Yoshi rs-3

mynewbusa

Registered
Hi everyone, since joining this forum, I've found it very informative to a fault!!! I've had the bike two weeks or so and already started my modifications because of the info I have read here, thanks alot!! My question is... I just purchased a set of Yoshi RS-3 bolt on's from a friend. I have done nothing else so far, not even upgraded the air filter. I keep reading about re-mapping this bike when changing the exhaust. Can you help out a serious amature here and give me the low down on what I need to do so as not to blow this thing up!! The bike sounds awesome with these bolt on's, just a little worried about riding before I know what else I should do. Thanks for any info!

no need for re-mapping if it's just a simple pair of bolt-ons. You'll need to remove/block-off your pair valve and have it remapped when you switch to a full system.

Bolt on and enjoy.
wink.gif

I've had the bike two weeks or so and already started my modifications because of the info I have read here, thanks alot!! [/QUOTE]

You're quite welcome! We're good at that!
tounge.gif

Can you help out a serious amature here and give me the low down on what I need to do so as not to blow this thing up!! The bike sounds awesome with these bolt on's, just a little worried about riding before I know what else I should do.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'll have a stab at it.

First, glad you like the sound, those RS-3's do sound good. You'll get varying opinions on what to do with just bolt-on exhaust.

One thing that you may need to do is the PAIR valve mod. You may have noticed a lot of backfiring or popping when decelerating - this is caused by having the PAIR valve installed with aftermarket exhaust. Either remove the PAIR valve and install block-off plates or do the 'marble mod'; this will get rid of the backfiring. Other than the sound, you really haven't gained any horsepower with just the bolt-ons; you're still stuck with the stock, restrictive headers.

Another mod that you will probably want to do is the kickstand mod. The stock kickstand doesn't seem to have enough forward angle and some members have had their bikes fall over. The mod is as simple as grinding a couple of notches in the kickstand so it will angle forward more.

There are so many more mods - the list is almost endless. Double-bubble windscreen, remove the stickers and reflectors, Throttlemeister, Tobin seat(s), foot pegs, ......

Good luck and post up some pics!

There are so many more mods - the list is almost endless.  Double-bubble windscreen, remove the stickers and reflectors, Throttlemeister, Tobin seat(s), foot pegs, ......

Good luck and post up some pics!
I see that!! I've already done the kick stand mod, thats the first thing I saw on here that got my attention. Heli-bars were second, and now the Yoshi's. I took off the ugly azz orange and white stickers (what were they thinking?!) I'm looking into a custom Tobin seat. I'm sure I'll do more as I go, it looks like the possibilities are endless, although my check book isn't!! thanks for everyones advice, great forum here!

<!--EDIT|mynewbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149217598 -->

DSCF1488__Small_.JPG

Hi everyone, since joining this forum, I've found it very informative to a fault!!! I've had the bike two weeks or so and already started my modifications because of the info I have read here, thanks alot!! My question is... I just purchased a set of Yoshi RS-3 bolt on's from a friend. I have done nothing else so far, not even upgraded the air filter. I keep reading about re-mapping this bike when changing the exhaust. Can you help out a serious amature here and give me the low down on what I need to do so as not to blow this thing up!! The bike sounds awesome with these bolt on's, just a little worried about riding before I know what else I should do. Thanks for any info!
Has your bike been through the breakin process? I am wondering because I have purchased RS-3's as well but I have not completed the breakin process...

Has your bike been through the breakin process?  I am wondering because I have purchased RS-3's as well but I have not completed the breakin process...
I just turned 580 miles on the bike over the weekend. Going in for it's first service tomorrow. I bolted on the pipes last night. I think I should be OK with the 4000rpm brake in period. What do you think?

When I bought mine, the dealer said if I wanted new cans, I should do it immediately (including re-mapping, new filter), or wait until after the first service. Why not have it all done during the first service to avoid any warranty issues? Oh yeah, great lookin' bike!
cool.gif

<!--EDIT|05 Busa LE
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149184193 -->

I love this bike!!! I couldn't sell my Kawi fast enough!! I just talked to a guy at Fuel Moto about a power commander and a TRE. This is way to easy!!

Has your bike been through the breakin process?  I am wondering because I have purchased RS-3's as well but I have not completed the breakin process...
I just turned 580 miles on the bike over the weekend. Going in for it's first service tomorrow. I bolted on the pipes last night. I think I should be OK with the 4000rpm brake in period. What do you think?
Welcome
beerchug.gif
and you'll be OK ! Just as long as you do the FULL MODS when and if you go with a full system. And, by the way, the Stock Air Filter is the best until you do more engine mods ! Ride Safe  
race.gif

The marble trick works.

I have RS3s and did the mod with great success.

marble.jpg

i also have the rs-3's and the marble mod comletely eliminated my backfire.......

I haven't had any back fires yet, I took it for a couple "hot laps" last night and tonight and haven't heard anything that worries me. Should I expect too? That marble mod looks easy enough to do so I'll prolly tackle that next if it is really necessary. By the way, what does that plugged hose actually feed?

I have 4300 miles on mine with the RS-3's. No marble in my hose and no backfiring. It's a bit tough to get used to light throttle, but it's all good. I bought bike with them on and have nothing to compare it to.
The marble blocks off the unused fuel vapor return... I think.
rock.gif

I've had the bike two weeks or so and already started my modifications because of the info I have read here, thanks alot!!

You're quite welcome!  We're good at that!  
tounge.gif

Can you help out a serious amature here and give me the low down on what I need to do so as not to blow this thing up!! The bike sounds awesome with these bolt on's, just a little worried about riding before I know what else I should do.[/QUOTE]

First, glad you like the sound, those RS-3's do sound good.  You'll get varying opinions on what to do with just bolt-on exhaust.

One thing that you may need to do is the PAIR valve mod.  You may have noticed a lot of backfiring or popping when decelerating - this is caused by having the PAIR valve installed with aftermarket exhaust.  Either remove the PAIR valve and install block-off plates or do the 'marble mod'; this will get rid of the backfiring.  Other than the sound, you really haven't gained any horsepower with just the bolt-ons; you're still stuck with the stock, restrictive headers.

Another mod that you will probably want to do is the kickstand mod.  The stock kickstand doesn't seem to have enough forward angle and some members have had their bikes fall over.  The mod is as simple as grinding a couple of notches in the kickstand so it will angle forward more.

There are so many more mods - the list is almost endless.  Double-bubble windscreen, remove the stickers and reflectors, Throttlemeister, Tobin seat(s), foot pegs, ......

Good luck and post up some pics![/QUOTE]
I don't know how the Yoshi's are designed...if you can look straight though them then they're "race" style cans.....Scorpion and Viper both claim a 6 hp gain with dyno charts for just their race bolt ons. I put the Vipers on first and it did make a noticeable difference.....then I put a Cobra FI2000R pc on and it made a VERY noticeable diff.....gave it right NOW throttle response and pulls harder everywhere. I had heard so much of the "bolt ons don't do squat" info that I expected nothing....and was truly shocked at the diff. WELL worth every penny invested
tounge.gif

If you look through the stock exhaust can, you can't see more than a third of the way down either end because it has three offset baffled chambers to get the sound down to the 80 decibels the U.S. requires. That restricts the exhaust flow a ton. If you do your research here and on the net you'll find that a pair of bolt ons give you roughly half of what a full system will hp wise. Either alot of folks here are spreading the bolt ons don't do diddly myth without ever trying them....or they need to invest in a $66 BMC filter, a $197 shipped to your door Cobra pc, and a set of straight through $370 Viper bolt ons before they pass judgement
wink.gif
Its a cheap easy performance mod you can really feel....try it, you might like it
cool.gif

No offense intended Om and none taken I hope
wink.gif

tounge.gif

wink.gif

I've had the bike two weeks or so and already started my modifications because of the info I have read here, thanks alot!!

You're quite welcome!  We're good at that!  
tounge.gif

Can you help out a serious amature here and give me the low down on what I need to do so as not to blow this thing up!! The bike sounds awesome with these bolt on's, just a little worried about riding before I know what else I should do.

First, glad you like the sound, those RS-3's do sound good.  You'll get varying opinions on what to do with just bolt-on exhaust.

One thing that you may need to do is the PAIR valve mod.  You may have noticed a lot of backfiring or popping when decelerating - this is caused by having the PAIR valve installed with aftermarket exhaust.  Either remove the PAIR valve and install block-off plates or do the 'marble mod'; this will get rid of the backfiring.  Other than the sound, you really haven't gained any horsepower with just the bolt-ons; you're still stuck with the stock, restrictive headers.

Another mod that you will probably want to do is the kickstand mod.  The stock kickstand doesn't seem to have enough forward angle and some members have had their bikes fall over.  The mod is as simple as grinding a couple of notches in the kickstand so it will angle forward more.

Good luck and post up some pics![/QUOTE]
I don't know how the Yoshi's are designed...if you can look straight though them then they're "race" style cans.....Scorpion and Viper both claim a 6 hp gain with dyno charts for just their race bolt ons. I put the Vipers on first and it did make a noticeable difference.....then I put a Cobra FI2000R pc on and it made a VERY noticeable diff.....gave it right NOW throttle response and pulls harder everywhere. I had heard so much of the "bolt ons don't do squat" info that I expected nothing....and was truly shocked at the diff. WELL worth every penny invested
tounge.gif

If you look through the stock exhaust can, you can't see more than a third of the way down either end because it has three offset baffled chambers to get the sound down to the 80 decibels the U.S. requires. That restricts the exhaust flow a ton. If you do your research here and on the net you'll find that a pair of bolt ons give you roughly half of what a full system will hp wise. Either alot of folks here are spreading the bolt ons don't do diddly myth without ever trying them....or they need to invest in a $66 BMC filter, a $197 shipped to your door Cobra pc, and a set of straight through $370 Viper  bolt ons before they pass judgement  
wink.gif
Its a cheap easy performance mod you can really feel....try it, you might like it
cool.gif

No offense intended Om and none taken I hope  
wink.gif
[/QUOTE]
I wasn't necessarily looking for big gains as much as I was looking for a better sound for the bike, but I can tell you this, I was a little surprised after I put them on. I've yet to pull the front wheel off the ground intentionally, even by accelerating pretty hard I've kept the front wheel down, but I was leaving an intersection the night I installed the caps, and I got on it about like I normally would, and I'll be damned if the front wheel didn't come right up. Just a nice low wheelie, nothing spectacular, but it sort of suprised me because I've launched that way many times and didn't have that happen until the caps were put on. I'm not sure if it was just a fluke or did the Busa like the Yoshi's too!! So far I'm pretty happy with the whole deal! I'm looking at a few other add-ons like the Power Commander and TRE and that should do it for awhile (yeah, right)!!

tounge.gif

wink.gif

Back