Your job?

I actually worked with a guy one time when I made the sarcastic comment of "all we need now is some paint" the guy actually responded.."what needs painted?"

Ahhhh, the AS-400 makes an excellent foot rest :whistle: We're finally migrating off of ours and I can't wait to take a swing at that beast with a bat!

I agree, I kind of like the rush of being a part of so much, but then there are days when watching paint dry sounds really really nice. My brain needs a break!!! I'm starting to wonder just what my job really has morphed in to. Jack of all, expert in none :laugh:

I fix them as well
Aircraft Maintenance Manager
A&P w/IA / Avionics Tech
Military contract overseas
King Air 350's

I am also an A&P. Used to have an aircraft restoration company. Restored everything from a Staggerwing, AT-6s, Stearmans, a PBY and many others.
Troy

I own a small Grading/Asphalt Paving/Concrete construction company in Southern California. Started it 20 years ago. My son is taking it over (he's my retirement plan) and I'm enjoying driving the haul truck and handling sales with my customers. I want to get a license plate carrier for my Busa that says "My Other Ride is a Peterbilt". It was a disaster from '08 through '12 but it's getting a whole lot better now.

Radio Technician, mostly public safety. Also DJ most weekends during Wedding season, subcontract to a few local companies.

Yep. I break em, you fixem! Actually it is a bus...it pretty much breaks itself! A319/320/321s for a major US Airline. Sure as hell beats working for a livin.

I'm the guy that makes the tooling that makes the parts that break. Not our fault designers are goofballls!
Not that I would actually Work for a living but the pay is good.

Never had a big desire to go to school so after a few years of contruction, truck driving and forklift jobs I headed out to Wyoming (from MN ) to break into oilfield drilling. ( my best friend was on the run and awol hiding out with an alias in Rawlins WY and telling me no state income tax... who hoo! ) Let me tell you, its work! Wrestling with heavy iron, climbing around like a monkey, swinging 16 lb sledgehammers. After running all those stairs and packing 100lb sacks. You develop a healthy respect for the energy locked up under the earths surface and pull some grueling long and frigid shifts in winds that you wish you never knew! My family was right... go to school ! :laugh: I am actually grateful for the experience. Also did geo thermal drilling... its worse on the ole bod worse than diesel based mud in your face.

Finally took a shot at sales in the mid 80s selling cell phone ( anybody want a $1500 car phone? :laugh: ) and motorcycles... a passionate "sell" and plenty of fun.

Got back into construction (Fluor ) and started traveling with them running heavy equipment until 97. Caught a break with Local 12 Operating Engineers and then went through the apprenticeship (6000 hrs ) and got my certs for being an Heavy Duty Repairman.

As soon as that was done I went back to operating... flipping levers is a lot easier that fixing junk or running NS3 wire at 350 amps reskinning heavy haul truck beds.

Mostly do dirt work, pipeline, etc, but did manage to learn profile grinding for removing the high spots on freeways and bridge decks with a PC 6000.

Wife got into real estate in 2002 and drug me into it in 2009 when their was nothing else left to do in construction.

2011 & 12 I had a water hauling business in Dickinson ND with a partner... sold out... probably would have died up there given the risk factors in a boom area with way to many trucks.

So, any of you guys that are thinking about moving to socal please give me a shot at helping you relocate. We have some of the best roads and year round riding for those that like to ride.

Just google map the mountain roads in socal and you will see what I mean. SR 74 out of Orange county to Palm Springs is one good example... Mt Polomar is another.

I did a Dozer for 2 years. Cat D11 and a Komatsu 475. I kind of miss the big ole girls. And like you say, at the end of the day you go home. It was a very Zen job.....lol.

You forget how big they are until you see one again.

I have hauled there tracks b 4 14,000lbs each yes there big.

Im on electronic log book like most companys now cant cheat it, computer really watches truck and skid or slide in wheels it sends critical event report grrrrr rpm idle time fuel consumption everything.

So, any of you guys that are thinking about moving to socal please give me a shot at helping you relocate. We have some of the best roads and year round riding for those that like to ride.

Just google map the mountain roads in socal and you will see what I mean. SR 74 out of Orange county to Palm Springs is one good example... Mt Polomar is another.

I've looked at California and think I would love the climate, especially the San Diego area, but the cost of just about everything out there scares me. Are salaries that much higher that it makes up for higher cost of living and real estate?

Just as an example, regular gas is $2.19 today. Three years ago I bought a new 3 bedroom / 3 bath house on 2 acres with just over 3000 square feet for $219,000. Nothing fancy, but nice. When I look at comparable houses alone, no land, the price almost doubles.

How do people overcome that?

Retired Marine, now A&P working in aircraft maintenance and support contract management overseas.

GM at a very small production company. We do Injection Molding, CNC Fabrication, and have our own tool room. Jack of many trades master of none. I do all the AutoCAD work and quoting of new projects. Also a volunteer FF/EMT. I like to keep my plate full.

AME (Aviation Maintenance Engineer) M1 & M2.
I work on NG 737's. I've worked on: CRJ's, Dash 8's, BAE 146, Fairchild Metro's, King Air's & Cessna's. I like Dash 8's & 737's the most.

Validation and test engineer of medium sized commercial generators for a major US based company....been doing it 15yrs , formerly an Aircraft design engineer but didn't like desk work.

I've looked at California and think I would love the climate, especially the San Diego area, but the cost of just about everything out there scares me. Are salaries that much higher that it makes up for higher cost of living and real estate?

Just as an example, regular gas is $2.19 today. Three years ago I bought a new 3 bedroom / 3 bath house on 2 acres with just over 3000 square feet for $219,000. Nothing fancy, but nice. When I look at comparable houses alone, no land, the price almost doubles.

How do people overcome that?

The high cost of living has driven people out of California for years. Many variables exist depending on where you want to live. What you might end up doing is reinventing yourself a bit to be able to afford living here. Here in Riverside county we have a lot of commuters to San Diego and Orange County as well as other nearby industrial areas. Compared to other areas in socal this is still the best real estate area to buy in. We have many people coming from San Diego and Orange County to buy homes here because you get so much more... plus... many homes were built here in the last 15 years. This place was one of the "ground zero" areas in the USA for the mortgage debacle of 2008 so the market here moves a bit more as compared to other parts of the country.

Lower priced homes are here but the neighborhoods are a bit rougher than most people can tolerate. Check Perris, Hemet and San Jacinto on Zillow just to get an idea how areas differ as compared to Murrieta and Temecula.

You all make me sick. I'm just over here, working at Wal-Mart. :) *Save money, live better* Congrats on every one though. Ya'll have ambition I could only dream of aspiring.

I would trade my job for a job at Wal Mart! We had to lay off 23 people this week. That is a hard thing to watch and it sucks to have to vote on who goes.

You all make me sick. I'm just over here, working at Wal-Mart. :) *Save money, live better* Congrats on every one though. Ya'll have ambition I could only dream of aspiring.

Nothing wrong with Wal-Mart. I worked at McDonald's for about 10 years (started at the bottom and ended up being a store manager) before I got the job I really wanted working in IT.

Back