Wind!

PaNDeM1C

Your Disease.....
Donating Member
Registered
A few things are concerning me.

Ok, when I get the bike over 85 on the freeway (mainly) the wind is overwhelming! Is it because I'm so light? My riding position? The stock windscreen? Stock bike height? Or... is that just normal? The bike actually "moves" and I just dont' always feel comfortable jacking up the speed any more. The first day I rode, I went up to 120 I think and I felt fine. Maybe the wind is blowing and it's hitting me and making the bike move with me... I don't know. Every day I hit at least 100 on this back road and I feel pretty good at that speed. I want to go faster, but there isn't enough road. I guess I'm just babbling. But I'd like some of your thoughts about this.

To break it down, the bike (for me) doesn't feel very safe at high speeds the freeway in my area. The last 2 times I've been on it I've been getting blown all over my lane. I guess it could just be a windy freeway!?

Pan .......it's not your imagination ! The "interstates" are usually more windy than the back road "highways" . Less trees to block the wind and more 18 wheelers to churn it up .

I hate to ride on the interstates for this reason .....give me a country road anyday ! I'd say that 140 on a wooded back road , feels just like 75 on an interstate .

It really does depend on the wind direction and conditions.
I have done 160 or so and felt very stable.you may need to ditch the stock windscreen,it also depends on how much you tuck.
The other thing I found is when I do wear my Fieldsheer leather,(shame on me for not all the time) I do seem to get blown around a bit more......

If your going at those speeds, MAKE sure you're relaxed in the legs, shoulders, arms AND hands. Make sure you have a loose grip like holding your Girl Friends or Wifes hand ! A too tight grip will cause the bike to wander from over controling whether or not you think your doing it. Keep your head tucked (here is where a Double Bubble come in) and above all else, RELAX ! If you tense up your going to put pressure in places you don't want and inturn it will move the bike at those speeds
wink.gif

And Yep, at those speeds a little wind will do alot
race.gif

Thanks. I can admit to being too tense on the freeway. And I think the section I take is more windy than others on I-20. When I get the bike going fast on the back roads it's certainly more stable. Very stable. I always tuck down, too. I might look into another windscreen because the stock one just ain't cuttin' the mustard!

Double bubble will be glorious for you! its hard to tuck behind the stock screen, with this DB it is so much more relaxing and comfortable, not to mention that you can see the gauges perfectly

Which Puig double bubble is better? Racing or Touring? I'm definitely going to buy one but I want the one that actually blocks more wind.

It's the windy conditions. I once rode on a very windy day. The wind actually forced the rear to slide (was blowing from the inside of the turn). I even stopped and checked the bike - it was fine. Try following a truck - similar effect - just throws you left and right. Just lay down on the tank, grip it with you legs, and relax overall - makes a difference.

It's the windy conditions. I once rode on a very windy day. The wind actually forced the rear to slide (was blowing from the inside of the turn). I even stopped and checked the bike - it was fine. Try following a truck - similar effect - just throws you left and right. Just lay down on the tank, grip it with you legs, and relax overall - makes a difference.
+1--around my neck of the woods there are lots of rural areas. Crosswinds really upset the 'busa. I sometimes have to crab a deep angle to keep moving in a straight direction.

Good to know I'm not alone, here! I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong. The fastest I ever took my previous bike was 120 (kat 600) one time. I was just curious because we've all read/seen how the busa is supposed to be very stable at speed. But I guess with windy conditions, it's just as vulnerable as any other bike.

i have a stock screen and i think my bike is very stable at almost all the speeds includingwhen i top mine out once in a while. Only on the very very windy days i get blown around.

Had similar sensations when the bike was new but after we became familiar with each other I don't even notice it anymore. Just relax & lay it over on the cross wind if you have to.

DB windscreen will help. If you have a different lid try it. My Shoei is more stable at speed than either of the other 2. Tight fit clothing helps + going into a full tuck like when your blowing by a big truck or buss.

Try 280 on a late summer afternoon... 95 degrees in the south bay and 65 degrees by my house. All that temp change makes for some serious buffetting. I have a Laminar Limp on my Busa, works great, no tuck until over 90 mph.

Like they said above, a steady grip, keep your sights set ahead (not under the front wheel) and gently guide the Busa (or any bike) down the road.

I've hit changing cross winds that pop me from one side of the lane to the other... watch the cars/trucks/vans ahead of you to see how they are being hit by the wind and adjust your lane position accordingly.

Yep ... if it's a strong side wind just lean into it and keep on rolling. There's not much else you can do but be aware of your surroundings.

Although I'm looking at possibly getting a Puig, I've been informed (Rev) that the ZeroGravity DB is of better quality.

I still have stock so can anyone else chime in...or maybe I'll just start a friggin' poll.

A few things are concerning me.

Ok, when I get the bike over 85 on the freeway (mainly) the wind is overwhelming! Is it because I'm so light? My riding position? The stock windscreen? Stock bike height? Or... is that just normal? The bike actually "moves" and I just dont' always feel comfortable jacking up the speed any more. The first day I rode, I went up to 120 I think and I felt fine. Maybe the wind is blowing and it's hitting me and making the bike move with me... I don't know. Every day I hit at least 100 on this back road and I feel pretty good at that speed. I want to go faster, but there isn't enough road. I guess I'm just babbling. But I'd like some of your thoughts about this.

To break it down, the bike (for me) doesn't feel very safe at high speeds the freeway in my area. The last 2 times I've been on it I've been getting blown all over my lane. I guess it could just be a windy freeway!?
When I first got the Busa I was thinking the same thing as you. I don't know what you rode before but my ither bike is a hundred pounds heavier and has a larger screen. It was a 1000 Honda Hurricane. It seemed alot more stable on windy interstates. I have rode alot of light 600's and at first it reminded me of almost that. But I learned that it has alot to do with your position over 80. I also bought a double bubble like the guys above are talking about and it was like night and day. I am going to get a touring to try it out. The Busa seems to be alot more prone to wind than my heavy bike, but once I got used to it I felt alot safer on the Busa. I think once I relaxed my qrip it all changed. Once you know your bike, then things change. I live out in the corn fields and the winds can come out of nowwhere and scare you sometimes, the busa is designed to have the rider in a tuck position and most of the resistance is the rider not the bike.

it is definately the highway! over time you will get used to it. if you tuck deep under the bubble ,you will feel more control.

Back