Lowering the Busa

atticdog- I currently reside in Holliston, MA but I actually just graduated from UMD last year and lived in your area the past 5yrs. Are you Marcio's buddy by any chance?

busabrother- I don't know how she acts with a passenger, I ride solo all the time. But my left and right ass cheek combine for a solid 210lbs and I have never bottomed out (if that helps at all) and I have done some high speed riding on some real shity, bumpy highways.  
As for bringing the front wheel up, YES she definetly still comes up with the 3/4"F, 2"R drop. She came up on me last weekend and I wasn't trying (without clutch play, just 2nd gear throttle and she popped right up).

Later  -Dan

I am 5'8" with a 30 inch inseam and weight about 175 pounds. When I bought my busa (my first sport bike but had close to 100,000 miles of riding), I asked the dealer head mechanic to take off the preload to lower it since riding on your toes I felt was dangerous expecially with the weight of the bike. He refused to do it--he was about 6'2" and about 240 lbs so it probably was right for him.

I started out to fix my height problem but started to find it is was improving my suspension problem (I was reading books, magazines and boards to educate myself) at the same time. With my weight, I had almost no sag (I could jump onto the seat and it did not move) so decreasing the preload (some front and more back along with the compression, and rebound adjustments). I also sit close to the tank so lowering the rear actually seem to give more weight balance between the front and back.

I need to define how I used the word "feedback" before continuing. Feedback is where the bike tells me through the chassis and bars how close I am to the edge where the tire lose traction, and what the bike is actually doing--no surprises. When I started out, the bike had almost zero feedback. Now, when I push it, the feedback allows my mind to easily calculate a percentage to the edge--Say on this line, speed and surface I am 75% to the edge. Now not only does the Busa have warp drive but it stops and turn well. Now the weakest link is my own riding skills which is improving a little each time I ride since the changes allows me to get instant feedback and in a safe fun-for-me manner.

Where are my setting and mods now (note: I am still changing a little even now)? I have not counted click in a quite awhile so I do not know exact numbers. I started out with the settings published in an old Performance Bike (PB) magazine. Then... Front: I have lowered the front preload all the way. Cranked up the rebound (I believe I need more so I am thinking changing to a higher viscosity fork oil or Ohlins). Have lowered the compression. Rear: Have lower the preload in about 10 changes to about 4 threads showing. Added about 6 clicks of rebound--last three clicks seem to give it a more solid and stable feel--probably with add another click or two. Compression is real close to the PB setting. I am still not happy but it is so much better. With my limit sportbike experience, it now feels like a sportbike should feel.

I did some other mods. I took off about 50 pounds: BST Carbon Wheels, Front and Rear Wave Rotors, Titanium Rotor Bolts, Akrapovic Full Race Exhaust, Pair Valve Mod, Bar Ends. The difference is even noticed when moving the bike around in the garage.

I am current thinking about Ohlins forks and rear shocks. If I knew it would improve or fix the rest, I would do it.

No one has to agree with me...I am just documenting my own limited experience. Right or wron, the bike brakes and turns so much better. Riding is more enjoyable and I feel much safer.

Eclectic you wrote a lot of "mumbo jumbo" Where are all the pics!!!
laugh.gif
We dont read lots of words well here..... ugh ugh!!
biggrin.gif

Mine's dropped as well ..... LOVE IT!!!!! I think your feet sitting flat on the ground adds to your overall confidence and security. Which translates into more confidence and security when it rolling. Confidence makes you a better rider!
cool.gif

I helpin a female rider who has a lowered and streatched Gixxer750. The rear plate has been pretty much eatin alive. VAbusa thanks for the fix!

ICE

Back