Ok Computer Geeks new question - Windows Virtual PC

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
I have some programs that just will not run in Windows 7 (nor in any compatability mode) so, after a little research, I have installed Windows Virtual PC to run programs in Windows XP Mode. What happens is XP turns into a window in itself in Windows 7 (Very Cool, but I bet it eats up a bunch of drive space).

So, since this looks like a clean install of Win XP, just how far to I have to go with making it run correctly -Windows updates (over 100), AV software, etc.?

Tell me what else I need to know, what to do and what NOT to do....

My intent would to never use the browser in XP Mode, just need to install and run a couple of programs that I still need but won't run in WIN7....

Very interesting!
Thanks!

Don't use the default setting for memory, your programs won't run. Are you using 32bit or 64bit on Win7? If you are running 32 then you will have to find the right balance to run program on the virtual and not crash Win7. If you are running 64 upgrade your RAM so you can allocate atleast 2Gigs to each machine.
Treat the virtual just like you would any other PC.

I've got 8GB of Ram and WIN 7 64Bit.

So far running like a dream for the two applications I reallllly needed but lost when I went to Win 7

Back