won't start after new plugs installed

rickeyradfo

Registered
This topic may have already been discussed but I'm a newbie to this awesome board. 99 Busa ran flawlessly until I replaced the spark plugs and air filter. Pulled new plugs and they were wet. Recharged the battery and put old plugs back in and bike ran fine. however three days later it would only turn over and would not start. again, replaced the spark plugs and bike ran fine. one week goes by and the same thing happened. engine turns over strong and when I replace the plugs it starts fine. Checked ground and fuel pump and r2d filter just in case. No issues with this until I "tuned" the bike up, now am having this starting problem.....any help would be appreciated

When you change the plugs were they fouled out? It could be running to rich... do you have a power commander installed?? Give a list of modifications to the bike and the guru's here are more likely to post up...

The spark plugs were wet with residual fuel, not dark colored like when a bike runs rich, just slightly brown,.no powercommander, all 100% stock, stock airfilter, stock pipes etc,...I did see a liitle rust on the ends of the plug caps where the tips of the plugs attach so I wire brush cleaned them. Bike starts and runs every time now but I'm not 100% confident. Bike has 70,000 miles on it....

smile.gif
I found rust on the end of the spark plug caps where the spark plug connects to the caps (usually with a click) The bike is a 99 year model. I had never cleaned the ends of the caps and rust had accumulated and reduced the amount of contact for the plugs to spark. I removed each cap from the coil and cleaned each one with a Q tip and a little wire brush and alcohol thoroughly. The bike fires up every time with very little turmn over required from the starter. Thanks for all the tips and feedback.

Back