Lowering the Busa

DanMan1300R

Registered
For anyone who has been contemplating lowering their Bus, here is my $.02…

I am short, always have been, always will be. I got my Busa last year, a ’99 black/grey totally stock in mint condition. Rode it all through last season and loved every minute of it. The one problem was my heels didn’t touch. I didn’t consider this to be too much of any issue because it is a situation I am used to, and I have always been able to overcome any balance issues because I have pretty strong legs.

So I started thinking about dropping the Busa to make it more comfortable primarily when I am at a light or stopped on a hill, and probably read every post on this board about at least half-a-dozen times pertaining to lowering.  Then I was fortunate to meet a guy who lives, eats, sleeps, and breathes this bike.  I asked him what he thought about lowering it and he said without a doubt, do it. So I go through all the doubter questions with him (handling? performance? Etc.?) and he tells me do it and you will see.

So I follow this guys advice because it certainly seemed like he knew his sh*t and I drop it 2†in the rear with dog bones and ¾â€ in the front with a new triple-tree.

OMFG! It is like a new bike! I thought I felt confident on this thing before but now it is completely different.  And the funny thing is I didn’t even notice until a few guys I ride with approached me after we rode for the first time this season and said, “What happened over the winter?  â€¦You can man handle that thing nowâ€.  We went riding again and then I began to realize holy sh*t I it does feel different. I dropped it over the winter and hadn’t rode it in months so I didn’t notice the change right away.  I just cannot recommend doing the drop enough to the shorter riders out there.

Yes, my heels do touch now
Yes, the front wheels still comes up
No, I don’t feel the handling has been effected, if anything I handle the bike better because I am more confident on it, and the way I feel about this issue is if you have the sac to take a corner properly then a minor height adjustment like this doesn’t matter, just dip and throttle.

So there you go… agree / disagree I really don’t care because for me this was definitely the right thing to do.

-Dan

Dan ,

I am 6ft 225 . i just like how it looks lowered . how much did it run ya ? and will it suck for me taking into consideration my hieght and weight?

Glad it worked out for you, Dan! I've contemplated it myself and just haven't decided!

I lowered mine because

#1) drag racing
#2) absolutely love the look

I also have this problem, at 5'8" (30" inseam) I'm on my toes and have a hell of a time backing the bike up.  It's to the point where sometimes I've had to have the wife push on the front life to give me the momentum to get it back (how embarrassing).  My question is, why do you lower the back more than the front.  I guess my common sense says if you lower the rear 2", then you lower the front 2".

I do know I would love to have more foot on the pavement!

<!--EDIT|mzrsq
Reason for Edit: None given...|1083542233 -->

I'm 5'7" and have been considering lowering mine too.

Same question as last poster...why only 3/4" up front? Won't that ruin the stance and make the bike look like it's always going up hill?

Also what's the best way to lower the front without using those stupid straps?

I see there's a bar raiser/spacer available that I believe will allow the forks to slide up a certain amount depending on the model you buy. Is that about the best way to do this?

The risers are the least expensive way to lower the front, but an aftermarket triple tree would be (and is) my first choice).
Why lower the front less than the front?
rock.gif
??
In some cases people lower the front less to change the riding position on the bike to a more comfortable one. I believe changing it this way changes the handing of the bike a bit more drastically. Lowering them equally would be better in regards to handling.

The straps are more for track use, they are temporary. SOme people like they're on the street in the stock height.
I just bought all the lowering pieces I need to get the stance I believe I want.
1. Adjustable triple tree
2. Swingarm Extensions
3. Brake brace eliminator
4. Lowering links
5. Still need a longer chain though

2 & 3 are about appearance, 1 & 4 are the ones that will make a diff.
If anyone notices anything I missed for my lowering (parts wise) please let me know. I may have forgotten something.

Errrrrrr, should have added that I don't ride 'er this low on the street. In fact she's at stock height right now. Bought the lowerin' bones and strap for the drag strip. I would like to drop 'er about 1" out back and 3/4" to 1" up front for street ridin'. Just don't know where to get 1" lowerin' bones... I have some 3/4" spacers for the triple clamp cover but haven't installed them yet.

Mine is slammed I have it 1.25" in the front and 2 in the back. I like it, I do notice a difference between the handling in corners though, well maybe not the handling but the pegs are all over the ground alot more with it this low.

Mine is slammed I have it 1.25" in the front and 2 in the back.  I like it, I do notice a difference between the handling in corners though, well maybe not the handling but the pegs are all over the ground alot more with it this low.
Yeah.....I noticed the same thing....outside edge of my sole is actually scraped right off my shoe from touching in corners.....just makes for a more hair-raising ride!!!!

I wanna do this, but I only want to drop the rear with dog bones in the middle adjustment, is that 1.5"?
and yeh I hear that in the twists, the pegs hit sometimes. that sucks.

I wanna do this, but I only want to drop the rear with dog bones in the middle adjustment, is that 1.5"?
and yeh I hear that in the twists, the pegs hit sometimes.  that sucks.
I think most dog bones drop it around 1.5" in the middle hole. Got my bones from TheRotorWoman on ebay. Nice pieces and she's great to deal with. In the pic above I have it in the middle hole. Could go even lower in back. The front is bottomed completely out with the strap.
wink.gif

My Busa's been lowered 2" in the front and 2" in the rear...no handling issues for me at all...my husband gets the front up all of the time, so I think it's safe to say that's not adversely affected either!  He's 6'1", and loves the way it rides SINCE lowering it...

I'm 5'7", by the way...had to lower it or I just couldn't maneuver it well anymore.  I had a local performance shop do the work...cost me just under $200

Lowered bikes looks sweet!!! But, I am a bit biased!
tounge.gif

License_plate_mod2.JPG

Guys... I really want to lower my bike, but I am low on cash and just can't afford the $200 adjustable kickstand. Can you lower the bike any with the stock stand? If so, how much?

Anyone have any cheap alternatives to the $200 kickstand?

Cloud

Back