You owe it to yourselves

Ononewheel

Registered
To those of you who enjoy spirited street riding and have not done a trackday yet, this thread is for you.

Trackdays have so much more to offer than just being an expensive way to ride your bike that you can ride on the road for free. Trackdays offer the ability to ride at a much smoother, faster, and enjoyable pace without fear of cars, oil, deer, pedestrians, and cops. Doing one trackday will teach you more about yourself and your bike than will will learn in years of street riding. YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF TO TRY IT. Try it once and you will probably be hooked. Once you get out on the track and stretch your legs a bit, you will find your street riding will become, better, smoother, safer, faster if you want it to be, and still enjoyable.

There are plenty of reasons people dont do them:

1. Too much money. Well it is but it isnt, your first trackday will be the most expensive. Many places rent leathers now, but you will want to buy them if you dont already have them. Gloves, boots, and a helmet are also needed. You can get by just fine for your first trackday on street tires, no need to guy buy slicks just yet. So you still cant afford it? Dont buy a set of high mounts or turn signals for a couple weeks, save some money, consider it a gift to yourself, or a vacation, borrow money if you have to, its really that worth it.

Typical trackday:
$180 track fee
$50 Gas/ food/ water
$
rock.gif
gas to get there
$
rock.gif
for tires
I generally get 2 trackdays out of a set of tires, so figure 150 a day for tires if you are buying race tires. Pilot powers or diablo corsas will go a looong way and end up at maybe 50 perday.

Another reason: Im scared I will wreck. Well, if you are not afraid of a car, on their cell phone, in a huge freaking rush to go nowhere, cutting through traffic you DEFINATLEY should not be afraid to crash at the track. Crashign happens, its part of it. BUT, most people dont crash in one trackday. its after you start getting comfaortable that crashes happen( the intermediate group is where the crashes mostly happen), so rule that out. You are not automatically going to crash at the track. However, in the case that you do, there is nothing to hit, tracks have nice run off, and no gaurdrails to smack. I got off at over 100mph and walked away without a scratch, just some bruises and a slight limp.

I dont know how to get started:
I can help you with this one. Firstly look up a track day provider in your area. www.nesba.com is an excellent group. They maintain a well structured trackday. The track is broken into 3 groups, beginner, intermediate, and advanced. Beginner does not mean you are a beginner to riding, it just means you are new to the track and there are some things they want to teach you. they have control riders working with you to improve your habits, lines, and speed. All while providing valuble feed back to make you a better rider. It is not a race, but you will be surprised at how fast the pace is.

I still dont think I can afford it:
I bet you can, you just dont desire it enough yet. Do what it takes, make it into a vacation with your wife. It will be one of the best times of your life. YOU WONT REGRET IT!!!!!!

Whew... end rant. But seriously if I can help anyone get out ther on the track for some fun, give me a holler, I am not an expert but have about 7 trackdays and a race under my belt and will be able to get you pointed in the right direction. Also, I live near www.beaverun.com and can help out with anybody close!

See ya at the track!

Copy_of_DSC_9428_FR__Small_.JPG

rock.gif

Been wanting to do a track day for some time now, soon enough though... thanks for the insight
biggrin.gif

Been wanting to do a track day for some time now, soon enough though... thanks for the insight
biggrin.gif
ANY TIME!

Oh and one more thing. Those of you who have ridden the gap.... The track is waay more fun. Its a faster pace, the curves are better and more predictable. Just happens that the gap is the closest thing to track riding on the street I've seen, yet it still cant compare.

<span style='font-size:17pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>+1</span></span>
beerchug.gif

Trackdays ROCK
cool.gif

Ononewheel...Do you have the same screen name on the NESBA site? I'm still stkr, but without the zeros. MidWest area for me though.

This is 4th season of track days for me. I agree that this is something out of the ordinary. Being shy as I am, can I stick my track picture in here?  
biggrin.gif

__                                      
Igor
<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:darkred'>HumpMod.com</span> <span style='color:darkred'>- The easy way</span></span>

One wheel is 200% right. Specific quotes that stand out:

one trackday will teach you more about yourself and your bike than will will learn in years of street riding.
and
It will be one of the best times of your life. YOU WONT REGRET IT!!

If you think that track is not a very interesting place for you, look at your bike. Is it a SPORTBIKE? If so, then a track is the PINNICLE for you. Forever.

Nesba offers a FREE intro 2 sessions. THAT is what showed me the light. TRACKADDIX has a $25 two session 'class'. also good for starters.

I agree with the hooked part - there's simply no way to have THIS MUCH FUN on streets, twisties, canyons etc. The public environment makes that impossible. I go and but I am not 'hooked' but I easily could be. I have purposefully decided to only do track days as an enhancement to riding - yet I seem to do 3 or 4 a year!

Great post ononewheel. I bet some people wonder why we preace this so much, but if we reach ONE person to step and try it, that ONE person will see what it's all about.

PS Busa's CAN turn!
biggrin.gif

pic of stkr and me front strait of ROAD AMERICA!!! twin busas

<!--EDIT|WWJD
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126738702 -->

race.JPG

To those of you who enjoy spirited street riding and have not done a trackday yet, this thread is for you.

Trackdays have so much more to offer than just being an expensive way to ride your bike that you can ride on the road for free.  Trackdays offer the ability to ride at a much smoother, faster, and enjoyable pace without fear of cars, oil, deer, pedestrians, and cops.  Doing one trackday will teach you more about yourself and your bike than will will learn in years of street riding.  YOU OWE IT TO YOURSELF TO TRY IT.  Try it once and you will probably be hooked.  Once you get out on the track and stretch your legs a bit, you will find your street riding will become, better, smoother, safer, faster if you want it to be, and still enjoyable.  

There are plenty of reasons people dont do them:

1. Too much money.  Well it is but it isnt, your first trackday will be the most expensive.  Many places rent leathers now, but you will want to buy them if you dont already have them.  Gloves, boots, and a helmet are also needed.  You can get by just fine for your first trackday on street tires, no need to guy buy slicks just yet.  So you still cant afford it?  Dont buy a set of high mounts or turn signals for a couple weeks, save some money, consider it a gift to yourself, or a vacation, borrow money if you have to, its really that worth it.

Typical trackday:
$180 track fee
$50 Gas/ food/ water
$
rock.gif
gas to get there
$
rock.gif
for tires
I generally get 2 trackdays out of a set of tires, so figure 150 a day for tires if you are buying race tires.  Pilot powers or diablo corsas will go a looong way and end up at maybe 50 perday.

Another reason: Im scared I will wreck.  Well, if you are not afraid of a car, on their cell phone, in a huge freaking rush to go nowhere, cutting through traffic you DEFINATLEY should not be afraid to crash at the track.  Crashign happens, its part of it.  BUT, most people dont crash in one trackday. its after you start getting comfaortable that crashes happen( the intermediate group is where the crashes mostly happen), so rule that out.  You are not automatically going to crash at the track.  However, in the case that you do, there is nothing to hit, tracks have nice run off, and no gaurdrails to smack.  I got off at over 100mph and walked away without a scratch, just some bruises and a slight limp.

I dont know how to get started:
I can help you with this one.  Firstly look up a track day provider in your area.  www.nesba.com is an excellent group.  They maintain a well structured trackday.  The track is broken into 3 groups, beginner, intermediate, and advanced.  Beginner does not mean you are a beginner to riding, it just means you are new to the track and there are some things they want to teach you.  they have control riders working with you to improve your habits, lines, and speed.  All while providing valuble feed back to make you  a better rider.  It is not a race, but you will be surprised at how fast the pace is.

I still dont think I can afford it:
I bet you can, you just dont desire it enough yet.  Do what it takes, make it into a vacation with your wife.  It will be one of the best times of your life.  YOU WONT REGRET IT!!!!!!

Whew... end rant.  But seriously if I can help anyone get out ther on the track for some fun, give me a holler, I am not an expert but have about 7 trackdays and a race under my belt and will be able to get you pointed in the right direction.  Also, I live near www.beaverun.com and can help out with anybody close!

See ya at the track!
Our MAG is looking into doing a track day up at Willow springs real soon.

rock.gif

hey Ononewheel do you goto pocono raceway? i want to do it but dont want to get the gear esp if i dont like it. i have jackets but they are the textile. no leather. is it true you can wear jeans in the beginner group?

<!--EDIT|crepitus
Reason for Edit: None given...|1126739083 -->

hey Ononewheel do you goto pocono raceway? i want to do it but dont want to get the gear esp if i dont like it. i have jackets but they are the textile. no leather. is it true you can wear jeans in the beginner group?
You can rent the gear if you give them enough notice.
cool.gif

With NESBA, you are allowed to wear jeans ONLY in the intro group, and you have to have TWO pair on. You are also allowed to wear textile suits like Joe Rocket stuff, but Only for the INTRO sessions.

Leathers are expensive to buy, but I think NESBA rents them for $50/day plus a deposit of a couple hundred...not sure on the deposit.

NESBA Rental Leathers (Alpinestars)

Checked the NESBA site. They have 5 sets for rental on a first come, first served basis, and would like at least 2 weeks notice.

This will make it easier... NESBA Rider's Manual (PDF)

I'm going to look in to this. Ive never even thought about it. That DOES seem like alot of fun....and a helluva lot safer than the roads I ride on.
cool.gif

Thanks guys for the spirit so far! Like WWJD said, if at least one of you make it, all that typing is worth it for me!
smile.gif

Strk00, I mostly lurk at the Nesba board, but my name is NoMoore. I will look out for you and start posting up more!

IG, NICE ASS PICTURE!! Post more if you got em, you are looking real good there!!

WWJD I hear ya Bro
beerchug.gif

Gunny, If i only lived closer to willow.. what is your mag??

Crepitus, I have not been to Poconos yet, I live so close to beaver run I cant seem to get to the poconos. I'd love to though! I usually run the beaver, but try to hit Roebling in Ga, once a year, and I hope to do a big track this year, like VIR or Barber.

A'Busa'D, Where are you from? That will help me find you some stuff. Look up your local track and see what organizations ride there, and you'll be able to join through them. Here is some track day providers that I know of, but there are a ton more. Get back to me I'd love to help.

www.nesba.com
www.teampromotion.com
www.sportbiketracktime.com

Frisbee, do it! you will love it!

Strk good post, Nesba is a top notch organization.

I'm warning you guys though, this stuff is like heroin
jump9.gif

With Nesba, you can wear jeans in the free intro group, but you'll need full leathers for Beginners.

I would love to do a track day. Hopefully I will have the finances next year to do so.

I live on Long Island, NY and have no idea which track to go to or which one is closer to me?

By next year I should have full leathers and some left over for the track day.

AAaRRGGGg I really wanna do a track day, but can't right now
sad.gif

I don't have enough $$
sad.gif
. I was saving up to buy nitrous, but ended up getting a puppy instead
wow.gif
. Next, I have to pay $550+ in court fees and stuff (a ticket I got doing 75 on a 40
mad.gif
) and about $600 to upgrade my PC... Time for new processor, motherboard, video card, etc...
Also, I don't have a trailer or anything, so what would be the easiest way to make it to the track? Ride the bike up there? The other thing is I always see the pits full of people and tools and stuff... So I can't really see myself going by myself riding the bike to the track
rock.gif
I guess I'll have to wait to have the $$ and then have a group go to the track with me... maybe they'll do me the favor of trailering the bike up for me
wink.gif

sad.gif

Back