Windows is at it again.

aka Danksy

Registered
Just got Windows 7 because I am a student and they are offering it to students for a highly discounted rate.

I got Windows 7 Professional 64bit upgrading from XP 32bit

WHAT THEY DONT TELL YOU

is that when you purchase it they don't give you the ISO file they give you some garbage install/compressed folder.

AND if you have 32bit XP which 60% of ALL windows users have, it cannot extract the "box" files associated with Pro64bit.

SO NOW you have to rip apart the folders they so kindly gave you, create an ISO file out of thin air then figure out how to format it to a seperate disk.

if you have a DVD-R you can do this but I do not on my other netbook GREAT

so I went the flash drive route, HOWEVER if you bought a flash drive in the last year it too comes with some GARBAGE AUTORUN file because these companies who create flash storage think they are brilliant.

what that means, is when you try to mount windows 7 ISO on it, it explodes.

GREAT

thank you Microsoft for once again restoring my COMPLETE lack of faith in you as a company.

you managed to ignore an operating system that 60% of your users have, and 3 out of every 4 Vista owners reverted back too.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I am not sure but seems when I upgraded a couple workstations from 32 to 64b XP, I ended up doing clean installs..

Wouldnt the thing "boot" with the install dvd to set up the drive? (now you loose the previous install though)

Did you get the thing to "upgrade" ?

Last edited:
Isn't the trouble more going from 32-64? I've heard nothing good about trying to upgrade from a 32 bit to a 64 bit.

FWIW YMMV

Mac is still doing some pretty good things though. :whistle:

You cant install a 64 bit version of windows over a 32bit version. and even if you managed to some how rip the files off the cd to run on a flash drive and some how get it to install, you will destroy your OS and any data on the drive.

what you could do is formatt your hard drive and barrow a friends vista 64 cd then upgrade to win 7.

per microsoft
Can I upgrade from a 32-bit version of Windows to a 64-bit version of Windows or a 64-bit version of Windows to a 32-bit version of Windows?

No. If you are currently running a 32-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 32-bit version of Windows. Similarly, if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows, you can only perform an upgrade to another 64-bit version of Windows.

uhh isnt it based on the processor you have being either a 32 bit or 64 bit. and that is why only those versions are installed on said machines?

Bootable SD card - CHDK Wiki

I have all the links for a how-to at home because I just went through the same run around a few months back when doing a fresh install from a 4gb micro sd on the laptop. This evening I will post up if you can't get it sorted from that link.

Tell me if you like it - XP still runs pretty dang good for me!

uhh isnt it based on the processor you have being either a 32 bit or 64 bit. and that is why only those versions are installed on said machines?

we had 32b installed on a number of 64b capable machine just because the other client software would not run on 64b..

I later upgraded these boxes and had to do clean installs... glad it was not in vain.... I still see very little (if any) benefit in the 64b OS's for the most part.. All of our software is just to plain jane to take advantage of the extra processing..

Back