winter sorage do u change your oil?

hemi

Registered
Getting pretty cold here lately in ohio and close to puttin the busa up for the year. Do u guys change the oil before winter storage,or just change it as soon as spring hits. I always use my battery tender and stabilizer in the fuel, at about 2000 miles on the amsoil right now, think i should go ahead and change it before storage?
Posted via Mobile Device

I change it before I put her on the stands for the winter...

Lots of contaminates in used oil. You definitely want to change it as part of your winterization procedures.

If you are going to store the bike for a number of months and you wish to split hairs on being safe, use an Ester based oil and just make it your last change before storage, miles won't do any harm.

Ester based (Group V) are static types of oils and are attracted to metal parts with an electro-chemical bond. This means no more metal to metal start ups. This also means that a film is there before the oil pressure light goes out preventing premature wear of high-stressed parts like cam lobes. The film created is up to 5 times stronger then petroleum oil.

The most damage in engines are done when cold, during start-up when the motor is not used often. The only protection is the remaining oil film, before the oil pump gets the stuff to where it is needed.

Obviously corrosion is not a factor, as the oil film "sticks" to the metal, allowing no oxygen and moisture through.

I buy the cheapest regular oil I can find at Canadian Tire and fill it to the top. Of course, once it's done, I never start the bike 'till the next spring change, back to motul semi-synthetic, with new filter.

Yes, I change mine to either cheap dino grade Golden Spectro or the Rotella 6 from Wally World is good to.

Really? To be honest, I've never changed the oil in my bikes before putting them away. Having said that, it is always stored in my basement and the temperature never goes below 60 degrees. Does that make a difference... stored in a heated environment? I never start it either, while in hybernation... but, as soon as Spring hits, the first thing I do is change the oil.

Change it and dont forget to start it up every 3 weeks or so for atleast a warmup to rid any head condesation.

I may be wrong, but I disagree with starting it. The oil would then be used and contaminated, but then again if you do start it on a regular basis there is probably not much need to winterize. JMO.

thanks for the input, will go ahead and change it before putting her up on the stands for winter. Have always done so in the past, just wondered how crucial it was to change it before storage. I normally don't start it much in the winter, just wait for a decent day that's 40deg or so and take it for a short spin

Back