody has brought up yet. 83-84 Kawi GPZ 750 TURBO. I believe it was the first bike in the 10's (wouldn't swear by it). This bike made 112 bhp which was a ton back in those days.

No offense taken,just going by speedometer on the FZR as I would on the busa that I own also.I also know that they are inaccurate so I would agree 158mph is actual top speed.As far as being smoked on the street, to be a bike behind isn't being smoked.Yes, no doubt my busa is faster,300cc bigger motor+fuel injection etc.I guess my point is just recently have the 1000cc bikes gained less than a second on my old FZR.If you compare that to the performace gains say a 94 Corvette v.s. 06 Corvette(at least 2-3 seconds faster with same cubic inches) it just seems the bike manufactures are holding something back.They just seem to make a big deal of how much better,faster one year of bike is compared to the one the year before.Mostly its fluff to sell magizines.Thats why they make such a big deal over the ZX-14,and don't get me wrong it is quicker than the busa,but will or should you use that or notice on the street.I don't think so!Anyway I don't want to start an arguement like I said before,have a great day.PS I am a guy who knows a little about going fast,built a 468 blown big block chevy or two for my Z-28.

Not wanting to argue either, but I disagree about the manufacturers holding back. So many gains have been made in all around perfromance, not just acceleration, and the top speed wars from the factory are a thing of the past, handling, braking etc. Speaking of performance from displacement, look at the 600 class. They are well over 100hp now, close to the power of open classers 10-15 years ago. More power in a smaller, better handling package. A liter bike of the current class will absolutely destroy an FZR or ZX 10 of that era on the track........

Back