You're the Man !

c10

Registered
That was the comment made to me today . Left the office , and took a different route home than usual . Came to the major fwy exchange light just before making a right to enter the on ramp . I saw a homeless man sitting there with his cart full of stuff half way organized. Rarely do I give money , but food from my lunch box often .
I blew the horn several times , and he keyed in on me . About that time the Ambulance next to me pulls up . The passenger EMT gives me a WTF look while I roll my window down for the homeless man . EMT rolls his down looking at me like I'm a nut case . Just then the man comes to me , and handed him $5 on top of my healthy snack pack of Almonds , cheese , cranberry's. He was overjoyed by the FOOD . Yelled out You're The MAN nicely . You would almost think it was a winning lotto ticket .
I saw zero concern for the five dollar bill .
The EMT's now went from the wtf look to a smile . Just imagine the high lite of your day is a 200 calorie snack pack . That is pretty rough my friends .
There is not much in the way of stores where we were located . So willing to bet that may of been all he had to eat today .
I'm very thankful for my warm bed tonight :) Makes everything seem trivial .

Def brought some tears to my eyes. It’s moments like that which make such a difference in people’s lives. I mean imagine how they gentleman felt, not only for the food and the money but the fact that you stopped and cared to extend a hand. We are all in this thing called life together and more often than not people forget that. I concur with his synopsis, Bryan you are the man!

Def brought some tears to my eyes. It’s moments like that which make such a difference in people’s lives. I mean imagine how they gentleman felt, not only for the food and the money but the fact that you stopped and cared to extend a hand. We are all in this thing called life together and more often than not people forget that. I concur with his synopsis, Bryan you are the man!
Yes but on other hand have seen beggars in NY that are not homeless and commute in & do this as a job & make more than you and me a week tax free.

Did ICE runs in Philly for years. Go to lunch different place each time. Saw an older guy begging on sidewalk. I nodded at him when passing but gave him nothing. My partner committed & i said he is to clean something is off. We entered sandwich shop then ordered/sat at window. He had a well cared for trained bulldog wearing an American flag bandana around the neck. The dog sat on the opposite side of sidewalk on a ledge & didn't move just looked at passers. We ate & watched. He talked up the ladies big he was friendly while sitting against a mail box. Guys not so much effort kindness. 30min all women $5 here $10 there $15 on & on few dollars from men he cleared $80 or so in that time. Saw him pull out a wad of rolled up $ check the size then shove it back in to a pocket. He had a cell phone that rang think it was his daughter. He quickly answered said a bit hung up and hid the phone in his pocket. He was a black man & what tipped me was his hair was long but picked out very well his skin was clean like it was all an act he put on for work. My partner then understood and i told him that guy makes more than we do; when is the last time you made $160 to $180 an hour. He targets lunch breaks probably 4hrs a day making a weeks pay the drives to his home in suburbs.

Positive seen man clearly homeless in front of Chinese restaurant begging. A business man greeted him by name would not give him $ but took him by the shoulder inside & had him order lunch. That man met him there every day to make sure he ate something. I was in awe to see that kind of compassion & caring.

Did ICE runs in Philly for years. Go to lunch different place each time. Saw an older guy begging on sidewalk. I nodded at him when passing but gave him nothing. My partner committed & i said he is to clean something is off. We entered sandwich shop then ordered/sat at window. He had a well cared for trained bulldog wearing an American flag bandana around the neck. The dog sat on the opposite side of sidewalk on a ledge & didn't move just looked at passers. We ate & watched. He talked up the ladies big he was friendly while sitting against a mail box. Guys not so much effort kindness. 30min all women $5 here $10 there $15 on & on few dollars from men he cleared $80 or so in that time. Saw him pull out a wad of rolled up $ check the size then shove it back in to a pocket. He had a cell phone that rang think it was his daughter. He quickly answered said a bit hung up and hid the phone in his pocket. He was a black man & what tipped me was his hair was long but picked out very well his skin was clean like it was all an act he put on for work. My partner then understood and i told him that guy makes more than we do; when is the last time you made $160 to $180 an hour. He targets lunch breaks probably 4hrs a day making a weeks pay the drives to his home in suburbs.
yup.... the scam is strong... When i was younger we used to give the bums 10 bucks to buy us alcohol... big business for underage drinkin… but we never complained, thank god for that bum... at the time. EVERY DAY before i went to school.... I had to hit up the guy to get me smokes also, I was 14 or 15.. we had a mutually beneficial relationship... at the time... Marlboros were 3.40 a pack.... a pack for a pack was the deal...

Last edited:
I was driving to work one day and reached an intersection where a gentleman in his early 50s was holding a sign that said "HOMELESS PLEASE HELP." He was dressed in regular clothes, not dirty etc. A few people held out dollar bills out of the window. When the light turned green he turned around and started walking to the median not to get run over. I guess he needed something to pass the time until the light turned red again while he waited so he reached into his back pocket and took out his Gold Iphone 7-8-9-10 whatever it was plus with a nice case. If he was homeless he sure could afford a nicer phone than I.

I was driving home from work and a guy in his 40s or so approaches me while I pull up to a gas station to pump fuel. He is dressed in a suit. He goes "Hey man, I just left the office and I forgot my wallet, you think you can help me out? I'm so embarrassed but my bimmer is low on fuel and I just want to be able to get home." I said sure man no problem, which pump are you and ill throw $10 on it when I go pay for mine. He says "I'm actually on pump 6 and points to a black BMW so I said sure let me go and pay. He immediately stops me and says "Can you give me the cash instead and I'll go inside, I don't want to bother you." I said nah I'm going to pay by card and will just put $10 on your pump also. He turns to me and says "Forget about it, Im good I don't need it." I see him walk away and start walking to someone else at the gas station. A woman exists the gas station gets in the BMW and drives away. The bmw was not his.

I really think if you're going to help 'homeless' beggars on the street you just gotta go by your instinctive and gut feeling before you part with money.
The true litnus test is to offer food, that will separate the sheep from the wolves!

Reactions: c10
You are the man @c10 not only for this but many other acts we've seen from you. Growing up in Detroit I've seen many a con man work the homeless angle and I've seen many who need the help not get it because of that and that's a shame. But at the end of the day if you give your the one who will relieve the food karma back and if they are just looking for easy money it'll eventually catch up to them.

I have a cousin that was stationed in Japan and brought back a video of this Japanese guy that sat outside the base he used to give money to all the time when he first arrived. After several months one of his friends too him downtown and showed him three different business (i believe all were restaurants) the guy owned. He obviously had no need for money just found it entertaining to sit outside the base drinking and acting a fool and see how much money he could get from the soldiers.

I was driving to work one day and reached an intersection where a gentleman in his early 50s was holding a sign that said "HOMELESS PLEASE HELP." He was dressed in regular clothes, not dirty etc. A few people held out dollar bills out of the window. When the light turned green he turned around and started walking to the median not to get run over. I guess he needed something to pass the time until the light turned red again while he waited so he reached into his back pocket and took out his Gold Iphone 7-8-9-10 whatever it was plus with a nice case. If he was homeless he sure could afford a nicer phone than I.

I was driving home from work and a guy in his 40s or so approaches me while I pull up to a gas station to pump fuel. He is dressed in a suit. He goes "Hey man, I just left the office and I forgot my wallet, you think you can help me out? I'm so embarrassed but my bimmer is low on fuel and I just want to be able to get home." I said sure man no problem, which pump are you and ill throw $10 on it when I go pay for mine. He says "I'm actually on pump 6 and points to a black BMW so I said sure let me go and pay. He immediately stops me and says "Can you give me the cash instead and I'll go inside, I don't want to bother you." I said nah I'm going to pay by card and will just put $10 on your pump also. He turns to me and says "Forget about it, Im good I don't need it." I see him walk away and start walking to someone else at the gas station. A woman exists the gas station gets in the BMW and drives away. The bmw was not his.
My thought was if the have a phone they not only were able to buy it but have enough $ for monthly payments & they don't mail the bill to a street corner. They have a residents or someone they stay with.

My thought was if the have a phone they not only were able to buy it but have enough $ for monthly payments & they don't mail the bill to a street corner. They have a residents or someone they stay with.
people wanna think they are doing the right thing...… there are sooooooo many social programs for these folks it is mend bending.

my grandmother said that a lot.... I now understand its a bastardization of a biblical verse.

Although the saying "God helps those who help themselves" sounds pious and spiritual, it is not in the Bible. Its earliest appearance (around 620-564 B.C.) seems to be from one of Aesop's fables—Hercules and the Waggoner.

Back