wire mesh inserts

masada_1

Registered
I put some wire mesh inserts on the sharkskinz bodywork of my R6 (fiberglass bodywork) and just glassed them in from the backside.

I'd like to put some mesh to cover the holes on the stock abs for the busa. Not quite sure how to do it. The upper has the mesh stock, and it looks like they just melted some plasic in at a few points to anchor it.

Anyone have any good ideas on how to do it well so it will hold?

Mas-1,
If you do a search for fairing screens, you will find that this is a pretty common mod. Most of us just use epoxy on the backside of the fairing to hold it in, I don't know that anybody has melted them in like they come stock in the upper.

Again, search for fairing screens.
Hope this helps.

Several threads on here about putting mesh in the side and tail fairings of the Busa. People have used gutter screen or autobody screen (as I did) and a tube of red Goop to secure it to the inside of the fairings. Turns out pretty good. Couple of pics and you can find more by searching for fairing screens.

BabyJScreenFairings-Right.jpg

BabyJScreenFairings-Left.jpg

BabyJScreenFairings-TailRight.jpg

BabyJScreenFairings-TailLeft.jpg

I put some wire mesh inserts on the sharkskinz bodywork of my R6 (fiberglass bodywork) and just glassed them in from the backside.

I'd like to put some mesh to cover the holes on the stock abs for the busa. Not quite sure how to do it. The upper has the mesh stock, and it looks like they just melted some plasic in at a few points to anchor it.

Anyone have any good ideas on how to do it well so it will hold?
The best adhesive found so far to do the screen mod is an automotive adhesive called GOOP. You can find the reddish color tube at most auto parts stores. There are several good attributes about GOOP. First, it's clear. Second, it holds like steel. Third, it's very resistant to high temps. as opposed to hot gluing them in (don't even consider hot gluing them...). And lastly, the hold is so strong, the screens will actually have to be ground out to remove them. The bonding characteristics are awesome.

Thanks for the tips guys, Nice pics BBS!

Sorry I didn't do due diligence on the search (I only paged back a few pages and didn't see anything on it.)

Yeah I planned on doing the gutter mesh also, (I'm a cheap @ss) I'll try the GOOP!

Here's a link...  
smile.gif

And another...

<!--EDIT|VaBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1110897880 -->

I just recieved the screens as well. I'm going to leave the left rear tailpiece section out, though. I use that grab handle all the time! I'm going to try silicone to adhere them. It's not as permanent and holds up very well to vibrations.

Back