zzz chain stretch?

lowandslow08

Registered
Has anyone had trouble with an EK ZZZ chain? Today I put on my longer chain (9inches over) and set the boost controller to run 11lbs in every gear +4lb spring. The chain was adjusted between 1/4 and 1/2 inch of play and within 15 minutes it made a bad sound when I switched from second to third gear so I pulled over and checked it out. The front sprocket was missing a tooth and the chain had around 4 inches of play in it. I used the chain for about a month last year at 4 lbs of boost and it didn't stretch much at all.

I will take a picture of it, it had about 1000 miles on it and quite a few 1/4 mile passes so I figured all the stretching was already finished. It didn't make it 10 miles today before it broke the new front sprocket and stretched the chain. I was riding it hard but did not expect that to happen.

My new sprocket:oops::oops:

chain 012.jpg

chain 013.jpg

chain 014.jpg

chain 015.jpg

chain 016.jpg

almost sounds like the chain was sitting on the sprocket and not in it, but you would have noticed that right away :dunno: Is the rear adjuster in the same place you set it?

Chain won't stretch that much.

That is the first thing I checked and the adjusters did not move. I'm planning on running 19-45 sprockets instead of 18-42 and run the chain a bit tighter than before.

I have never heard of an ZZZ stretching that much. Mine stretched about 1/2'' and then never moved....but I was running a stock motor :dunno:

I did,years ago.:moon:
Went through 2 chains in short order! Was the tuners reccomended chain. They seem to be hit or miss,alot of others were having issues at the time also.
Switched back to D.I.D.and have had no such issues.I had used the D.I.D. chain prior to switching to the zzz(normally asp.).
This is on a mild turbo set-up,and I wanted the best chain.
Turns out I was using it all along,there is plenty to be said for advertising hype. I am still using the same D.I.D. I switched back to now.Prob. 10,000 miles later.Probably did 2-3 small adjustments since.:beerchug:

I did,years ago.:moon:
Went through 2 chains in short order! Was the tuners reccomended chain. They seem to be hit or miss,alot of others were having issues at the time also.

Same here. I will never use another EK ZZZ. Last two I had stretched quick and had tight and loose spots really bad; rendering it impossible to adjust the chain within spec within about 10-12k miles. The stock RK chain got 33.5k and was still in spec.

Stock bike pretty much.

The older ek chains were awsome with high power bikes. The ones I got last year sucked. Stretched real fast. The ones I've used so far this year stretched quickly for the first 4-500 miles and then seem to be normal after that. In my opinion if your over 350whp you should consider somthing else. Anything less they seem to be hanging in there pretty good again, specially under 280whp.

I have ran a few before this one without any issues but this time its making more than double the hp. Who makes a better chain than the zzz for street and strip use?

Well I just installed my new EKZZZ530 with new 2CT's put 190 miles of stress testing on it yesterday with 0 stretch and I had it tight.

Almost sounds like the adjusters moved on you with that much stretch. :dunno:

I never got mine to last much over a few weeks
I went to a drz2 and just learned to keep it clean and oiled
but im track only now

Hmmm just installed my ZZZ chain today, set it tight expecting some stretch.

it really doesnt stretch much... 4000+ miles on mine and i have never adjusted it. 4000 miles also includes being dyno'd in that time

i check my chain tension regularly :beerchug:

it really doesnt stretch much... 4000+ miles on mine and i have never adjusted it. 4000 miles also includes being dyno'd in that time

i check my chain tension regularly :beerchug:

So, what we've learned in this thread. Some ZZZ's stretch terribly. Some don't. And some do for the first XX miles. Nothing like manufacturing consistency :laugh:

My last ZZZ needed it's first adjustment at 1500ish miles. By 12k it had stretched spots that rendered it impossible to adjust and keep both the loose and tight spots in spec.

Will a dzr2 hold up with street and strip use if its maintained constantly? The zzz worked great at just over 200hp but now its not working so well. I really don't want to be constantly buying chains.

I got descent mileage out of my first one
Im building for prostreet now and that is their chain of choice

Back