winter storage

kkattan

Donating Member
Registered
Hi Everyone. i have about 2 cups of gas in my gas tank and my bike is set aside for winter storage.

i have heard somewhere it is best to completly let the gas run out.. let the engine run until no gas left.. then refil gas then put in stabil.

i have the stabil ready but just wondering.. let gas fully run out and then refill then add stabil
or go ahead and full and add stabil now. (gas is about 1 month old)

thanks.

No idea what others do, but I've been very successful with filling the tank to avoid the excessive condensation build-up, then just trying to run out every month or so to fire the bike up for a few minutes...
smile.gif

I'm sure there are other options; I've considered doing what you've mentioned, but never have...curious to see what others do, especially those in very cold places like MI! Brrrrrr...

No idea what others do, but I've been very successful with filling the tank to avoid the excessive condensation build-up, then just trying to run out every month or so to fire the bike up for a few minutes...
smile.gif

I'm sure there are other options; I've considered doing what you've mentioned, but never have...curious to see what others do, especially those in very cold places like MI!  Brrrrrr...
you except me to take advice from Da Blonde?
smile.gif

just kidding. thanks for your input
smile.gif

smile.gif

smile.gif

I've stored bikes for 6 months or more and here is how I do the Gas. Run it until nearly out (your already there) go to the nearest filling station, but stabalizer in the tank first, then fill, ride home and store (you need to ride home to get the stabalizer into the pumps, lines and injectors). I have NEVER had any problems with this method and I have done it this way for over 20 years while deployed overseas.

I've stored bikes for 6 months or more and here is how I do the Gas. Run it until nearly out (your already there) go to the nearest filling station, but stabalizer in the tank first, then fill, ride home and store (you need to ride home to get the stabalizer into the pumps, lines and injectors). I have NEVER had any problems with this method and I have done it this way for over 20 years while deployed overseas.
okay thanks.. sounds like a plan
smile.gif

is this gas good come spring? gas mixed with the stabil.?

thanks.

okay thanks.. sounds like a plan
smile.gif

is this gas good come spring?  gas mixed with the stabil.?

thanks.
Yes it's good. I've never had a problem, but I would take a 140 + mile trip as soon as I could so I could put fresh gas in it.

What DaCol says is also what the owners manual says.That is the way i also do it

+1 I've read this is how it should bge done
wink.gif

stabil works,but, I believe if you can get to the bike ,running it once a week or so is the ultimate. Actually,if you can get it around the block once or twice even better.
Sitting in the same spot,not being run will:
kill your battery(Battery tender or similar)
can cause flat spots in tires(get bike off its tires,use stands)
cause condesation within yer motor(change oil before firing it up in the spring,or risk slight damage to tranny gears etc.)

You might want to think about some other things too KKat,like taping over your exhaust to prevent spiders,mice,an' bugs from taking up residency inside yer exhaust.
A nice coat of Plexus or wax on the plastics/S100 on the metals. Clean and oil that chain(its bare metal,it'll rust for sure). O ya, back to the Stabil...once yer bike is in the position its going to do time in,open the gas cap and fill it by hand right to the top,dont leave even an inch for moisture.You can refill if required(evaporation) .

hope that helps,

hav a well stored 1...RSD.

thanks everyone !!!

i did the DaCal method.. drove the gas station with little gas.. put in stabil (2 oz) filled up gas to the very top.. drove home.. took battery out. put her up on stands.. just have to do the exhuast pipe covering thing.. espically with my mouse problem
smile.gif

thanks ya all
smile.gif

smile.gif

ive never had a tank of gas last more than 2 weeks during the winter. i ride my bike lol. i think i last filled up on sunday and its about half full. suck it up and ride!
biggrin.gif

I don't understand the logic behind running all the gas out. Sounds a bit nutz to me. And assuming you went that path and then added gas, what makes you think that you won't have a load of pure unmixed Stabil sitting in the bottom of the tank just waiting to find its way into your injectors upon startup?
sad.gif

Here's an idea. Just fill the tank, add the proper amount of Stabil, shake the bike around a bit. Run it a bit. Done deal.
smile.gif

Dont run it out of gas. Fuel cools and lubricates the fuel pump on fuel injected engines. No need to run it out.Fuel stabilizer and a full tank.

I don't understand the logic behind running all the gas out.  Sounds a bit nutz to me.  And assuming you went that path and then added gas, what makes you think that you won't have a load of pure unmixed Stabil sitting in the bottom of the tank just waiting to find its way into your injectors upon startup?  
sad.gif

Here's an idea.  Just fill the tank, add the proper amount of Stabil, shake the bike around a bit.  Run it a bit.  Done deal.    
smile.gif
First thing is you don't run the bike out of gas. You run it low, as in 1/2 to 1 gal left in the tank. Then you put the stabilizer in and fill. The fill up mixes up the stabilizer. Then ride home to have some of the stabilzer run through the system. Then while the exhaust is warm and no humidity or water vapor is in the exhaust system, just plug the ends of the exhaust with shop towels. There you have it -- Stored for
rock.gif

Back