Your Thoughts This Tie Down Method

HayaWakened

Donating Member
Registered
Never done this before
This way until the Baxley front chock arrives...
Zero fork compression
Zero plastic rub anywhere

Thoughts opinions welcome
IMG_5175.JPEG

IMG_5174.JPEG

IMG_5173.JPEG

IMG_5168.JPEG

IMG_5172.JPEG

Right now, you have the bike strapped near its center axis and the straps are diagonal. The top could still tip, the bottom could still slide sideways. The bike hangs precariously off center if this happens.

The straps around the frame will help prevent it from skipping left or right but if it does, the bike will tilt. If it tilts too far, the straps on the fork tubes should hold it up but I'd rather take steps to avoid the possibility the tire(s) could get of center. A 2x4 that can't move on either side of the tires should do it. You might lay the 2x4s in place front to back and then screw a side to side to side 2x4 over both in back and in front. The side to sides wedge against the interior walls of the van and prevent the front to back 2x4s from moving sideways.

Careful about the straps on the muffler hangers, they could bend the hooks they wrap around. I don't think you need those if you use the 2x4 idea. You wouldn't really need the frame straps either, those might mar the frame.

Canyon Dancers on the handlebars are very stable and if you strap them horizontally instead of down to the floor, they won't compress the forks. They will also prevent the top from tipping either direction. I have used Canyon Dancers and they work....but I had them backed up with the Pit Bull Trailer Restraint.

Do not underestimate a bump or dip in the road at low speed.

I'd go with a Condor over a Baxley but neither one will keep the rear wheel centered. The Baxley looks just fine but I've heard mixed reviews.

Consider renting the U-Hual motorcycle trailer. Probably get it for $60 if you return to the location you picked it up. It is really easy to get the bike up the ramp. You can trust me on that, one guy can do it. Park down a slight decline and it's a piece of cake. The 2x4 idea would work with the U-Haul trailer. The Canyon Dancers work perfectly as the handlebars are the same hight as the side rails on the trailer. If you feel you need the side straps, there's plenty of D-rings along the edges of the floor. The trailer has a wheel chock built in---won't hold the bike up but will keep the front tire straight.

Pics of trailer here:

I'm no slouch but I'm far from Arnold Schwarzenegger. It's easier than the video makes it look. You don't need to run, just a brisk walk, empty fuel tank.

Last edited:
Right now, you have the bike strapped near its center axis and the straps are diagonal. The top could still tip, the bottom could still slide sideways. The bike hangs precariously off center if this happens.

The straps around the frame will help prevent it from skipping left or right but if it does, the bike will tilt. If it tilts too far, the straps on the fork tubes should hold it up but I'd rather take steps to avoid the possibility the tire(s) could get of center. A 2x4 that can't move on either side of the tires should do it. You might lay the 2x4s in place front to back and then screw a side to side to side 2x4 over both in back and in front. The side to sides wedge against the interior walls of the van and prevent the front to back 2x4s from moving sideways.

Careful about the straps on the muffler hangers, they could bend the hooks they wrap around. I don't think you need those if you use the 2x4 idea. You wouldn't really need the frame straps either, those might mar the frame.

Canyon Dancers on the handlebars are very stable and if you strap them horizontally instead of down to the floor, they won't compress the forks. They will also prevent the top from tipping either direction. I have used Canyon Dancers and they work....but I had them backed up with the Pit Bull Trailer Restraint.

Do not underestimate a bump or dip in the road at low speed.

I'd go with a Condor over a Baxley but neither one will keep the rear wheel centered. The Baxley looks just fine but I've heard mixed reviews.

Consider renting the U-Hual motorcycle trailer. Probably get it for $60 if you return to the location you picked it up. It is really easy to get the bike up the ramp. You can trust me on that, one guy can do it. Park down a slight decline and it's a piece of cake. The 2x4 idea would work with the U-Haul trailer. The Canyon Dancers work perfectly as the handlebars are the same hight as the side rails on the trailer. If you feel you need the side straps, there's plenty of D-rings along the edges of the floor. The trailer has a wheel chock built in---won't hold the bike up but will keep the front tire straight.

Pics of trailer here:

I'm no slouch but I'm far from Arnold Schwarzenegger. It's easier than the video makes it look. You don't need to run, just a brisk walk, empty fuel tank.
2X4's ... brilliant and cheap. Thanks

HW, Way overkill, I used to tie my bikes down with a multitude of straps going to the TT. my mate,who had been doing it for years, pissed himself laughing. He showed me how he does it. And so....
Here's how I've been doing it since'06. Wheel bike against the van wall, put a piece of carpet,quilt etc between van wall and bike. One strap from the outer riders footpeg to the top left high up, and one strap from the same footpeg to the top right high up . Done in a minute and never a problem. Watched other road racers load their vans the exact same way . The bike is well secured, leaning into the van wall, and pulled up/left/right at the same time. Obviously don't go Hulk tihtening the straps, it's not neccesary.

better safe than sorry. But I do love sausages .
Me too , And I always thought the same , But if you think about it, there's nowhere for the bike to go if done my way. Leaning against the van wall, pulled up against it's own weight and pulled front and back at the same time . Works like a charm.

I’ve always used a Canyon Dancer too and straps for the rear. Transported my Ducati 1,100 miles from Montana to San Jose over the Donner summit. After the initial strapping I would lay across the bike to compress the springs a bit and then retighten the straps. This allowed for the suspension to still work over dips and bumps in the road while keeping the bike stable.

2X4's ... brilliant and cheap. Thanks
It was an idea I got from someone here...think it was @michael parris heuberger. Never tried it but after my experience with my setup, I think it would work fine. Just be very careful when you turn at an intersection. If there's a dip in the pavement, it can create quite a jar even going slow. I'd just creep if you see anything like that.

Four eight foot 2x4s are probably only about a hundred bucks right now! :laugh: :confused:

I vote Canyon Dancers hooked horizontally, strap the front wheel forward, the rear wheel backward. If you have places to hook the straps to do that, you don't even need the 2x4s. Check the Canyon dancers every so often especially after you first embark. Even if they loosen a little, the bike won't fall, it will tilt a little bit but it's hanging from the top under its own weight---top can't fall, bike can't fall. Stop and ratchet them a few clicks and proceed.

Get the new design of Canyon Dancers. Different shaped cup I think. They come in two lengths. The shorter strap is what I got and probably going to work best as you will also have a length of ratchet strap to fit between the hook on the Canyon Dancer and the hook on the wall.

I like that strapping the bike against the wall idea but I'd want a bed matress or something like that for padding. I'd still use Canyon Dancers. You strap on the top of the bike to point level or higher, the top can't fall. You strap low, the top can still tip over whatever height you strapped at.

Last edited:
Way overkill ... Here's how I've been doing it since'06.
Wow, I did not expect overkill. Thought it would trend the other way...
Trial running Leaning Wall config tomorrow. If it's good enough for the TT ...

Ordered, but won't be here in time for the run.

I’ve always used a Canyon Dancer too and straps for the rear.
Ordered online - none of the local shops have one in stock.

Four eight foot 2x4s are probably only about a hundred bucks right now! :laugh: :confused:

I vote Canyon Dancers hooked horizontally

Get the new design of Canyon Dancers

I like that strapping the bike against the wall idea but I'd want a bed matress or something like that for padding. I'd still use Canyon Dancers. You strap on the top of the bike to point level or higher, the top can't fall. You strap low, the top can still tip over whatever height you strapped at.
2x4's are $8 ea. Building a set of rails would be ideal but need to consider loading reqs on a couple other bikes as well (V-Strom and a GSXR 1000). Gonna play with this. Maybe a single rail up against the inside wheel line + Leaning Wall. TBD

Mattress: I got a bunch of those rubber interlocking gym floor tiles

I'm okay with overkill, except for the time needed to offload the bike.

Thanks to all.
Prepping for first track day at Buttonwillow later this month.

I'm with @Mythos on this. Someone on here broke their triple clamp with the canyon dancer strap. I think the PitBull rear stand is tops and no pressure on the forks. Yes, you might get away with it but if you don't a busted fork seal will ruin a vacation. Before I got my Pitbulls, I put a threaded rod through the axle and used two car racks to support them. Then strapped down the swingarm so there was no pressure on the suspension. Looked trailer park but worked great with stuff lying around the garage.

I'm with @Mythos on this. Someone on here broke their triple clamp with the canyon dancer strap. I think the PitBull rear stand is tops and no pressure on the forks. Yes, you might get away with it but if you don't a busted fork seal will ruin a vacation. Before I got my Pitbulls, I put a threaded rod through the axle and used two car racks to support them. Then strapped down the swingarm so there was no pressure on the suspension. Looked trailer park but worked great with stuff lying around the garage.
Hi. I had a sprinter van I could put 5 bike in it and another 6 on a trailer. all you have to do is stop the bike from falling side to side and from going forward or backward I use 4 straps in front and 4 in back, straps do brake. Also use good ones not the cheep ones. DO NOT use the handlebars on an HD or cruiser to strap it down, use the triple trees. I have many different trucks and trailers up to tri axle 52 footer. As for trucks Fords and Dodges did not two as well as the Chevys and the best the Freightliner FL70 I had. I have driven over 2, 2,5000,000 miles as a driver not all of them towing motorcycles I also transported exortic cars. I also did general freight and oversize loads. One we had me pulling and one truck one pushing, one was 240 ft long and over 500000lbs.

Hi. I had a sprinter van I could put 5 bike in it and another 6 on a trailer. all you have to do is stop the bike from falling side to side and from going forward or backward I use 4 straps in front and 4 in back. DO NOT use the handlebars on an HD or a cruiser to strap it down.

Back