Yoshi fitment question--Can you cross gen I with gen II ?

Nevermind, GSXtacy (Chris) took his mid-pipe with him, pm him and ask him but he will be going to work so you might have to wait until tommorrow.

I am working on his bike(gen2 with the set-up you are talking about, he had this same carbon can on his gen1, just had to buy a new header and midpipe for his new one.

pm me if you need futher help,

thanks Taylor--- I will shoot him a PM also--I am just tryin' to get somethin' worked out on this--I really love that R-77 setup--thanks for the help :beerchug:

I actually did fit an R-77 to my Gen 1 but there are a few things you have to address. The header fit with no problem but after that there is some work to do. First is that I had to cut the right side centerstand tab almost flush to the engine case. I used a sawz-all with a metal cutting blade. I then had to cut the tab that the stock mid pipe bolts to about 3/4's of the way off up toward the engine case. Again with a sawz-all.

After this the pipe mounted up entirely but I still had to make a bracket to support the mid pipe otherwise the only thing holding the pipe would be the muffler bracket and the header mounts. I made a bracket that went from the yosh mid pipe mount to the left side centerstand tab which I left on. These mounting points end up being very close to each other so it wasn't to bad to do.

The next problem is that the lower back of the fairing will touch the midpipe so I had to make a bracket to hold the to ends apart so they wouldn't touch the pipe. As you can see this means you can no longer use the lower rear end fairing piece because it hangs down pretty low and you would definitely have to fabricate something to make it work as the lowerfairig is now pulled apart a bit. I however like the way it looks without this piece. Just me.

Now for the positives........the bike does look unique with an R-77 full system on a Gen 1. The header does hang a bit lower in the front so changing the oil filter is no problem at all. Way easier than stock. Apparently all the people that were saying that the Gen 2 has a lower oil pan knew what they were saying.

I only did this because I had a Gen 2 pipe laying around from my old Gen 2 and didn't feel like giving it away to someone on e-bay for nothing. Nobody seems to want to give you what things are really worth anymore; they want it for nothing. If I didn't already have this pipe I would just buy something made to fit the bike though the available full system pipes for the Gen 1 are becoming more limited. Akro for one didn't have one listed on their website.

I actually did fit an R-77 to my Gen 1 but there are a few things you have to address. The header fit with no problem but after that there is some work to do. First is that I had to cut the right side centerstand tab almost flush to the engine case. I used a sawz-all with a metal cutting blade. I then had to cut the tab that the stock mid pipe bolts to about 3/4's of the way off up toward the engine case. Again with a sawz-all.

After this the pipe mounted up entirely but I still had to make a bracket to support the mid pipe otherwise the only thing holding the pipe would be the muffler bracket and the header mounts. I made a bracket that went from the yosh mid pipe mount to the left side centerstand tab which I left on. These mounting points end up being very close to each other so it wasn't to bad to do.

The next problem is that the lower back of the fairing will touch the midpipe so I had to make a bracket to hold the to ends apart so they wouldn't touch the pipe. As you can see this means you can no longer use the lower rear end fairing piece because it hangs down pretty low and you would definitely have to fabricate something to make it work as the lowerfairig is now pulled apart a bit. I however like the way it looks without this piece. Just me.

Now for the positives........the bike does look unique with an R-77 full system on a Gen 1. The header does hang a bit lower in the front so changing the oil filter is no problem at all. Way easier than stock. Apparently all the people that were saying that the Gen 2 has a lower oil pan knew what they were saying.

I only did this because I had a Gen 2 pipe laying around from my old Gen 2 and didn't feel like giving it away to someone on e-bay for nothing. Nobody seems to want to give you what things are really worth anymore; they want it for nothing. If I didn't already have this pipe I would just buy something made to fit the bike though the available full system pipes for the Gen 1 are becoming more limited. Akro for one didn't have one listed on their website.

pics would be good:) I'm doing this now with a yosh header instead of a Gen II header

I can respect the determination you guys have for making something work on a different bike than it was designed for, but if I wanted a certain end can off a different bike on mine, and I couldn't make it fit on my current header, I'd be done with it and just enjoy the can options I had for my current header :laugh:
But then I don't enjoy the thrill of the wrenching as much as some guys either lol.

Back