Y'all count your blessings everyday!

TallTom

Registered
I see sick people daily. You get used to the maladies and circumstances they have after awhile. You don't get cold, you just get acclimated.

I'm not going to say anything meant to be unkind to anyone I'm about to discuss. Everyone has their side of the problem they face. I'm not trying to disrespect anyone here I discuss.

Late last week I got an off the schedule will call request for a transport. From a regular hospital customer but a what I assumed, was a new employee as you get used to to the names. I asked the particulars as always. We need to know some particulars always.

40 YO male. Bi palegic. Double amputee below the knee. Provide our chair. Transport to his vehicle. I decided to take this one myself.

So I'm thinking RV, boat etc. I just figured she was new.

I arrive on time. He wasn't ready. So I grabbed a quick bite. We deploy the ramp in the loading zone so security doesn't ticket us for parking in a loading zone illegally.

So I come back around the corner to find them trying to load the dude up in the van hurriedly.

I'm like Yo What The Hell!??!

Oh well we saw the van and figured you were mad because we ran late. Just trying to help you out.

Yeah....no... you guys know protocol, you can't load what's not your property.

I recognize Mike who was the internal transport manager.

Mike. WTH man. You know better.

He was like Oh Tom, man I didn't know you were taking transports. Tom, I'm sorry he's IC. We were told to make sure he's gone. I knew he didn't like what he was doing either in that moment!

IC means Indigent Care (Can't pay). IC has to have medical care rendered by law.

Mike dude......I just shook my head. Guys back him off my ramp, I haven't taken responsibility yet.

Now I've got 3 guys, the IC and me making a scene at the entrance to the hospital.

I squat down.

Freshly bandaged stumps. No Prosthetics.

Are you Mr Zxcvgh?
Yes.
Alright I'm here to transport you. Are you in pain?
No.
Are you able to give me arm strength?

Yes.

Where am I taking you?

I don't know was his response.

We have to sort of evaluate for mental health issues.

Can you tell me your birthday?
He did.

Your brothers name please?
He did.

Can you tell me the date?
He looked at his wristband and complied.

So he's mentally good and lucid to speak with.

Are you homeless?
Yes.

Can you tell me how you got here?

Yes ambulance.

I said OK Mike I'll figure this out. He said quietly, I'm sorry about this Tom.

They couldn't leave fast enough!!!!!

So I know something is up but not sure what yet. I just took responsibility.

I get him all tied down and secured.

I do a little interview now.
He had been in hospital for 6 weeks.

I said, Usually with fresh amputations they send you to rehab.

I lost them 2 years ago.

Where did they pick you up at?

My car.

Is that where you live.

Yes.

Alright you OK if we go back to there?

He shook his head no.

Why not?

Because I'm living in filth and that is how I got the infection.

I hear stories so I'm still hesitant to believe this.

I said sir here is what I'm going to do. I have to take you where I was instructed. I can't help you until I do my part.

He told me where it was.

The car had been parked for 6 weeks and was still there.

I have seen a LOT of disgusting things in my life. A LOT.

The inside of his car was way worse than anything I was prepared for.

Alright Sir here is what I need you to say if asked. I'm going to help you, but if asked, you are going to tell anyone who ask you that your car wasn't here. Because the hospital will get a transport report and I am going to revise the destination.

It took me 4 hours to get him placed in a group home. But it took me a few stops to do it. I begin to ask more as we were waiting along the way.

He got shot while on the job as an A/C tech. In the back. Severed his spine. He was 38 years old at the time.

Due to his lack of feeling in his extremities, he couldn't feel the infection when it started. And he couldn't provide personal care very easily. By the time he realized he was in trouble he was already in a staph infection. They removed both his legs. He had enough $$ saved to go 2.5 years. When that ran out he had to rely on his car.

He had been living in his own filth for 4 months. With no legs. No wheelchair. No nothing.

One second he's at work minding his business, the next he's effed.

The hospitals aren't in business to render free housing. He has no family. No $$. So they have to make chyttie decisions.

Dear God my Busa folks. Don't ever think nothing bad can happen to you. Don't ever think you'll get through tough times. You have no grasp of what tough can be. Don't ever take for granted how blessed we are to be able to come here and biotch at digital family.

And let me tell you what, the charity group homes are NOT where you want to end up!

It is a primitive way to live.

And he's a young man.

I'd rather shoot myself!!!!

Please I may not ever meet any of your sorry arses, but I wouldn't wish his circumstances on anyone. It's not just him alone. He needs round the clock care from several people all the time.

I'm a pretty tough guy. But that one kept me up for a few nights.

I also reached out to the hospital and summarized. They have to do better. They'd literally dump him on the curb if they could figure out how to.

Last edited:
It's a tough world out there......and very little compassion these days...

The homeless population is soaring in many cases due to drug use but the case of the person you wrote about is really unique and troubling and sadly probably common.

I thank my blessings I joined the military and was able to survive long enough to get a pension and accumulate all I have over the years. I've had people tell me it must be nice to have what I do and I simply tell them we each had our own choice of what to do with our lives, I just got lucky in mine.

I have a longtime acquaintance who was a shining star in our military and he fell down the abyss of drug use....even with all the help we could give him through a vast means of resources, he never recovered from that and lost it all....we just couldn't help him as much as we tried...and his story is just one of probably millions out there.

It's a tough world out there......and very little compassion these days...

The homeless population is soaring in many cases due to drug use but the case of the person you wrote about is really unique and troubling and sadly probably common.

I thank my blessings I joined the military and was able to survive long enough to get a pension and accumulate all I have over the years. I've had people tell me it must be nice to have what I do and I simply tell them we each had our own choice of what to do with our lives, I just got lucky in mine.

I have a longtime acquaintance who was a shining star in our military and he fell down the abyss of drug use....even with all the help we could give him through a vast means of resources, he never recovered from that and lost it all....we just couldn't help him as much as we tried...and his story is just one of probably millions out there.
I don't know how Canada works socially. The U.S. is more like some states are better than others in social issues.

But I'm going to share some info overall. I am expanding into other markets. I have some medical contacts in some other markets.

IC is a binding problem for hospitals. They have to provide care if anyone comes into the system. Usually through the ER.

I just got back from Houston Tx. 4th largest populated city in the U.S.

IC is now 35% of their bed space. A bed in Houston makes $4000 a day. Further if they can't schedule a profitable surgery because of lack of bed space. So it cascades rapidly.

The IC rate has spiked due to the flood of immigrants. They are literally going to go bankrupt. That is a REAL problem.

My dude is an extreme case. He deserves state or Federal Aide. He should have a basic living and care provided to him. Then we need space to put him (a general him). My state literally has no more nursing home beds. Where he could taken. They are currently building 1000 units as we speak. They already have a line of 3000 people waiting!

Our system overall is not ready to deal with the larger and larger economically dis advantaged population. It all cost money. It's a shell game we are playing. And the poor are a fast growing part of our world now.

Our ship is taking on water!

Like you I have the good fortune of a military safety net. And GOOD health. This man was doing NOTHING but making his living.

He isn't mentally ill. He wasn't part of the community that shot him. He isn't in the abyss of drugs.

He deserves basic care and a place to live.

It's a tough problem for all.

We have social medicine here so in this case, this person would have been taken care of medically then placed into a palliative care home to look after him, there is no way he would have been released on the side of the road.

We have quite a few safety nets here for people who are experiencing issues both mentally, medically and economically. I guess that's why so many people flock here, if it wasn't for the long cold winters, we'd have a huge population just for our social programs.

We have social medicine here so in this case, this person would have been taken care of medically then placed into a palliative care home to look after him, there is no way he would have been released on the side of the road.

We have quite a few safety nets here for people who are experiencing issues both mentally, medically and economically. I guess that's why so many people flock here, if it wasn't for the long cold winters, we'd have a huge population just for our social programs.
I am creating a cottage industry just in transported IC. I literally am being asked to put together a plan that they know they have to pay to use. It's cheaper to pay for something that's humane if they can discharge earlier. It's coming straight out of their pockets.

I see sick people daily. You get used to the maladies and circumstances they have after awhile. You don't get cold, you just get acclimated.

I'm not going to say anything meant to be unkind to anyone I'm about to discuss. Everyone has their side of the problem they face. I'm not trying to disrespect anyone here I discuss.

Late last week I got an off the schedule will call request for a transport. From a regular hospital customer but a what I assumed, was a new employee as you get used to to the names. I asked the particulars as always. We need to know some particulars always.

40 YO male. Bi palegic. Double amputee below the knee. Provide our chair. Transport to his vehicle. I decided to take this one myself.

I arrive on time. He wasn't ready. So I grabbed a quick bite. We deploy the ramp in the loading zone so security doesn't ticket us for parking in a loading zone illegally.

So I come back around the corner to find them trying to load the dude up in the van hurriedly.

Oh well we saw the van and figured you were mad because we ran late. Just trying to help you out.

He was like Oh Tom, man I didn't know you were taking transports. Tom, I'm sorry he's IC. We were told to make sure he's gone. I knew he didn't like what he was doing either in that moment!

IC means Indigent Care (Can't pay). IC has to have medical care rendered by law.

Mike dude......I just shook my head. Guys back him off my ramp, I haven't taken responsibility yet.

Now I've got 3 guys, the IC and me making a scene at the entrance to the hospital.

I squat down.

Are you Mr Zxcvgh?
Yes.
No.

Yes.

Where am I taking you?

He did.

He did.

Are you homeless?
Yes.

Yes ambulance.

I lost them 2 years ago.

My car.

Is that where you live.

Yes.

He shook his head no.

Why not?

I said sir here is what I'm going to do. I have to take you where I was instructed. I can't help you until I do my part.

He told me where it was.

Alright Sir here is what I need you to say if asked. I'm going to help you, but if asked, you are going to tell anyone who ask you that your car wasn't here. Because the hospital will get a transport report and I am going to revise the destination.

It took me 4 hours to get him placed in a group home. But it took me a few stops to do it. I begin to ask more as we were waiting along the way.

He got shot while on the job as an A/C tech. In the back. Severed his spine. He was 38 years old at the time.

Due to his lack of feeling in his extremities, he couldn't feel the infection when it started. And he couldn't provide personal care very easily. By the time he realized he was in trouble he was already in a staph infection. They removed both his legs. He had enough $$ saved to go 2.5 years. When that ran out he had to rely on his car.

He had been living in his own filth for 4 months. With no legs. No wheelchair. No nothing.

The hospitals aren't in business to render free housing. He has no family. No $$. So they have to make chyttie decisions.

Dear God my Busa folks. Don't ever think nothing bad can happen to you. Don't ever think you'll get through tough times. You have no grasp of what tough can be. Don't ever take for granted how blessed we are to be able to come here and biotch at digital family.

And let me tell you what, the charity group homes are NOT where you want to end up!

And he's a young man.

Please I may not ever meet any of your sorry arses, but I wouldn't wish his circumstances on anyone. It's not just him alone. He needs round the clock care from several people all the time.

I also reached out to the hospital and summarized. They have to do better. They'd literally dump him on the curb if they could figure out how to.
Thank you for helping him change the direction of his life. Without that change he probaly would have died in that car soon by the looks of it. We all need someone to step it at our weakest moments. Glad it was you. Someone else would not have taken the time.

Thank you for helping him change the direction of his life. Without that change he probaly would have died in that car soon by the looks of it. We all need someone to step it at our weakest moments. Glad it was you. Someone else would not have taken the time.
You're probably right. That car was one of the worst things I had ever seen!

I don't know about changing his life. But the best part of my day was seeing him in a bed with people around him that could assist. Better than the car but still they will be forgotten about by the masses. God bless the people that keep it running!!

I squat down.

Are you Mr Zxcvgh?
Yes.
No.

Yes.

Where am I taking you?

He did.

He did.

Are you homeless?
Yes.

Yes ambulance.

I lost them 2 years ago.

My car.

Is that where you live.

Yes.

He shook his head no.

Why not?

He told me where it was.

And he's a young man.

Thank God you were the one who helped him. Someone else would have placed him back in his car. Thank you for what you do. God bless you.

Thank God you were the one who helped him. Someone else would have placed him back in his car. Thank you for what you do. God bless you.
I've thought about this for those 2 days it kept me up. Legally it's a grey area. The law does not require we provide housing. But I believe I would have a negligence exposure if I left him in those conditions. Or on the side of the road etc.

Back