Won't start?

Busada

Registered
Went for a ride this morning, made several stops bike started as usual. Drove it to a little town, parked it walked around for an hour and a half, went to start it an it just turned over. I could hear the fuel pump engage, tried again, not even a pop. Could not smell any gas fumes after holding the throttle wide open. Let it sit for 30min. tried again and it started and ran fine. Got home, shut it off and restarted it several times. waited about 20min. tried to start it and same thing no go.
Waited for about 30min. tried again fired right up no misses no sputter ran fine. It does have a new pump, stator, battery, regulator. This is a 99 model, any Ideas?

I removed the filter from the fuel Pump and put inline from the tank. I also replaced the boot around the pump housing. I haven't checked the new fuel filter yet. But I will.

nope there isn't. It was 90+ outside , was wondering if something over heated while sitting. After shutting it down it starts right up, it's after it sits for a bit it won't start. After 20-30min. it starts fine.

I know you said you had a new battery, however, I have heard of new batteries going south very quickly form a bad cell etc.
Not saying that is for sure your problem but might be worth checking it out.

Could you put a battery charger on it (not a trickle charger) when it won't start just to see if it might start?

If not, do you know anyone else that you could borrow a battery from for a day or two?
Just my 2 cents.

I think you have a poor electrical connection somewhere, and possibly at the battery terminals. When they heat up to a certain temperature, the connection is poor and there is not enough current to turn the starter. When it cools off a bit, the connection gets better and allows enough current to pass through for the starter.

Do this: try to move battery cables at the terminals with your hands. If you can, here is your problem. Another thing to try: feel battery terminal with a hand one at a time. Let's say they are room temperature. Start the bike, and shut it off a few times in succession. Immediately after that feel the battery terminals again. If one of them is hot or very warm - here is your bad connection.

An additional point: since you bike is '99, it is very likely that some connections in all connectors on your bike deteriorated. They may still be OK, but the bike may start sporadically shut off the engine, or give you codes, and things like that. To prevent all of this from happening, it would be a good idea to spend a few hours on the following: disconnect every connector on the bike one at a time, inspect with a flashlight for any grease, etc. Clean with a contact cleaner spray (Wear eye protection!), stuff every connector with dialectric grease (buy a tube in any autoparts store), and close them up. You will never have that connector go bad.

Thanks, I have done much of that. The bike turns over fine. This just started happening yesterday. Rode the bike it was hot out side parked it went walking around for 3min. went to start the bike, it turned over fine but no go. Tried starting it about 8 times battery never ran down. OK then I let it sit for 30min and it started right up, turned it off several times and restarted it. Drove 32 miles home put it in the garage shut it down and restarted it 4 times. Then I let it sit for 20min to allow the heat to build up (with motor off) tried to restart it and once again it just turned over. Waited 20-30min. and it started fine, shut it off and started it about 6 times. I don't know for sure but I think when it sits for a bit it is heating up and something is tripping in the fuel or starting system. Thanks for the response everyone. There are a few connections I thought were a little loose will check again. ???

Back