Remember the ZX11?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OB_Jamie

Registered
It seems that most of you here have worked your way up from the last fastest motorcycle up to the Busa.

I have a question for the folks who owned ZX11s before or who own them now.

What modifications have you done to the ZX11?

This question is broad I know. I'm not only interseted in the engine/power modifications but the appearance and handling mods too.

When I bought my ZX a few years ago I'd planned on leaving it's engine stock and making the bike lighter. The bike lost the number 3 rod bearing though and during the repairs the whole thing snowballed.

I realize the best thing to do would be to sell the bike and get a new tech hyperbike but I kind like cheering for the underdog.

Which one of you made some big power numbers with this bike and how'd you do it?

Jamie '92 ZX11 (1200cc)

I believe brock has a very potent zx11 stashed away. 175rwhp I believe.

Here's a partial list of what I did to my ZX-11.

Falicon 4 mm stroked crank
Superbike Mike billet block, total displacement 1246
Counterbalancer removed
Ported head
Muzzy titanium pipe
41mm flatslides
Tranny set up by R&D
520 chain and sprockets
Technomagnesio wheels
Trac 4" over swingarm
Air shifter
Schnitz tie- down strap
Bike weight is 490 lbs.

The bike with the longer arm and 4 teeth SMALLER on the rear sprocket will still pull power wheelies at will in 2nd gear.

Never dynoed the bike but have beat a few that bragged about their high dyno numbers.

Have thought about buying a Busa or a ZX-12 but I would still have to do a lot of work to get to where I am now with my ZX-11. I have raced 2 Busa's and after the race was over all they could say was...

DAMN...THAT THING IS FAST.

There's still plenty of life left in that old ZX-11.

ZXFan,

Nice bike, I'm not that far yet, similar mods though.

Falicon 5 mm stroker crank
stock block with 78 mm (1109cc kit) pistons 12.1:1 compression
still have the balancer
Carry Andrew-Hypercycle ported head with backcut stock valves
Muzzy stainless pipe with Aluminum can and 2.5" core
42 mm Honda Blackbird CV carbs fitted to the ram air
Fast by Gast undercut transmission
Marchesini magnesium rims
fixed the flashing fuel lights (C model only)
190 Bt 56ss
KnN filter
Adjustable lowering links in the rear
carbon front brake lines
-3 teeth / 42 tooth rear sprocket
removed the smog pieces
installed a KZ900 battery -3lbs
and degreed cams
head studs
and a Mr Turbo oiling kit

I've been building another engine for the bike a 1298cc.
I have the engine torn down
I have the crank
the Web cams
a wide ratio trans
some custom internal pieces etc.
a used 50hp NOS kit
an RPM adj advancer
Ti retainers
cylinder studs

I need a SBM block +5mm kit
to get my stroker lightened
to put together a better head
some better rods
41mm Keihin flat slides
and some other secret stuff

I haven't weighed it yet but it made 155hp on a dyno at Pocono two years ago while it made 142hp on my local dyno. It now makes 150 on the local dyno. Does that mean it'd make 162 at Pocono?

E-mail me at (omegaltd1@yahoo.com) immediately. We need to ride, maybe tonight.

My buddy with his zx11 put in 2 over pistons under cut tranny............4 grand total in engine work. He also put an exhaust system as well. I raced him and absolutely killed him..........thank god he owns a busa as well or he would be crying. I did several roll ons and as recently as this sunday i raced him again, he said he got his cams dialed in..........Well im glad he got em dialed in cause by the time i slowed down he needed to dial long distance...............I was so far ahead of him............

Ive been thinking about getting an 11..

what kind of power do they make stock, with simple mods ie exhuast, jet kits, ect ect.. and what kinda of weight??? and ETs with mods if any one has them....and doesnt mind giving them out..

also what are the better years to purchase??

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Mr9R (edited 12 January 2000).]

I had a 90 ZX-11 that I sold before I got the Busa, but it was pretty much stock cept for Heli bars, revalved forks, WP custom shock and a few nicknacks. Great bike...glad she found a good home.

My friend has a 91 C model it ran 10.82 @ I think high 120's or low 130's bone totally stock. Cam's flatslides and pipe 10.30's @ 135-136 or so. This was at Kansas City International raceway. I think the D models 93 or newer are a little better looking with the dual ram air. Main thing on ZX11 are tranmission problems and oiling problems on #3 rod bearing. My 96 D4 has had neither problem. Engine is strong with a little work done to it, and plenty of speed parts to be found. Hard to beat the comfort of one especially with a corbin seat. Sell ya mine if ur interested in a very nice clean used one..

OK thanks for the info.. I wont have the cash to get one until summer is done, and if I make enough(which I suspect I will!) I am just gonna get a Busa! but for now I am just gonna continue have fun on my 95 9R. If I cant afford a Busa I am thinking a 98-99 9R or a ZX11... TIME WILL TELL!! but I want that Busa!

Mr. Turbo kit with:
1109 Wiseco's
Bob Wirth R&D port and polish
Megacycle cams
V&H pipe
extra large turbo
custom wastegate
V&H powerpak
MSD ignition
"5th" fuel injector
extra large ram air opening

Jamie;

If you got the Web Cam recently, it probably has an undersize base circle and you have to set the head up with longer valve stems to be able to use it. They have had to do this to keep the lobe on the rocker arm. The 11 has serious rocker arm problems and they can not be welded like the Suzukis.

When you go to have the stroker lightened, check out www.aperaceparts.com

Jay

Jay,
Yes I am aware of that. When Laurie set me up with the cams she told me they were the last set they were doing. She said it was just too expensive.
She sold me bigger shims that need fitted (machined) to the engine. They are heat treated to the core not just the surface. She also said that Kawi made a new rocker that seems to hold up to the cams better. I forget the part number but after I won the Kawi shop's dyno shoot out I used my 20% discount to buy the new rockers (and enough stuff to rebuild two engines, boy were they pissed, they don't offer that prize anymore). The new rockers are something like $35 each, as you know I needed 16 of them.
I intend to, when I build my better head, install the 20 thou. longer valves. I was gonna try the cams on my cleaned up head first to see if I gained anything then swap over to the big valve head. Mike from Mike's Extreme bikes (way over priced, know-it-all, a.s.shole) sunk his valves into the head to make the cams fit. That is cheap for sure but it seems to me that'd hurt the flow.
While I've got your ear, I'd like to put a serious head on this thing. It seems like Brock is running 28.5 and 33s? That seems like a good plan to me but a few of the shops I talked to only want to put a one mill over intake in there and leave the exhaust stock. Since I'm a bigger-is-better guy that doesn't sound like enough to me, I mean a Blackbird comes with a head like that stock and then there's the Busa. What do you recommend, keeping in mind the final 1298cc size?
Another question, I have a Concours engine here, for it's wide ratio trans. The problem is it's shaft drive. The input shaft will swap into the ZX but the output is different. The ZX is (I think) a 17 spline shaft and the Connie is a 15 or 16. Is there a 900 Ninja or ZX10 shaft that has the same spline count as the Connie that I can swap the gears onto instead of making up a new output shaft? Also on that engine too, (sorry) it has forked 4 lope cams with forked rockers instead of the ZX's 8 lopes. What cams are these? I was thinking if I couldn't make the ZX's OS cams work maybe I could get the Connie's cams reground and use the forked system since it has a bigger contact area.

If you answer all these questions, THANKS!!

Jamie
PS Are you hiring? What's your E mail?

Jamie;

We have not done too many ZX heads because it just is not popular for hop ups. I would have to check and see the max valve size we could get in one.The forked rocker cams would probably be the same setup as the 1000 Ninja.

Jay

I'm going to resurrect posting in this thread, bc I just scored a '97 ZX11 and need to put the engine back together.

I need to know what would be classified as a true problem with a crankshaft that had the oil starvation problem. I can post pics of the affected area but I know that with car parts, things can "look" alot worse than they really are.

I just want to make sure I don't spend ridiculous money on rebalancing, checking, blah blah blah when all the engine needed was some new bearings and a reassembly.

Jim

These guys are not on the board anymore...hope you are not waiting on them for a answer.

The thread is more than 9 years old :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back