Yea Pueblo CO !! Smoking ban has had big effect

That's how I lost my dad a couple of years ago. He died of a heart-attack. I tried to get him to quit smoking, and he tried a couple times.

I wish he was still here...:down:

That's how I lost my dad a couple of years ago. He died of a heart-attack. I tried to get him to quit smoking, and he tried a couple times.

I wish he was still here...:down:

Sorry to hear that, motogp. All three of my sons smoke, and despite my arguments contrary, they're all old enough to decide for themselves. Watching someone you love hurt themselves really sucks.

I am approaching my 2 yr mark of my quit date. I needed chantix to do it. It was a god send. I still have mixed feelings about laws like that banning smoking in entire communities. I dont know if those figures can be trusted but I have no doubt that the benifets out way the draw backs. so congrats to all that have quit and good luck to all those that have just done so or are thinking of it. And if you are having trouble doing it give chantix a shot.

3 years after banning smoking in all public places (second hand smoke problems) heart attack admissions dropped 43%..

The data collected is part of one of the longest running studies on second hand smoke and its affects on others.. pretty significant!

I smoked for a lot of years myself and felt significantly better a few months after quitting.. So.. you new years resolution folks... Hang in there!!

Class of 77 (Central high) is my Alma Mater

Yeah, I'm skeptical, not cause you felt better after you stopped smoking, that's a given and I agree 100%. I quit after 15 years and I can say without a doubt, I felt much better.

But the notion that a ban on public smoking has resulted in a 43% drop in heart related admissions is a silly. There isn't a study on the planet that could somehow tie these two factors together with any sort of genuine statistical reality. Statistics are easy to fudge, damn easy to fudge especially when your continued political career, research career, etc depends on them.

Besides I've been to Pueblo and from what I remember 2nd hand smoke is way down on the list of things that will kill you there. :laugh:

Seriously though, the validity of the numbers used has to be questioned, as the blanket 43% drop statement is just too over the top.

Back