You owe it to yourselves

I would love to do a track day. Hopefully I will have the finances next year to do so.

I live on Long Island, NY and have no idea which track to go to or which one is closer to me?

By next year I should have full leathers and some left over for the track day.
I think that Pocono raceway, in Long Pond Pa would be your closest bet. Seems NY does not have much in the line of tracks that i can find.

Ononewheel,

I'm in Central Florida, near Daytona and about two hours from Sebring. Couldn't find any helpful info on either of their web sites. Might have to go as far as Road Atlanta.

To those of you who enjoy spirited street riding and have not done a trackday yet, this thread is for you.

Trackdays have so much more to offer than just being an expensive way to ride your bike that you can ride on the road for free.  Trackdays offer the ability to ride at a much smoother, faster, and enjoyable pace without fear of cars, oil, deer, pedestrians, and cops.  Doing one trackday will teach you more about yourself and your bike than will will learn in years of street riding.  YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF TO TRY IT.  Try it once and you will probably be hooked.  Once you get out on the track and stretch your legs a bit, you will find your street riding will become, better, smoother, safer, faster if you want it to be, and still enjoyable.  

There are plenty of reasons people dont do them:

1. Too much money.  Well it is but it isnt, your first trackday will be the most expensive.  Many places rent leathers now, but you will want to buy them if you dont already have them.  Gloves, boots, and a helmet are also needed.  You can get by just fine for your first trackday on street tires, no need to guy buy slicks just yet.  So you still cant afford it?  Dont buy a set of high mounts or turn signals for a couple weeks, save some money, consider it a gift to yourself, or a vacation, borrow money if you have to, its really that worth it.

Typical trackday:
$180 track fee
$50 Gas/ food/ water
$
rock.gif
gas to get there
$
rock.gif
for tires
I generally get 2 trackdays out of a set of tires, so figure 150 a day for tires if you are buying race tires.  Pilot powers or diablo corsas will go a looong way and end up at maybe 50 perday.

Another reason: Im scared I will wreck.  Well, if you are not afraid of a car, on their cell phone, in a huge freaking rush to go nowhere, cutting through traffic you DEFINATLEY should not be afraid to crash at the track.  Crashign happens, its part of it.  BUT, most people dont crash in one trackday. its after you start getting comfaortable that crashes happen( the intermediate group is where the crashes mostly happen), so rule that out.  You are not automatically going to crash at the track.  However, in the case that you do, there is nothing to hit, tracks have nice run off, and no gaurdrails to smack.  I got off at over 100mph and walked away without a scratch, just some bruises and a slight limp.

I dont know how to get started:
I can help you with this one.  Firstly look up a track day provider in your area.  www.nesba.com is an excellent group.  They maintain a well structured trackday.  The track is broken into 3 groups, beginner, intermediate, and advanced.  Beginner does not mean you are a beginner to riding, it just means you are new to the track and there are some things they want to teach you.  they have control riders working with you to improve your habits, lines, and speed.  All while providing valuble feed back to make you  a better rider.  It is not a race, but you will be surprised at how fast the pace is.

I still dont think I can afford it:
I bet you can, you just dont desire it enough yet.  Do what it takes, make it into a vacation with your wife.  It will be one of the best times of your life.  YOU WONT REGRET IT!!!!!!

Whew... end rant.  But seriously if I can help anyone get out ther on the track for some fun, give me a holler, I am not an expert but have about 7 trackdays and a race under my belt and will be able to get you pointed in the right direction.  Also, I live near www.beaverun.com and can help out with anybody close!

See ya at the track!
Our MAG is looking into doing a track day up at Willow springs real soon.
.....Hello....whats a "MAG?", U big oger of a Jarhead!

rock.gif

Ononewheel,

I'm in Central Florida, near Daytona and about two hours from Sebring.  Couldn't find any helpful info on either of their web sites.  Might have to go as far as Road Atlanta.
Jennings has track days. I know some peeps in Tampa that have gone and the smle on their faces last for weeks. From what I understand it is just west of Live Oak. I'll see if I can find their web site for ya.
I've thought about it extensively. what is stopping me is myself. i know if i get there and find myself the least bit comfortable I'm gonna go balls wide open until I hurt my baby. 1/2 of the cure is identifying the problem...right?

Good info, thanks Onewheel! I plan to do a trackday soon.....I am definitely tight on funds at the moment...next spring or summer is what I'm shooting for.....perhaps an advanced rider course in between..

AAaRRGGGg I really wanna do a track day, but can't right now
sad.gif

I don't have enough $$
sad.gif
. I was saving up to buy nitrous, but ended up getting a puppy instead
wow.gif
. Next, I have to pay $550+ in court fees and stuff (a ticket I got doing 75 on a 40
mad.gif
) and about $600 to upgrade my PC... Time for new processor, motherboard, video card, etc...
Also, I don't have a trailer or anything, so what would be the easiest way to make it to the track? Ride the bike up there? The other thing is I always see the pits full of people and tools and stuff... So I can't really see myself going by myself riding the bike to the track
rock.gif
I guess I'll have to wait to have the $$ and then have a group go to the track with me... maybe they'll do me the favor of trailering the bike up for me
wink.gif
Busaman...

If you can get enough money saved for just the track day itself, then don't worry about the rest.

You CAN ride it to the track, but it's a risk you take on not having a way home. The Busa will fit in the back of a full-size pickup, and people at the track are always willing to lend a hand with unloading if you need it. If you ride there, then you'll need to bring painter's tape and stuff to prep your bike once you're at the track.

Tools: You could pretty much borrow anything you need.

One pointer...If you know you're going to need help, then try to bring something to offer those that do help. Soft drinks, water, fruit, chips, etc... It shows them that you're not just being a mooch. Most will turn it down anyway, but it's the offer that counts. Once you've been a few times and figure out what you need, then it will be easier. Also...look around for new people that seem dazed and confused on their first day, and help them out. Payback for others helping you.

Most important thing to do: Have Fun
cool.gif

sad.gif

I would love to do a track day. Hopefully I will have the finances next year to do so.

I live on Long Island, NY and have no idea which track to go to or which one is closer to me?

By next year I should have full leathers and some left over for the track day.
I think that Pocono raceway, in Long Pond Pa would be your closest bet.  Seems NY does not have much in the line of tracks that i can find.
Thanks bro I really appreciate the info. Hopefully next year I will go and bring a few family and friends with me.

ononewheel - I'm new to the Busa but taking it to the track sounds like something I'd like to do, at least once to see what its all about. What's involved with getting a stock bike track-ready at the beginner level? I'm in northern Virginia. Any idea where the closest track is for me? Thanks in advance.

Typical trackday:
$180 track fee
$50 Gas/ food/ water
$
rock.gif
gas to get there
$
rock.gif
for tires
+ Good set of leathers.

What does a good set of leathers cost and which brand would you recommend.
Oh man good question,

They range from abiut 550 and up, You pretty much get what you pay for, but its tricky.

The absolute best way is to get some customs, usually 900 to 1500

www.racingleather.com

thats barnacle bill's site, he gets RAAAAVE reviews for the durability of his suits, but they are not real fancy looking. Vanson also make some terrific leathers, both custom and off the shelf.

Joe rocket speedmaster suits are real nice.

Kobe leathers makes a nice suit packed with options, for cheap, but the hip seems to burn through in crashes from what I've seen.

There are a ton of options out there. What are you looking for?

rock.gif

ononewheel - What's involved in getting a stock Busa ready for the track (beginner level)?
Not too much really, tires and brakes have to be good. Tape up all head and tail lightlenses and turnsignals. Pull the fuse for the head light. Depending on the group you run with you 99% of the time have to drain your anti freeze and replace with water or water wetter, engine ice is only ok with very few tracks, cool-aid is also okay everywhere. Beginner groups dont require any safety wiring. Thats really all you need to do to the busa.

I plan on doing this one: They have a bunch of Willow events and it seems to be more of a beginner track day thing. I will sign up for the NESBA's next year.

<!--EDIT|gtrpimp76
Reason for Edit: None given...|1127145534 -->

Back