Gen I and Gen II Forks

rubber2burn

Donating Member
Registered
Ok guys do any of you know if the Gen I and Gen II forks are the as far as in Diameter. I have had this crazy thought stuck in my head since the Gen II hit the street and would like like a set of Gen II Forks along with the Radial mount brakes on my My 05 LE I think that would look awesome because of the Black forks and the added benefit of the upgraded braking system. So do any of you guys know it the forks and system would bolt up? Like I said it is a crasy thought in my head.

There has been lots of interest in that swap. I am pretty sure that GEN I are 43mm but don't know about GEN II.

Just checked the parts fiche online at Flat Out Motorcycles and all of the part numbers are different.
Outer tubes (which would have told the story had the numbers matched across Gens), triple clamps, all of them have one part number for the 08 and another for the first Gen....Not that this means anything, heck, maybe they are different colors....

BUT!
All of the bearings and seals that go through the neck are the same so it would seem that if you swapped out the whole front assembly; forks, triple clamps and internals and just put them on your Gen 1 frame you'd be cooking with grease!

Ok, you have to let us know what happens if you do this...

You would need virtually the entire front end. The wheel, fender everything are non-interchangeable. But assuming you could find a whole front end it would be a pretty straight bolt on fair. Then you would have to deal with the mismatched rear wheel. The question is will a GSXR 1000 front end fit? Then you would have the radial calipers, radial master cylinders and all. Cant wait to read how well the 09 1000 front end and brakes work out. The new bike has the new Big Piston fork and the monoblock calipers added to the mix!

You would need virtually the entire front end. The wheel, fender everything are non-interchangeable. But assuming you could find a whole front end it would be a pretty straight bolt on fair. Then you would have to deal with the mismatched rear wheel. The question is will a GSXR 1000 front end fit? Then you would have the radial calipers, radial master cylinders and all. Cant wait to read how well the 09 1000 front end and brakes work out. The new bike has the new Big Piston fork and the monoblock calipers added to the mix!

NOW, Thats thinken outside the box! That whould be Trick! I HATE THE BRAKES on my Bus :banghead: Dont stop for :moon:

04-06 gsxr 1000 forks fit with a 1mm shim in the lower tree clamp
07-08 gsxr 1000 and 08 busa are 1mm thicker than gen 1 busa lower clamp so the clamp needs to be bored out to fit. I am trying to find out if a 08 busa lower clamp would work

So if I read this right the Gen I forks are 1mm smaller in OD (at the lower triple) than the Gen II? Good info.

04-06 gsxr 1000 forks fit with a 1mm shim in the lower tree clamp
07-08 gsxr 1000 and 08 busa are 1mm thicker than gen 1 busa lower clamp so the clamp needs to be bored out to fit. I am trying to find out if a 08 busa lower clamp would work

NOW, Thats thinken outside the box! That whould be Trick! I HATE THE BRAKES on my Bus :banghead: Dont stop for :moon:

There are many upgrades that will improve the stockers on a 1st gen.

Start with pads and lines.

The biggest change I made on mine was a Brembo 19 x 20 radial master. It made more of an improvement than the lines and pads compined.

I have also added Galfer rotors. 2 finger stops from tripple digit track day speeds are no problem.

Busa does not NEED radial brakes.

yes you can swap in GSXR forks...I recommend 04-05 750 forks

Send your forks out to be rebuilt and revalved by GPsuspensions or raceready

then buy a nice brembo full brake upgrade

that will blow away the gsxr conversion or the 08 conversion.

Very few people will ever have the ability to mx otu a stock busa suspension or brake setup if they are set up properly.

Most issues with the braking can be solved by doing three things.

#1. Adjust the lever so you get proper pull versus your grip size
#2. replace aged fluid and or lines...SS lines do not really gain you anythign over NEW rubber OEM lines...Rubber lines just become more elastic as they age.
#3. learn proper braking technique....many people do not know how to use their brakes properly...there is a rer brake for a reason.

I gotta respectfully disagree. If ever there was a machine in need of the enhanced braking performance of radial calipers and master cylinders it is the stock Hayabusa. And While the radial calipers may not be a necessity, they are state of the art for shedding speed, because they are more mechanically efficient than the stock six piston calipers on the gen I. The Radial master cylinders are the current state of the art for the same reason. As Vman pointed out the stock brakes respond very well to the addition of a radial master cylinder. Look at every front line Sportbike made today to see this in action. While you may not need the extra braking power, you will be able to put more focus on the other tasks at hand in a heavy braking application if you aren't applying the kung fu grip to the brake lever to make it happen.

The 04-05 750 had radial brakes so those would be part of the equation in this case as well.

Good call on having GP redo the forks. That is my very intent this winter.

I already have the Braided Galfer lines and EBC HH pads and recently added CRG levers to adjust the span to my tastes and am still left wanting!

Busa does not NEED radial brakes.

yes you can swap in GSXR forks...I recommend 04-05 750 forks

Send your forks out to be rebuilt and revalved by GPsuspensions or raceready

then buy a nice brembo full brake upgrade

that will blow away the gsxr conversion or the 08 conversion.

Very few people will ever have the ability to mx otu a stock busa suspension or brake setup if they are set up properly.

Most issues with the braking can be solved by doing three things.

#1. Adjust the lever so you get proper pull versus your grip size
#2. replace aged fluid and or lines...SS lines do not really gain you anythign over NEW rubber OEM lines...Rubber lines just become more elastic as they age.
#3. learn proper braking technique....many people do not know how to use their brakes properly...there is a rer brake for a reason.

I gotta respectfully disagree. If ever there was a machine in need of the enhanced braking performance of radial calipers and master cylinders it is the stock Hayabusa. And While the radial calipers may not be a necessity, they are state of the art for shedding speed, because they are more mechanically efficient than the stock six piston calipers on the gen I. The Radial master cylinders are the current state of the art for the same reason. As Vman pointed out the stock brakes respond very well to the addition of a radial master cylinder. Look at every front line Sportbike made today to see this in action. While you may not need the extra braking power, you will be able to put more focus on the other tasks at hand in a heavy braking application if you aren't applying the kung fu grip to the brake lever to make it happen.

The 04-05 750 had radial brakes so those would be part of the equation in this case as well.

Good call on having GP redo the forks. That is my very intent this winter.

I already have the Braided Galfer lines and EBC HH pads and recently added CRG levers to adjust the span to my tastes and am still left wanting!

crg levers are more expensive and almost identical to pazzos.

ask me how I know

Picture472.jpg

and these are 1k forks(03-04 &05-06)....750's have blue adjusters I am told.

Picture538.jpg

CRG Levers are no more spendy than the Pazzo's and the Pazzo's are copies of them. Not bad copies but copies nonetheless.

I got mine from Hardracing.com for $169.99 ($180 shipped). About the same as the Pazzo's New $179.99 asking price now that they raised the price. Anybody selling them cheaper than that now gets yanked.

crg levers are more expensive and almost identical to pazzos.

Back