World's scariest job !!

Yup, vid gone. Copywrite problem.
But from what I gather it was a job performed up in the air. Can't do that.
I don't do heights. Can get used to being on a roof after a few moments, as long as I don't get too close to the edge, but that's about it.:laugh:

Ooooof.......Nooooooooooooooooooo WaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaY..

So I watched the video all the way thru waiting to see why the heck they were climbing it but it just ended ?
What were they there to accomplish ?
Crazy they are 'free climbing' most of the way cuz its easier ?
And man it would suck to be up there and have a Florida thunderstorm roll thru !

I beleive they were simply changing the bulb.

But I have a really good question, why not go up in a helicopter?

Like these guys....

A helo would cost more than 30 bucks an hour ?

Right, but how many hours are wasted going up and down a 1800 ft ladder? They were near the top when that video started. I have to assume it take a good hour just to climb.

But even so, you're probably right.

Right, but how many hours are wasted going up and down a 1800 ft ladder? They were near the top when that video started. I have to assume it take a good hour just to climb.

But even so, you're probably right.

In the video it said they first took and elevator up to 600ft mark so they only had to climb 1200ft , only :laugh:

Also it may not be legal to fly that close to antennas or towers ?

Can you imagine the leg muscles those guys must have ?

That would be cool, and the video is not correct to my knowledge about tethering. A worker must always be tied off to a lanyard, even when tower climbing, hence the reason the other climbers face was blurred. Who wants to be on TV violating OSHA and company specific safety rules? I would have to find the specific rule, but I cant climb a pole without fall protection. Always wanted to do that. :beerchug:

Not only their legs, but check out the forearms on that dude...his name might as well be Popeye. I think the danger in having a helicopter would be the wind at that height not to mention the swaying antenna. It wouldn't be illegal, just all parties involved would have to consent (and make sure insurance was paid up). :laugh:

I get the heeby jeebies even flying over those tall antennas. At least if one or both of my engines quit I can still glide it. I'm surprised they aren't required to wear parachutes.

That would be cool, and the video is not correct to my knowledge about tethering. A worker must always be tied off to a lanyard, even when tower climbing, hence the reason the other climbers face was blurred. Who wants to be on TV violating OSHA and company specific safety rules? I would have to find the specific rule, but I cant climb a pole without fall protection. Always wanted to do that. :beerchug:

I would tend to agree with you but there were so many places in the last few hundred feet that it just didn't seem possible to constantly be tethered ?
He's going up those rungs and I don't see how he could tether unless he took a step unhooked and hooked one rung higher then took a step unhooked and hooked one rung higher ? And to be constantly tethered he would need two wouldn't he ? One to be hooked and one to move ?
That would take forever ?

I'm chicken!!! there's not enough feathers in the world to cover my chicken butt on that tower video!

That's waaaaaay up there. Awesome! At my job we are required to have fall protection above 6 feet! :laugh:

i like heights and that creeped me out! i have been two hundred feet in a man basket hanging from a crane. that was ok, as there was no climbing involved. most times they are required to be tied off, but in that situation at times it is more dangerous to be tied off. and i am sure that guy gets more than 30 bucks an hour. electricians that work on the ground get that around here.

Back