a ride across the country

TommyGunn1300

Registered
If you were going to ride your busa across the country from Raleigh, NC to Los Angeles and take 10-12 days to do it, which way would you go? What would you stop to see? How would you plan your route? (not straight shot down 40) how would you prepare your bike and your body now for a trip in the fall? Anyone ever done anything like this before? What was it like? this would be a one way trip and having the bike shipped back to NC while i hope on a plane

lets hear your ideas

i suggest to take I-95 South to I-10 West to the coast, you'll be able to see some of the rebuild form the hurricanes which are really nice. also it's a bit warmer down this way. after entering Texas, i wouod hit I-45 North to Dallas, I-20 West to I-35 North to Oklahoma I-40 West . be carful going thru New Mexico.
prepair your route and look for cycle shops along your route, just in case you do have a problem with your bike. when you get to your destination get oil changed, check your tires...rest for day or so and head back...go north/east???
Good luck:thumbsup:

Biggest thing is to check your tires. Your route will be anywhere from 2,500 to 3,000 miles. Other than that, just what do you want to do and see ? For me, from where you are to the West side of I-35 (interstate running North/South from Texas North) is BORING and full of A ZILLION cars and trucks. I would plan on making time to get west and spend it in NORTHERN NEW MEXICO and Arizona (as in GRAND CANYON AREA) , along with the Salt Flats (if you've never seen them before) .
I like Historical Military Forts and there a LOTS of them in NM, Southern AZ.
So, what do you like to see ???

i'm more into seeing things i've never seen before. what are some must see roads to ride west of texas? i was going to try to pin point a bunch of locations on a map and try to just connects the dots and see all i can

then include I-70 West of Denver. Beautiful scenery, but its boring until you get to Denver.

I would find it hard to skip over Colorado, I second Sous's recommendation of the million dollar highway. :beerchug:

Edit:

Not to mention in Colorado you have the country's highest mountain with Pike's Peak, Garden of the Gods, a spot where you can step into 4 different states in a stride or two (however technical you want to be about it). Don't ask me the practicality of visiting all the aforementioned places :dunno:

thanks for the ideas. i wish i could just do it all and not come home until i was done. as of now, the million dollar highway is up at the top of my list for sure

when would be the best time of the year to do this? i was just reading on the dollar highway and it said snow season started in october?

i like roadside amaraconna. check our road side america http://www.roadsideamerica.com/ , go see rushmore and the worlds largest frying pan or ball of twine. camp out a little if you can. plan for a day of rest in the middle of your ride.
and don't forgit to take lots of pics!!:rulez::laugh:

check out a few of my trip logs. they might give you an idea what it might be like for you. :beerchug:

Back