Yoshimua RS-3 baffle removal

x-r6-rider

Registered
Bought a new Yoshimura RS-3 Bolt on exhaust.
I have removed the baffles. Sounds great!! but is it ok to do? Runs fine, maybe a bit more power!
No info included from Yoshimura and did not find it here on a search.
Thanks

You did exactly what you needed to do!!!

Now go ride that sucker!

No they are not hollow. You can see the perforated mesh on inside. You can however see right through them. Glad this is O.K. to do. Thanks YH2k and Proud dad

You'll be fine, Did you have to break any spot welds on the screws holding in the baffle? I want to take mine out but they are spot welded on.

(Chromed-n-Stretched @ Apr. 06 2007,17:56) You'll be fine, Did you have to break any spot welds on the screws holding in the baffle?  I want to take mine out but they are spot welded on.
No spot welds on mine.

Mine was welded, and I didn't like the metal tone sound...so, I cut off mine...
super.gif

PICT0550__Small_.JPG

I removed mine, they were spot welded. Used a Dremmel tool to knock down the spot welds. Took my baffles and shortened up quite a bit. Still didn't care for the sound so I removed them again. One thing about runnin' stock cans. You can fly in stealth mode.

(Vic_E55_2001 @ Apr. 06 2007,20:28)
(hydrabusa @ Apr. 06 2007,19
flamethrowingsmiley.gif
) Mine was welded, and I didn't like the metal tone sound...so, I cut off mine...
super.gif
Did you cut your can in half?
just about...yeah, my Yoshi tag was bit too long...
crazy.gif
so, I couldn't get any shorter...sounds good...tho  
super.gif

super.gif

What kind of pipe is it ? Some of the Yosh pipes have removable baffles.

Some people talk about "back pressure", and how you lose it without the baffle ?

I asked a guy about that before, and he told me "it's like a garden hose without a nozzle, when you turn it on, the water just pours out of it, but if you put your thumb over half of the opening it shoots out a lot harder".

I bought my pipe used, and when I had it mapped the guy thought the baffle was removed. The performance is okay with my bike, but it sounds like DOO-DOO, (that's just this pipe, not saying removing yours would sound bad).

Last edited:
Some people talk about "back pressure", and how you lose it without the baffle ?

I asked a guy about that before, and he told me "it's like a garden hose without a nozzle, when you turn it on, the water just pours out of it, but if you put your thumb over half of the opening it shoots out a lot harder".

I bought my pipe used, and when I had it mapped the guy thought the baffle was removed. The performance is okay with my bike, but it sounds like DOO-DOO, like there's loose parts in there.

see my logic is i dont see how backpressure changes... the exhaust outlet does not get any bigger. i guess without the baffle exhaust exits easier?

With the baffle in, a lot of the air (exhaust, sound, whatever) goes to the outside of the tube, hits end of the baffle, turns around, goes down and then comes back up the center of the pipe.. Think of a straight pipe.. The air can come straight out of it. Now put a donut in the end.. the air cannot come straight out, the air on the outer edges of the pipe hits the donut, turns around, and comes back out the middle. That's the easiest way I know how to describe what's happening without a diagram, because I cannot find one right now.

With the baffle in, a lot of the air (exhaust, sound, whatever) goes to the outside of the tube, hits end of the baffle, turns around, goes down and then comes back up the center of the pipe.. Think of a straight pipe.. The air can come straight out of it. Now put a donut in the end.. the air cannot come straight out, the air on the outer edges of the pipe hits the donut, turns around, and comes back out the middle. That's the easiest way I know how to describe what's happening without a diagram, because I cannot find one right now.

I think im going to remove the baffle, see how it sounds and if i dont like it put it back in, that is if its not a mess and easily removed... if its hard to remove i probably wont even attempt it

Back