Windows 8 - The toughest aspect of moving up?

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
Who is using Windows 8 and how difficult was it to learn?

What Operating System did you leave to move up to Windows 8?

What was the most difficult aspect to learn?

I finally broke down an purchased a new computer to replace my old antique HP. The new one should arrive end of the month.

My current computer is running on Windows XP and the new one will have Windows 8 - 64. I'm curious as to how difficult this latest windows operating system will be to learn? From what I've read, some people have difficulty figuring it out.

Any foreword on issues or problem solving I may encounter would be greatly appreciated. :beerchug:

I just got my laptop upgraded windows 8 today...I plan on playing with it when I get home but it looks way different from windows 7. I think you're going to have a hard time at 1st going from XP to 8 but will love it once you got it. There was a huge difference from XP to 7 and I hear 8 is a giant leap forward as compaired to 7.

I have not had the chance to play much yet...but it looks like one of those things that newer generation PC users will get along great with it right off the bat, but the elderly like you that have had XP since the 1920's might have a hard time adjusting at first. :moon:

Don't fret, I'll be in the same boat when/if I decide to upgrade I'm sure. :laugh: I still run XP and Vista on most systems.

My experiences with windows 7 have been awesome, it's WAY better at configuring and installing devices....but Win 8 is designed with touch screens in mind, so the functionality is supposed to be pretty radically different to what we're used to.

Be prepared that some of your older connected devices -- printers, scanners, cameras, etc -- may not have 64 bit drivers that will work with the new operating system depending on how old they are and how concerned the manufacturers were with supporting them. You could be forced to purchase more than a new computer.

--Sky

I just got a Win8 flat panel touch screen.

The metro interface sucks. It is fine looking at little spinning / updating tiles on a phone, but has no place on my desktop PC. The Metro interface is the standard boot screen, but you can access the PC "old" desktop and be in familiar territory. With one exception...no start menu. Not kidding. You have to use a third party app to get that functionality back. I think I am using classic shell. Free app and works just fine.

I like some of the touch stuff, but 95% of my time is back on the desktop with the standard look and feel. Call me if you get stuck....

The metro interface sucks. It is fine looking at little spinning / updating tiles on a phone, but has no place on my desktop PC. The Metro interface is the standard boot screen, but you can access the PC "old" desktop and be in familiar territory. With one exception...no start menu. Not kidding. You have to use a third party app to get that functionality back. I think I am using classic shell. Free app and works just fine.

I like some of the touch stuff, but 95% of my time is back on the desktop with the standard look and feel. Call me if you get stuck....

Agreed. If you don't have a touch screen and don't live in the world of smartphones just use the old desktop interface - it's basically the same. Only thing is I still have problems finding system stuff in windows 8. So far though it is pretty stable.

I think 25 years ago I was using MacOS and it was so freaking simple and easy, virus free too. :rofl:

I'm not a fan. It seems like everytime Microsoft rolls out a new version, be it the OS or Office, it becomes less intuitive to use. I've used it at work. I won't upgrade until I'm forced to.

What? No Start Menu? How do you access the Programs Menu?

I have no use for the touch screen goodies. Thanks for the phone support offer. I may very well take you up on that!

This is a desk top unit. I also purchased new printer and software as well so there shouldn't be any issues in that department as far as compatibility. I knew most of the stuff I am running on XP would not work with Windows 8.

Here is a snapshot of my Metro interface apps listing.

Menu.jpg

It SUCKS as far as I'm concerned. I played with a Laptop a couple weeks ago that had it, it wasn't a touch screen so everything had to be done with the touchpad and keyboard. If your jumping from Windows XP all the way to Windows 8 your really going to be in for a surprise. Nothing and I mean nothing is like any platforms of Windows before 8. No Start Menu is just the beginning, but with a new Laptop you don't have many other choices. Good luck with it!

Here is a snapshot of my Metro interface apps listing.

It looks like to me this front screen is just a visual, touch based START menu. I have no desire to have to keep reaching out to touch the screen when my mouse does just fine for me. While maybe cool for a tablet, not sure it has a place on desktop office PC's. I've seen how you can go to the 'normal' desktop with the start button, and Charlie if there is a way to get it to start like that for Tuf, I think he'd be very appreciative of it...

Let's just say the old windows to the new windows is like a Busa to a Ducati Multistrada. Busa is faster, more fun, reliable, just ain't got no fancy buttons:laugh:

seriously though I think it's a step up even for us old timers. Just takes some time to get used to.

I said it in another thread and I will say it again... Win 8 is terrible, I have had it for over 6 months and it's aweful to use. It was designed for a tablet with touch screens and if you are using a mouse it's miserable. I have gone through the Windows 2012 server training it's not any better. Lots of things just flat moved and changed, yeah yeah I'm old but to change something just to change it doesn't work for me.

HUGE learning curve with Windows 8... Just remember Windows Key + X is your friend and you can touch your mouse to the corners and get around... Word has it a company is working on a program to sell that would put the functionality of the start button back on the desktop...

Good luck!

I've also been using Win8 for over 6 months (was a beta tester) and I have nothing but disdain for it :moon:

You can access the Win7/XP interface easily enough but the moment you open IE or any other native Windows App, bam, back into Metro. [anyone else just hear Berlin singing in their head?]

I agree with what's been said, on a tablet, great. On a laptop/desktop, no way. I'm not ready to trade my computers in for tablets. I still write code and this thing is horrible to work in for me. The laptop that I have it on hasn't been opened in the past month just because I avoid it like the plague.

Back