before the zx11 fastest bike?

I rode my '85 ninja 900 for 14 years and it is a scary bike above 125.  I thought all bikes were like that until I bought my '05.  I do think I got the ninja above 130-140 a couple of times though.  An 11.09 in the quarter, I don't think I got near that. But I did buy a gpz 550 in college because it looked like the ninja, sorta...

<!--EDIT|Lamb busa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1104733771 -->

Wasn't the gs1100 the first production bike to beat the 11 sec. 1/4 time? It had those funky plastic or leather or something stripes running across the base of the gas tank.

Wasn't the gs1100 the first production bike to beat the 11 sec. 1/4 time?  It had those funky plastic or leather or something stripes running across the base of the gas tank.

bdm.com

This is the Katana I'd love to own one day...well actually an '83 1100 which looks just like the '82 1000 above.
In the early 80's the GS1100 was the bench mark to what all bikes were compared to and I believe it dethroned the mighty inline 6 Honda CBX.

As far as being fastest, I guess it depends on what you mean by fast.  In bone stock form my little 497cc V twin Honda blows away the GS1100 in any roll on contest.  Of course off the line is a different story as well as top speed.

I'm still trying to figure out where the Honda V65 Magna fits in.  I believe it was listed as king for one year.

<!--EDIT|Turbo-Torch
Reason for Edit: None given...|1104815243 -->

i think it went zx10,zx11,blackbirdxx,then busa
What about the ZX-12R?
Yeah, as much as I hate to admit it
wink.gif
the ZX-12R was the king of speed for a while there. I'm thinking 1991-92 time frame.

What about the ZX-12R?
wink.gif
the ZX-12R was the king of speed for a while there. I'm thinking 1991-92 time frame.
Do you smoke a lot of crack?
The ZX-12 was never the king of speed, it never beat the Busa. It was introduced in 2000, so it would be quite an accomplishment for it to have been the fastest bike in 91-92, now wouldn't it? Even if you meant 01-02, they were limited to 186 starting in 01, just like the Busa, so the whole discussion becomes moot after that point.

What about the ZX-12R?
wink.gif
Do you smoke a lot of crack?
The ZX-12 was never the king of speed, it never beat the Busa. It was introduced in 2000, so it would be quite an accomplishment for it to have been the fastest bike in 91-92, now wouldn't it? Even if you meant 01-02, they were limited to 186 starting in 01, just like the Busa, so the whole discussion becomes moot after that point.
I will leave the crack to you but I was thinking incorrectly, I was thinking of the ZX-11. I have a cycle world magazine, quickest and fastest issue, dated September 1991 sitting on my lap. In it the results are:

ZX-11 176 mph 10.36@135.54 1/4 mile with 118 RWHP
FZR1000 168 mph 10.50@134.12 1/4 mile with 117.7 RWHP
GSXR-1100 161 mph 10.64@130.05 1/4 mile with 109.2 RWHP
CBR1000 153 mph 10.71@127.47 1/4 mile with 107.9 RWHP
V-Max 145 mph 10.66@127.47 1/4 mile with 110.6 RWHP

Don't ya just love technoligy.

<!--EDIT|Krieg
Reason for Edit: None given...|1117249537 -->

Wasn't the gs1100 the first production bike to beat the 11 sec. 1/4 time?  It had those funky plastic or leather or something stripes running across the base of the gas tank.

GS1000SV_Katana_1B.jpg

This is the Katana I'd love to own one day...well actually an '83 1100 which looks just like the '82 1000 above.
In the early 80's the GS1100 was the bench mark to what all bikes were compared to and I believe it dethroned the mighty inline 6 Honda CBX.

As far as being fastest, I guess it depends on what you mean by fast.  In bone stock form my little 497cc V twin Honda blows away the GS1100 in any roll on contest.  Of course off the line is a different story as well as top speed.

I'm still trying to figure out where the Honda V65 Magna fits in.  I believe it was listed as king for one year.
I drag raced a 1980 GS1100 with something like a 1360 Vance & Hines kit (I didn't buld the motor). Wish I had some pics! It was pretty fast, I'm thinking like low 9's if memory serves me right (with a slick and wheelie bar). I just can't remember all of the details, sorry.

Postal.

Was their not a bike by Triumph? with a nick name of the black widow, unsupercharged 750 that did 182 or 192 or something like that out of the box? maybe I misread it but for the life of me I cannot remember were I saw it? any triumph people here shed some light on it? this would be circa late 70's early 80's?
Do you mean the Vincent Black Shadow? Late 60's era bike, ran about 150, which was VERY fast back then!!

If my memory serves me correct, the '78 Honda CBX was the first production bike in the 10's and the first one over 100hp.

If my memory serves me correct, the '78 Honda CBX was the first production bike in the 10's and the first one over 100hp.
I believe the ZX-10 was the first production bike in the 10's, in 88. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure. Kaw was the king of speed for a long time, the 12 is the only bike they ever brought out that didn't dethrone the reigning champ convincingly. Some will still argue that it's faster than a Busa, but the earlier Kaw bikes left no doubt.

Before the kawasaki zx11,what was the fastest production bike?
The Dodge Tomahawk Motorcycle =400 mph
http://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/tomahawk.html

MTT Turbine Superbike =250 mph
http://www.motorcycleevents.com/news.php?cmd=detail&id=192
Okay, smart guy, neither one of these are A)Production bikes, the Dodge has four wheels, so it's questionable if it's even a bike, the Turbine bike is built to order, you can't just go to a dealer......or B)before the ZX-11, so what's your point?

Before the kawasaki zx11,what was the fastest production bike?
The Dodge Tomahawk Motorcycle =400 mph
http://www.allpar.com/cars/concepts/tomahawk.html

MTT Turbine Superbike =250 mph
http://www.motorcycleevents.com/news.php?cmd=detail&id=192
Okay, smart guy, neither one of these are A)Production bikes, the Dodge has four wheels, so it's questionable if it's even a bike, the Turbine bike is built to order, you can't just go to a dealer......or B)before the ZX-11, so what's your point?
In the germany magazine Supercars it is said that the Tomahawk is such a success that will be produced in Europe and in the United States.
The Turbine Superbike i don't know, but i know that Jay Leno has one.

"before the ZX-11,what was the fastest production bike?"
About that, i was trying to say that the ZX-11 is not the fastest to be a reference. I have a ZX-12, so I really know what i'm talking.

Back