xtre install walkthrough??

Just follow the install manual. Very easy to do. The wire you cut going to the ECU is the one showing. I didn't even unplug the harness from the ECU. Other than that it's a cake.

does anyone have pictures and explaination for the installation of the xtre module on a k8??
The instructions could be a little more detailed, but if you read it a few times over for each step, you shouldn't have any problems. Any certain part of the install you're unsure of?

The instructions could be a little more detailed, but if you read it a few times over for each step, you shouldn't have any problems. Any certain part of the install you're unsure of?

the very begining...says to removed the fuse box and something else to allow access for cleaning (the paper is in my garage)...and best i can tell i don't have to move anything. secondly, counting out the wires from "right to left from the back"..... what does that mean hehe, i see a few black and green wires.....:stoopid:

the very begining...says to removed the fuse box and something else to allow access for cleaning (the paper is in my garage)...and best i can tell i don't have to move anything. secondly, counting out the wires from "right to left from the back"..... what does that mean hehe, i see a few black and green wires.....:stoopid:

Part 1: Cut Your Wire Correctly

(1) Seat is off, right?
(2) Notice the Electronic Controller Module (ECM) held in place by rubber-band - looks like an over-grown Nintendo cartridge.
(3) Notice two plugs plugged into ECM; one on left is gray, one on right is black - * you care about the black one on the right. At this point, might as well remove the rubber-band holding ECM down, and unplug gray and black connectors, noting their position
(4) From the side of the bike, facing the back of the bike, looking down at the black plug (if still in same position as was when plugged in), the wire you care about is, counting from right to left, the 6th wire. This part is confusing because there are *not* 6 actual wires. I think there was one at the far right, then some blanks?? then the 6th spot holds the wire. It is black, with a thin, not necessarily dark green stripe, with some darker green blots on it.
(5) Peel back some of the electrical tape at the base of the wire cluster of your plug
(6) Now, cut your wire perpendicular (flat) to the direction of the wire, about 4 cm's back from where the wire meets the plug that plugs into the ECM. ** This is important so that you have enough slack for if you want to reconnect/solder the wire later.

Last edited:
Part 1: Cut Your Wire Correctly

(1) Seat is off, right?
(2) Notice the Electronic Controller Module (ECM) held in place by rubber-band - looks like an over-grown Nintendo cartridge.
(3) Notice two plugs plugged into ECM; one on left is gray, one on right is black - * you care about the black one on the right. At this point, might as well remove the rubber-band holding ECM down, and unplug gray and black connectors, noting their position
(4) From the side of the bike, facing the back of the bike, looking down at the black plug (if still in same position as was when plugged in), the wire you care about is, counting from right to left, the 6th wire. This part is confusing because there are *not* 6 actual wires. I think there was one at the far right, then some blanks?? then the 6th spot holds the wire. It is black, with a thin, not necessarily dark green stripe, with some darker green blots on it.
(5) Peel back some of the electrical tape at the base of the wire cluster of your plug
(6) Now, cut your wire perpendicular (flat) to the direction of the wire, back from where the wire meets the plug that plugs into the ECM. ** This is important so that you have enough slack for if you want to reconnect/solder the wire later.

If you need help with anything else... I can make a part two. :laugh:

Last edited:
If you need help with anything else... I can make a part two. :laugh:

I found the GPSensor plug by looking under the tank from the right side -with the tank up in the air, looking to the left side and down. I used a bright LED flashlight to find it.

Last edited:
I found the GPSensor plug by looking under the tank from the right side -with the tank up in the air, looking left and down. I used a bright LED flashligh to find it.

Mine was on the left side of the bike (if facing the bike's front, or sitting on bike), contained within a metal wire holder bracket, but I found it looking from right side. :)

Last edited:
In the end when you have your cut wire butt-connected and your TRE all plugged up and you are let with the red wire... and the instructions don't make exact sense to the lay-person...

At this point, I just decided to attach the red wire to the positive battery clamp. I just loosened the phillips-head screw, removed just enough of the plastic sheath ??? to go the width of the clamp and slid the bare wire into the clamp and tightened.

Instructions say this is fine, so long as you ride your bike at least once per month... otherwise advises to remove red wire from battery.

I was considering getting the xtre but I found that you cannot turn it off. It says on all the time. Conversely the GI-PRO is switchable, you can turn it off. I like this option because turing the fucntion off will save fuel when I need to and then I can always turn it on when I want added performance. Anyone running a K8 with the GI-Pro?

On my XTRE install instructions the color on the ECU wire was not accurate. I think it was blue and green, not black and green, or something like that.

I was considering getting the xtre but I found that you cannot turn it off. It says on all the time. Conversely the GI-PRO is switchable, you can turn it off. I like this option because turing the fucntion off will save fuel when I need to and then I can always turn it on when I want added performance. Anyone running a K8 with the GI-Pro?

Does GI-PRO break the gear indicator? I wonder if there are any performance differences... I guess if it makes all gears the same map, prolly not. Can you apply 4th, 5th and 6th gear maps?

GI-PRO vs Xtre - only difference is the Xtre cannot be shut off, the Xtre does not need a gear indicator LED because it works with the in dash OEM indicator. Both have the same identical maps same performance. I like the GI-PRO option of shutting it off when throttling up in crusing mode with the desire to be fuel efficient. Then when I want more performance I can always turn on the mapping. They didn't mention that to you when buying the Xtre?

GI-PRO vs Xtre - only difference is the Xtre cannot be shut off, the Xtre does not need a gear indicator LED because it works with the in dash OEM indicator. Both have the same identical maps same performance. I like the GI-PRO option of shutting it off when throttling up in crusing mode with the desire to be fuel efficient. Then when I want more performance I can always turn on the mapping. They didn't mention that to you when buying the Xtre?

Now that I think about, I do remember that one. So, the GI-Pro can or cannot use the OEM indicator? That is more important to me than fuel conservation on the Busa. Don't want an external gear indicator.

That's cool that you can shut it off - I really dig that, but again, fuel efficiency is not too terribly important to me... especially with the great gas prices right now!

BTW, I wonder how much more efficient it is to use the standard maps. What if I just drive conservatively using map 5? :laugh:

Why not a TRE that does it all!! Haha

Last edited:
Back