before the zx11 fastest bike?

the Vmax?  wasn't it considered fastest something or other at one point?

from what i remeber seeing on show about fast bikes the honda blackbird XX was then the ZX 11 and of course then the BUSA came and is still fastest !
cool.gif

yeah according to the program on TLC it was the CBR1000 at 160 mph, then the ZX-11 trumped it with 170 mph and then of course our favourite machine with the 190+mph rating
cool.gif

The 88 GSXR1100 was magazine tested to 161....I saw it on my speedo...but that may not have been acurate. Before that ,the Ninja 900 went 151...And from what i remember....the ZX11 went 176...past the radar...my Busa went GPS'd 176 in fifth gear.....Ah yes good to be on the KING of Speed....even if i enjoy the monster midrange of the motor instead of all out speed....6k up....
tounge.gif

Yep Kawasaki had a grip for many years on the top speed crown...the 1000R in 86 (162 mph), ZX-10 in 88 (167 I believe) and the ZX-11 in 90 (176). The Blackbird barely beat out the ZX-11 for a year or so.......then along came the Busa and crushed everyone. And Kawasaki wanted that crown back soo bad they could taste it!...lol. They sold alotta bikes on that king of speed hype...I owned quite a few myself  
wink.gif

<!--EDIT|The Big Red One
Reason for Edit: None given...|1096198715 -->

I think b4 the ZX-11 it was the GSXR-1100 (10.4 in the 1/4, 172 on the top)

The VMAX being the fastest I think has always been a urban myth. Many people, not in the know, still think it's the fastest, which is saying a lot for a cruiser with a touring bike motor with ram air.

As for the ZX-10... well, Tom Cruise tried to race an F-14 with a ZX-10 in top gun, so maybe that's why it was percieved as the fastest?
rock.gif

Actually Tom Cruise rode a GPZ 900 Ninja in the movie. The 900 came out in 84, the 1000R in 86, and the ZX-10 in 88. The first year the V-Max came out the now defunct Cycle magazine (not to be confused with Cycle World
wink.gif
) had a worlds fastest streetbike shootout. The V-Max went the same top speed (151) and ran the same quarter mile time as the GSXR-1100. I have the article around the house somewhere. So in its first year the V-Max was tied for the fastest streetbike. Thats where the legend comes from. Of course thats was back in 83-4 I think....and the Max has not been changed much since then...but I hear its still kinda a hoot from light to light
tounge.gif

Actually Tom Cruise rode a GPZ 900 Ninja in the movie. The 900 came out in 84, the 1000R in 86, and the ZX-10 in 88. The first year the V-Max came out the now defunct Cycle magazine (not to be confused with Cycle World
wink.gif
 ) had a worlds fastest streetbike shootout. The V-Max went the same top speed (151) and ran the same quarter mile time as the GSXR-1100. I have the article around the house somewhere. So in its first year the V-Max was tied for the fastest streetbike. Thats where the legend comes from. Of course thats was back in 83-4 I think....and the Max has not been changed much since then...but I hear its still kinda a hoot from light to light  
tounge.gif
I've been schooled! Oh, the shame! Here is a pic of his '84 GPZ 900

kawa_1gr.jpg

WooHoo speed..I put 40,000 miles on my 85 900 Ninja in four years...Living in snow country...
I used to think to myself...It could have been pink with green spots...Just an awsome ride at the time...80-90 Sweepers...and i ran a 11.09 @ 121 mph with it..1/4 mile.. On Easter Sunday 1986..
i ran it past redline in sixth....and [sat up] OMG ! after chopping the throttle...never will do that again. Pretty cool my Busa ran 176 mph on the GPS in [5th] Before i had an 88 GSXR1100...i ran 10.76 @ 128 mph..soon to take the Busa to the strip... Ti Muzzy PcII with correct map, lowerd 3/4 inch..one tooth down on the front.. It's all good..
wow.gif

i think it went zx10,zx11,blackbirdxx,then busa
Yup, That's pretty much what I remember, I had to live bikes through magazines for most of these bikes so I remember pretty clearly... I mean hell I was didn't even have a drivers license yet when the 10 and 11 firs came out... too young...

Quote (The Big Red One @ Sep. 27 2004,04:37)
Actually Tom Cruise rode a GPZ 900 Ninja in the movie. The 900 came out in 84, the 1000R in 86, and the ZX-10 in 88. The first year the V-Max came out the now defunct Cycle magazine (not to be confused with Cycle World   ) had a worlds fastest streetbike shootout. The V-Max went the same top speed (151) and ran the same quarter mile time as the GSXR-1100. I have the article around the house somewhere. So in its first year the V-Max was tied for the fastest streetbike. Thats where the legend comes from. Of course thats was back in 83-4 I think....and the Max has not been changed much since then...but I hear its still kinda a hoot from light to light  

then epicrisis wrote:
I've been schooled!  Oh, the shame!  Here is a pic of his '84 GPZ 900
==============================================
lol....I'm an old school kawi man from way back.....although if I woulda known how fast Suzuks ran and how smooth they shifted, I woulda been on Suzuki's wayy sooner. My first bike was a Suzuki GT 185 two-stroke twin streetbike...excellent beginner bike...smooth...light but just enough power to keep you interested. Then I went through a bunch of two-stroke streetbikes...on up to the Kawasaki two-stroke triple 750....now THAT was an intimidating machine. Wayyyy too much power in a light, very flexy ill-handling frame with crappy squeeze-till-you-herniate brakes....god I miss that bike
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif
and believe it or not it redlined at 6500 or so rpms....VERY torquey for a two stroke.....you'd have to ride one to understand...lol. Then I started my 4 stroke period....over the years before I quit counting I owned 70 or so machines altogether...counting dirt, street, quads ect. I'd own 3-4 at a time...ride them for a bit.....a short bit usually...then sell them for something else. The most mileage I've ever put on a machine was my Seca Turbo (14000 miles) followed by my Ninja 1000R (9000 miles). Sad I know but the Busa's gonna change all that
wink.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
I just had to find "The One"
bowdown.gif

<!--EDIT|The Big Red One
Reason for Edit: None given...|1096878125 -->

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

tounge.gif

i think it went zx10,zx11,blackbirdxx,then busa
Yup, That's pretty much what I remember, I had to live bikes through magazines for most of these bikes so I remember pretty clearly... I mean hell I was didn't even have a drivers license yet when the 10 and 11 firs came out... too young...
That's the way I remember it,

ZX10 to 1990, then the ZX11 until 1996, the XX to 1999 . . .

Now the Suzuki Hayabusa is the fastest produstion motorcycle .

Back