Would you be comfortable riding like this?

That would be me... and that's cool.

A debate on social responsibility vs parental responsibility is far beyond the scope of this board and would likely be heated.

When I was a child, my mother allowed me to do things that many would say were unsafe... in fact, they were. Riding around helmet-less on the back of her biker (and I mean H/A biker) boyfriend's chopper would certainly be one of them. My dad had one too.... rode on that without a helmet too. Those were "the good ol' days" as it were.
Honestly, I could have died... but didn't. Those experiences are forever a part of my ongoing life that could end at any time no matter how much I tried to take precautions to avoid it.
I would not trade those experiences for 10,000 safe days.

In my years, I have been hurt and scarred physically many times. Emotionally and spiritually even more. I would not trade those either. They make me who I am.

When I was 17 I used to ride sport bikes in Los Angeles. No shirt, no helmet...an occasional wheelie and plenty of speeding on those hot SoCal summer days. I dated strippers, played in a metal band, slept on doorsteps at times... it was absolutely risky and absolutely Glorious.

All these things and 1000's more have shaped my views on freedom, and what it is. Freedom to experience in this short life is priceless, even if the price could be risking it all.

That's me. Others are different. I respect everyone's idea of what a great life is... even if that's being safer and living longer.

Those risks and experiences started for me long before I was old enough to legally decide for myself. My parents decided, and I personally cherish that I was allowed to experience early on.
That has come at a cost at times, but again... I am happy with the choices that were made on my behalf.

For that you see, I still believe it is the parent who is responsible, because they are responsible for more than a child's safety. They are responsible for more than just keeping the child alive, but also showing them what it's like to live.

I don't begrudge others for the choices they make. I don't even begrudge them when it affects me as long as that wasn't their intent and isn't absolutely reckless. We all share this playground after all so let's make some use of it while we're here.

Humble Opinions Expressed
Sean

Yes, I too have a history of laughing in the face of danger and basking in the unbridled rush. I see no disagreement with you other than to restate the adult's responsibilities. Freedom can co exist with seeing to the use of proper equipment. To clad a kid in protective clothing, I would argue, allows the kid potentially to access freedom for many more healthy years. Being a "free spirit" doesn't go away just because one uses technology for personal protection. Before I ride with 10 Busas tomorrow, I will dress in body armor, boots and high end helmet. If I were taking one of my young loved ones along, I see no reason to dress him/her in anything less. Raydog

I ride with my 9yo daughter. She LOVES it! She also looks to me for an example of rational behavior. I would not disappoint her by failing to provide her with protective gear. I don't believe for a second that gloves, pants, jacket, and boots are going to dilute the experience for her. (I loved the gear at that age. Made be feel pretty badass!) Hopefully it will instill her with the habit of dressing for the crash.

She wears good gear. Her helmet is much nicer than mine! She also sits on the Corbin seat with a backrest - That thing makes a world of difference!

here is why this is wrong. :rulez:
i grabbed this picture off the org. this is what it looks like to wipe out in shorts and sandals. :down:

weargear.jpg

do you want your child to go through that ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ?

would you not just beat the crud out of your self?

the freedom of 1 second of riding naked is just not worth the risk! i would rather have a lifetime of riding and sliding w/o injury, because of gear.

i don't care if my family trashes $10,000.00 worth of gear. it costs less than skin grafts! :rulez::banghead:

Back