Winterizing the Busa

RX1Jim

Registered
Well due to the tiny bit of snow and ice we got a couple of weeks ago, the roads are coated with salt and sand so it is time to put the Busa away for the winter. Here is my process to winterize my bikes. I'd like to hear about what other members here do to winterize the mighty Busa for a long sleep.
1. Fill the gas tank with 93 octane gas and add a healthy dose or Stabil or Starton fuel stabilizer.
2. Remove the battery and store it inside my basement where it will not freeze. Charge it periodically
3. Give the bike a good cleaning, waxing- an overall detailing
4. Clean the drive chain and relube it
5. Change the oil and filter
6. Clean and relube the K+N air filter
7. Check the tires for major cuts and nasty objects like nails. Fill the tire pressure to the recommended pressure
8. Plug the exhaust with rubber corks to keep the mice out
9. Bleed the brakes and clutch circuits, to off with fresh DOT 4 fluid
10. Set the bike on a front and rear stand to prevent the tires from forming flat spots

Thanks!!

Jim

Personally, will not touch brake/clutch fluids or the air filter prior to storage but all else sounds good (you will run the bike with STA-BIL in it for a while before storage, right).

Here's mine Winterised :laugh:

post-6209-1354476022_thumb.jpg

post-6209-1354476023_thumb1.jpg

I top the gas off at the gas station and put the sta bil in it there. Ride it home, wash it down, put it on the jacks, hook the battery tender up, and let it sleep. :thumbsup:

I'm thinking about winterizing mine as follows:

1. Remove fuel tank and fill with sta-bil and fuel (just a little, not a lot). Swish around to soak inside and get the sta-bil coated.
2. Put fuel tank in storage location.
2.5. Drink a Corona
3. Lift rear tire off ground and remove.
3.5 Drink another Corona
4. Remove swingarm
4.5 Corona
5. Remove rear end
5.5 Corona
6. Remove all fairings (except for front) and seat
6.5 Take a nap
7. Remove battery, put in the work room connected to battery tender.
7.5. Drink something other than Corona
8. Remove engine
9. Lunch time
10. Tear down engine
10.5 Relax with a Corona and wait for parts

There's a more carefully thoughtout algorithm to this but I don't want to bore you. :laugh:

Ya, that is getting down and dirty :laugh:

I've heard of covering the pipes but wouldn't it be easier to just toss a old sock over the end of it? Does it need to be air tight? I need some :rulez:
:beerchug:

I top the tank with gas, put in a fuel stabilizer, park it in the garage, hook up a battery charger and start it once a week and let it run until it reaches normal operating temp. Shut it off and roll it a few inches so I don't get a flat spot on the tires. Repeat weekly.

Back