Bearing Failure Ruins Bash Plans

Didnt that feeling of " Wow something doesnt feel right here let me double check" when there was no 1" spacer installed on the rear wheel?? That wheel had to be wobbling when it was up on stands for the excessive play.... Sad so sad some people take no pride or care when working on others motorcycles. Even entry level would ask someone to look at it, this right here is just a perfect excuse of "ahh screw it" and serious actions should be taken toweards this type of work ethic.

Well, if you insist on making more out of this than there is.... The wheel felt fine without the spacer and it looked pretty normal unless you knew exactly what you were looking for (which I do now, live and learn). The guy who was working on the bike is a pretty knowledgeable mechanic I actually talked to him about some other things while he was working on the bike. I always check the chain tension before riding and I also grab the wheel with two hands and yank it side to side. When I got the bike from the dealer I didn't check this, as they have been pretty good about their workmenship. If you leave the spacer off the wheel feels pretty normal until the bearings go, then you can definitely feel something. I did hear some grinding as I got home, but I wrongly figured it was the lose chain touching my hugger.

As I was rolling down the highway at 70 mph, I heard the grinding first, this was undoubtedly the bearing actually breaking. As I limped along at 20-30 mph, it obviously gave way completely and that's when the bike pitched sideways. If this happened at speed I think you would have some warning as the bearing started to fail. It would give you a few seconds to get the bike slowed down before all hell broke loose. But you would have to be paying close attention as the initial problems are pretty subtle.

I do alot of work on the bike myself, almost all of it. I don't do tires, and don't really want to. I like to take the bike in occasionally as I am not a certified mechanic either and there have been things this dealer caught that I didn't. For example, my front brake lines look fine but when they extended the forks completely (like in a wheelie) they noticed the lines were being stretched, so I'm getting +1 lines. Apparently the new forks extend further than the stock ones did (I actually checked this before when I installed the lines with stock forks as the front wheel was suspended). But hind-sight is 20/20. Who would check wheel bearings. there isn't even an interval for this in the maintenance routine. If you checked everything on the bike you would never ride it. However my big failing was when I heard grinding the first time when I was getting home from the dealer I should have chased the source down no matter how much of the bike I had to tear apart. The attached shows the spacer that was missing. This should have been obvious to me from visual inspection as I have had the rear tire off many times. So, this is a warning to me and now I've shared it with you all. Next tire change you might want to look at the bearings and make sure all is well. Also, always grab the wheel and yank it side to side as a part of your pre-ride check.

manual.jpg

i just changed my tire the other day and i always pull the spacers to clean around them and the bearing seal and i repack grease everywhere ..axle and all. but this time for some reason i put the spacers in the wheel on the wrong side...it felt wrong as the non lipped spacer was tight in the bearing seal and wouldnt turn by hand... so i whipped out the manual on the computer and searched till i got the right diagram and confirmed indeed i had flip flopped the spacers ..... so yes all of this is easy to do but so important to not forget

I do alot of work on the bike myself, almost all of it. I don't do tires, and don't really want to.

I used to do all of my tires by hand with spoons and a piece of carpet on the garage floor. This year I bought a pneumatic tire changer so I can do my own tires with ease. One of the big reasons I bought the machine was because of situations like yours and when I did take the rim off and take it to the dealer it would come back scratched.

I have enough friends and family around that I offered them a one time $100 buy in before I bought the machine. $100 got them lifetime tire on and off using the machine, they must bring said tire and rim to me......of course their buy in offset the cost of the machine big time.

Anyways again I am glad you are ok......that's the great thing about life so many times we are forwarded an oppurtunity to learn something. It's what you do with that oppurtunity that counts and it looks like you made good on your end.

Well, if you insist on making more out of this than there is.... The wheel felt fine without the spacer and it looked pretty normal unless you knew exactly what you were looking for (which I do now, live and learn). The guy who was working on the bike is a pretty knowledgeable mechanic I actually talked to him about some other things while he was working on the bike. I always check the chain tension before riding and I also grab the wheel with two hands and yank it side to side. When I got the bike from the dealer I didn't check this, as they have been pretty good about their workmenship. If you leave the spacer off the wheel feels pretty normal until the bearings go, then you can definitely feel something. I did hear some grinding as I got home, but I wrongly figured it was the lose chain touching my hugger.

As I was rolling down the highway at 70 mph, I heard the grinding first, this was undoubtedly the bearing actually breaking. As I limped along at 20-30 mph, it obviously gave way completely and that's when the bike pitched sideways. If this happened at speed I think you would have some warning as the bearing started to fail. It would give you a few seconds to get the bike slowed down before all hell broke loose. But you would have to be paying close attention as the initial problems are pretty subtle.

I do alot of work on the bike myself, almost all of it. I don't do tires, and don't really want to. I like to take the bike in occasionally as I am not a certified mechanic either and there have been things this dealer caught that I didn't. For example, my front brake lines look fine but when they extended the forks completely (like in a wheelie) they noticed the lines were being stretched, so I'm getting +1 lines. Apparently the new forks extend further than the stock ones did (I actually checked this before when I installed the lines with stock forks as the front wheel was suspended). But hind-sight is 20/20. Who would check wheel bearings. there isn't even an interval for this in the maintenance routine. If you checked everything on the bike you would never ride it. However my big failing was when I heard grinding the first time when I was getting home from the dealer I should have chased the source down no matter how much of the bike I had to tear apart. The attached shows the spacer that was missing. This should have been obvious to me from visual inspection as I have had the rear tire off many times. So, this is a warning to me and now I've shared it with you all. Next tire change you might want to look at the bearings and make sure all is well. Also, always grab the wheel and yank it side to side as a part of your pre-ride check.

Yes, I take this as a big deal and it really gets my goat when I hear stories like this.
I am not a certified mechanic either. I do all my work and have always done my own work ever since I was about 9 years old, and trust me I did do some stupid stuff and over looked many things when I was young (pre teens)
Sorry take it for what its worth.. Installing a wheel and NOT noticing the spacer is missing leaving a 1+"inch gap and then seeing that a bearing is going to be in contact with a staitonary piece doesnt raise some concern, when installing the axle nut he didnt notice the excessive amount of threads, then leaving the chain so loose? Yes some of us have bad days, but this is someone that should NOT be working on motorcycles let alone other peoples.
Just glad your OK Willie sucks your trip was not made. Each is to there own.

And this is why I never... ever... ever... ever... let anyone else work on my bike.

Glad it didn't turn into a disaster and do more damage or worse yet, get you hurt.

Stands, tools, and do it yourself my friend..:thumbsup:
Yep I never let ANYONE touch my bikes but me......I'm not letting some shop monkey end my life :no: :no: :no:

I remove my own wheels, have the tires put back on, thoroughly clean and grease everything to ensure it goes back together. Very easy to do and you know it is done right.

Ok i was trying to not say my piece here, But Willie if you don't think that this is a big deal you are wrong.
Other members here, may use the same shop, and clearly there lives are at risk also.
The mechanic leaving a spacer out is unacceptable period! He should not be working on motorcycle. If it was a car maybe, but not a bike.
There are very many strong opinions here on this site, and they are mostly focused at SAFTEY!
I hope the shop is at least paying for all the parts.
Take my comments how ever you like, but i have much much more to say about this!

THIS SHOULD HAVE NEVER HAPPENED, IF THE SPACERS WHERE CORRECTLY INSTALLED!
One short, one eaten beyond re-use. They definitely left one out. I'm replacing all bearings, spacers, and dust covers - about $200 in parts. There was so much debris in the wheel I would never use any of the bearings again.

Ok i was trying to not say my piece here, But Willie if you don't think that this is a big deal you are wrong.
Other members here, may use the same shop, and clearly there lives are at risk also.
The mechanic leaving a spacer out is unacceptable period! He should not be working on motorcycle. If it was a car maybe, but not a bike.
There are very many strong opinions here on this site, and they are mostly focused at SAFTEY!
I hope the shop is at least paying for all the parts.
Take my comments how ever you like, but i have much much more to say about this!

THIS SHOULD HAVE NEVER HAPPENED, IF THE SPACERS WHERE CORRECTLY INSTALLED!

I'm pretty sure it's the same shop I take my Busa to, which happens to be the ONLY shop that I've ever trusted to work on my baby and to change out tires...am I right Willie? We spoke of this shop in April, near me??

I hate that this happened to you, and I'm sorry I'm so late chiming in here, but I heard all about it from Omar over recents days and I'm just so glad nothing happened to YOU while riding. I'm sorry you missed the Bash, but we'll all be going in April, right? :thumbsup:

Willie,

I guess all I can say is, please don't let the shop off the hook. Truthfully, given their mistake, I would think that they wouldn't let themselves off the hook. I am one of those guys that I take anything to do with a scooter very personally; once I have put my hands on a bike, I feel like anything that happens afterwards is a little bit my fault, or at the very least a reflection of me and my work. Any shop should be the same, and if they aren't then I would NEVER take my bike back to them. I am very picky about people touching my bike... and the only shop that I trust made a mistake not too long ago... they denied it, until I showed them and I am here to tell you, that once they saw it was something that they had done, they bent over backwards to not only make it right, but make sure that there was nothing to make me feel like it wasn't thier number one priority!

How far is your ride home? how many mile's was it untill you heard the noise? With any one of the spacer's missing it will put a huge side load on the wheel bearing's. It will only take a few miles to destroy them. The axle is tourqued to 75 ft. lbs. That's alot of side load on a very small bearing. The dealer should be paying for the part's and kissing your azz. They left something out.

brother, i am glad to hear you are ok!! sorry you had to miss out on the the Bash as i know you were really looking forward to it...we'll try to make up for it in the Spring :beerchug:

Back