Youth helmets

PDBusa

who, me?
Donating Member
Registered
What I am looking for is the absolute best(obviously) full face youth lid for my 10 year old daughter. She will be wearing it short term until her head fills with enough knowledge to fit the wifes lid. Luckily females heads don't change in size that much from additional knowledge...
tounge.gif

wow.gif
 I am kidding ladies, put down the flame throwers!
biggrin.gif

The lid will be cast aside when she out grows it until son grows into it. He's 4 and has been telling me he's getting a dirt bike,quad,snowmobile, etc.,etc.,etc....  
1zhelp.gif

I have found some youth lids made by AFX which are reasonably priced, DOT, but NOT Snell certified. There are also some Scorpion lids that are DOT/Snell available at a higher, but still reasonable price.

What is the actual increase in standards for Snell certification? I used search button, didn't have much luck. Is there a website someone can point me to?

I absolutely want the best possible protection for my kids but don't want to spend the $$ for the replacement after the first time it hits the floor from an "oops, it slipped" drop.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Charlie

Charlie, no matter what helmet you decide on IMOP you will be replacing that helmet prior to your son being old enough to use it regularly.... As helmets tend to have a usable life cycle! Due to things you can't control, like UV rays, Temp/humidity, and finally Time. I remember an ad from the 80's that went something like this; "IF you have a $10 head, then buy a $10 helmet!"
Not saying you can't find a decent helmet for a fair amount of money, just don't like to cut corners on the important things in life!
wink.gif

Now about that article, you should find some interesting reading on that subject here.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcy....faq.htm
http://www.smf.org/articles/dot.html

Hey Bug, thanks !!!
super.gif

There's enough info. there to digest to get me past Christmas and just about to her Birthday in Feb.!
biggrin.gif

On a much sadder note... I only got one reply. (though it was exactly what I was looking for)

I'm just not feeling the love here anymore...
sad.gif

down.gif

jump9.gif

jump9.gif

at least it sounded funny when I typed it.

<!--EDIT|PDBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1133644814 -->

jump9.gif

Just a couple of points,

The Snell standard is not neccesarily "better". A good fitting DOT helmet will work fine. Notice I said good fitting. That is important.

Any drop can damage the helmet to the point of junk. Teach 'em to be careful handeling it, and store it in a safe location.

After 5 years, they should be replaced anyway.

With that all said, Newenough has a good sale on HJC lids. The smaller sizes might be a good fit.

And I needed some time to get to this post
laugh.gif

Most less expensive lids out there are private label Hong Jin Corp. Lids. The easy way to tell is look inside the helmet for the Hong Jin label

Glad I could help a fellow Org member out! Looking forward to the spring bash!

ive got dirt bike lids for my kids they use on the dirt and my oldest son fits my wifes helmet hes 12 w/ big head so i dont have much useful info for ya ! still workin on the wife about the BUSA BASH ! she is warmin up to the idea !!! so i should be able to make it . dont let her know it is on the calander at work already !!!!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
so thats not in the way !!!

biggrin.gif

HJC AC-11 is what I bought for my daughters. They have interchangeable linings inside for different sizes. She wears a Xsmall and is 13 yrs old. I think its a nice helmet and has great graphics and is finished well. Dont forget the leather jacket, ICON makes a nice one that she has called the KITTY. It would probally be good to let her try different helmets on to see whitch one fits the best. Good luck on your search.

Back