Do I need a power commander?

txbikerdude

Donating Member
Registered
I have a 08 Busa, XTRE, and two bros slip ons. Is there any benefit of getting a power commander? I do plan on adding on more later, but Cycle Gear has a good special on the power commanders...

did you notice a difference when you put the slip ons and XTRE on? If you haven't noticed any issues then the power commander isn't going to help much. With my 06 I noticed a significant hesitation on the low end after adding slip ons, the power commander took care of that.

If you are going to do a full exhaust later and the power commander is a good buy and you have the cash, I'd say do what makes you feel the best about the situation.

The 08 has a closed loop system and will self adjust to a perfect AF mix. unless you want to mess with the timming don't waste your money on a Power commander. I have a Yosh full system and look at the AF at the bottem . Dead on.

Dyno_numbers.jpg

The 08 has a closed loop system and will self adjust to a perfect AF mix. unless you want to mess with the timming don't waste your money on a Power commander. I have a Yosh full system and look at the AF at the bottem . Dead on.

interesting, thank you

Only problem is that it isn't true. The Gen-II system WILL NOT self adjust to the perfect A/F mix.....

there is no car/bike that will self adjust the air/fuel at WOT. it does it for cruising and light throttle only.

txbikerdude, if your gonna get a custom tune once you put on the PCIII then yes buy it it will make a really really big diff. and prob be making close to if not 200hp. if your not gonna spend the extra $400 to tune the bike then save the money your gonna waste on the PC and put it else where. These bikes run rich as hell from the factory. running it with no PC will yield pretty good results but for max hp and performance take it to a well known tuner and have him tune it. the maps that they have on the PC site are garbage even the ones that brock sent me are no good. my bike ran better with a stock map rather than with the brocks map. so there you go now the decision is up to you

It's because EVERY bike reacts differently to mods. You can't just load a canned tune into a PC and expect it to work for EVERY bike. Even Brock's are just a starting point to get you close. You should be checking ANY map you load into a PC to verify the A/F is correct. Sometimes the PC doesn't take the map and if you are making big power you could hurt the engine. Anytime you make changes to the intake or exhaust on any car, truck, bike, etc. you need to get it on a dyno, track, or some other form of tuning tool to get the most out of YOUR setup. No two bikes react the same to mods.....

It's like saying you'll run faster if you eat a Big Mac. Well you might go faster with a Big Mac but Joe might go faster with a Whopper. Some people don't like Whoppers so Whataburgers are the best in the South, etc.... :laugh:

there is no car/bike that will self adjust the air/fuel at WOT. it does it for cruising and light throttle only.

txbikerdude, if your gonna get a custom tune once you put on the PCIII then yes buy it it will make a really really big diff. and prob be making close to if not 200hp. if your not gonna spend the extra $400 to tune the bike then save the money your gonna waste on the PC and put it else where. These bikes run rich as hell from the factory. running it with no PC will yield pretty good results but for max hp and performance take it to a well known tuner and have him tune it. the maps that they have on the PC site are garbage even the ones that brock sent me are no good. my bike ran better with a stock map rather than with the brocks map. so there you go now the decision is up to you

200 HP from bolt ons and a PC :rofl::rofl::rofl:

So why is the air fuel ratio lines on the bottom of my dyno chart on top of each other. I am thinking that it is perfict. Oh yea the air cleaner was removed also. It does not look rich to me.:moon: My 08 has no PC just a yosh full system with the air cleaner removed and the exaust can removed. One of you smart guys please explain my Dyno Chart. The dyno dude said that it needed no adjustments. Closed loop is closed loop.:moon:

Dyno_numbers.jpg

huh? I would really have to disagree with that.. Got way to many hours working with closed loop systems to buy this...

the MAPs are setup to run a different A/F ratio at WOT (sensed through the MAP sensor (no relation to the fuel MAP) and the TPS reading.. Max power on gasoline is around 12.5/1 where cruise economy is more like 14.7/1

the 02 sensor now comes in and throws another parameter into the mix by giving real time A/F estimates at the exhaust.. (can be fooled however by excessive rich/lean conditions and why they are only able to adjust by a fixed %)

Personally if all I was doing was some basic changes, I would see about flashing the existing ECU with the available tools.. Gen 1 bikes do not adjust A/F on the fly like the Gen2 bikes (Gen2 runs closed loop) Your Gen2 could probably get away without any PC or Flashing of the existing ECU..

Last edited:
Back